Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Thread 2021 -- If you're reading this, it isn't you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

It amazes me how well Mass whitewashes it's history. You must be younger. I remember stones being thrown at students and buses in Boston, threats, property damage and physical violence when I was a kid (during desegregation of Boston Schools). The stuff they showed on the local news stations was heinous. Not just the actions but the people who felt righteous indignation when they were called on to be decent

On a more personal note we were ostracized in our neighborhood for renting to a black university professor and his sister (in school to get a MS). He went to the local Catholic Church and their Bible study. He was shunned, told he didn't belong and to go elsewhere by parishioners.

I have been in more than a few States and Countries and Mass has more than its share of the worst bigoted behaviour. Difference is there are enough Progressives who are loudly outraged by bigotry that they manage to give the impression that it is not acceptable here.
    I am 68 years old, was in the Navy during the first 2 years of forced busing, didn't live in MA the next 3 years, and was just commenting on: most racist city in America.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Vin Scully, 94.
    Dam...

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    In the South they don't care how close you get as long as you don't get too big.
    In the North they don't care how big you get as long as you don't get too close.
    This is accurate. In Detroit, we ghettoized them with white flight to the suburbs and then spent the next 50 years blaming all of the city's problems on its black population and leadership.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    In the South they don't care how close you get as long as you don't get too big.
    In the North they don't care how big you get as long as you don't get too close.

Southern racism is intimate, it is a struggle between two humans sweating and bleeding on each other. It's awful but it's human. Southern whites are in direct competition with blacks as human beings, and they get in close and grapple and cry and grunt. It's an intense, erotic rivalry that is violent like a bullfight or a marriage.

OTOH, for sheer racial alienation and disdain and hatred, for inhumane depersonalization,there is nobody in America to compare with a working class Bostonian.

Last edited by Kepler; 08-03-2022, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied
    Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post

Being a tad melodramatic aren't ya? I don't recall any lynching's in Boston, or Selma to Montgomery marches, civil rights workers being murdered or even a Massachusetts Burning movie.
    It amazes me how well Mass whitewashes it's history. You must be younger. I remember stones being thrown at students and buses in Boston, threats, property damage and physical violence when I was a kid (during desegregation of Boston Schools). The stuff they showed on the local news stations was heinous. Not just the actions but the people who felt righteous indignation when they were called on to be decent

On a more personal note we were ostracized in our neighborhood for renting to a black university professor and his sister (in school to get a MS). He went to the local Catholic Church and their Bible study. He was shunned, told he didn't belong and to go elsewhere by parishioners.

I have been in more than a few States and Countries and Mass has more than its share of the worst bigoted behaviour. Difference is there are enough Progressives who are loudly outraged by bigotry that they manage to give the impression that it is not acceptable here.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Keith Jackson.

Vince was a great one, that is for sure.
    I used two quotes not attributable to him for a joke.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Whoa, Nelly!
    Keith Jackson.

Vince was a great one, that is for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Just??
    Yes, just. I’m not as old as you and I hate basketball so it’s not like I was up on his history

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I just read an account of bills daughter about the treatment they received in Boston. Pretty horrific
    Just??

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    I just read an account of bills daughter about the treatment they received in Boston. Pretty horrific

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Guh.

You can count the number of athletes who were a great man on one hand.

Bill Russell was a great man.

Ironic that the most effective, no prisoners anti-racist in American sports played his career in the most racist city in America.
    Being a tad melodramatic aren't ya? I don't recall any lynching's in Boston, or Selma to Montgomery marches, civil rights workers being murdered or even a Massachusetts Burning movie.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Vin Scully, 94.
    How about that?! Whoa, Nelly!

Trying to channel the Common Man

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Vin Scully, 94.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Perfect. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    And the hat trick is complete

Actress Pat Carroll, 95. She may be best remembered as the voice of Ursula in "The Little Mermaid".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X