Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Thread 2021 -- If you're reading this, it isn't you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rheal Cormier.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Roger Mudd.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
        Roger Mudd.
        My name is Mud, but call me Aloysius Devadander Abercrombie. That's long for Mud.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Lou Ottens, inventor of cassette tape, 94.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/a...tens-dead.html
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Lou Ottens, inventor of cassette tape, 94.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/a...tens-dead.html
            I will have to put a pencil in him and twist.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Marvelous Marvin Hagler has passed away | The Capital Sports Report

Comment

RIP Champ. One of the greatest middleweights.

Comment

BBC Formula 1 Commentator Murray Walker.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Fought perhaps the greatest round in boxing history. Just marvelous! Must have watched the Hearns fight at least 10 times.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Fought perhaps the greatest round in boxing history. Just marvelous! Must have watched the Hearns fight at least 10 times.
                      Golden age of boxing along with the nearing end of the heavyweight division even with Tyson on the way. Hearns, Hagler, Leonard, Camacho, Duran along with Ali, Spinks, Foreman, Frazier, Holmes and I am surely forgetting some key names.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Golden age of boxing
                        Is this really what they call it?

I always think of the golden age of boxing as Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray Robinson, when it had a significant following.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I always think of the golden age of boxing as Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray Robinson, when it had a significant following.
                          WhY - because people told you it was? Yes I've heard the same but sorry for me it's impossible to compare to the overall talent, depth and rivalries of the 80's and 90's.

Comment

The late 60s through the 70s would have to be considered. The '76 Olympic boxing was fantastic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

WhY - because people told you it was? Yes I've heard the same but sorry for me it's impossible to compare to the overall talent, depth and rivalries of the 80's and 90's.
                              No, because if you watch old movies there's always a boxing scene, regardless of class, and now it's a fringe sport like wrestling.

Boxing is like the horses. It's vestigial.

As far as comparing ages, you basically just said Ruth and Gehrig sucked because you never saw them. That is silliness.

Serious question: why was there never a color line in boxing?
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No, because if you watch old movies there's always a boxing scene, regardless of class, and now it's a fringe sport like wrestling.

Boxing is like the horses. It's vestigial.

As far as comparing ages, you basically just said Ruth and Gehrig sucked because you never saw them. That is silliness.

Serious question: why was there never a color line in boxing?
                                Well...there was a color line in boxing. It just broke a generation or two before the other major sports. I am trying to remember the name of the PBS documentary, but it followed Jack Johnson, and then also discussed about how when Johnson finally, somewhat, broke the color line, he actually refused to fight black boxers. Very interesting.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X