This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Around this time last year, the new places being built were prices $200-3500/moth for rent, only around 1000sq ft in size. They were maybe 30% filled back then. When these buildings have low occupancy, they start to become infested with pests. My office building is being treated right now for it due to being about 20% occupied since March. I wonder how much of the rest of downtown is going through the same thing because I know a few people who do still work downtown and they say it's like a ghost town.
    You didn't mention low occupancy you stated low vacancy. Yes low occupancy is an issue, but Minneapolis the city itself will be fine in the long even if a few developers won't be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Remote work will help a lot. People can create communities of intelligence and culture even in relatively small cities. The problem has always been the concentration of the most interesting and desirable work in a few major cities (NYC, SF, DC, LA; to a lesser extent BOS, CHI, SEA). But for example my future son-in-law works out of PHX for a DC company. That's been promised for 30 years but the Plague kicked it into high gear.

If you can work in any of the top 100 cities without any discriminator, many (most?) of us will choose to abandon the major cities and go to places like Raleigh, Portland, Minneapolis, Santa Fe.

I can imagine Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah all spawning cheap, weird Portland-like large towns. And it just doesn't take much influx with such tiny base pops to begin to swing those states towards sanity.

If not for the pandemic*, I’d consider living in a redder portion of Minnesota. I just couldn’t bring myself to live in the Dakotas or Wisconsin.

I want some entertainment. The only thing MT has for entertainment is wondering which of your neighbors is going to jail next for f—king a sheep. Fine dining in the Dakotas is the Olive Garden in GD Fargo. WY is just a Yellowstone death lottery. Utah seems the the most extraordinarily awful place to live, nice to visit sure.

*Yeah, I know
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Hey, that Olive Garden was in Grand Forks!!!
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Couple of things- IMHO, people are overstating the "move". For sure, people will move- that I have no doubt about.

But one of the reasons California is so popular is that it's a great state to live in. Especially the Bay Area- if you examine the area- you'll note that there are some pretty remote areas pretty darned close to the area- but the density in the Bay is much higher. Who would want to live in 100F dry heat when you can live in very comfortable 70-80 F weather- constantly. The whole northern bay is REALLY nice to be in- and you are just a few hours from some incredible wine country. For that matter, the southern bay isn't far from southern areas that are really great.

Farmers are there because things grow, not because they seek a blue state to live in.

On top of the nominal weather, you are also just a few hours away from some of the best skiing on the planet, one of the most spectacular parks, and ocean.

Companies stayed there because it was easy to attract and keep people there.

All the areas that were posted are nice- but their trade offs are a little worse than most of CA.

Unless you really love the outdoors, there's literally nothing in Idaho. Nothing. I love going back, and seeing people, and noting how nice the mountains are, but I would never want to live there again. Most of the Rockies are just like that. It's freaking cold in the winter, and really hot in the summer, and super dry in most flat places. At least there's more things to do here in Michigan to deal with the cold weather.

There have constantly been people moving from CA to ID- was happening when I was going to school, and has been on and off constantly. It never really sticks.

Then the compromise- it's funny to see many people be bothered by the min wage increase being in the bill, and then being bothered by it being taken out. Again, Senator Biden is probably the one directing President Biden- put more in the bill than you want, and know what you are willing to take out before you go into the negotiation. Even better, you get a solid measure from the population of the latter if they can go into a bill later. It makes Joe look like he's really concerned for the masses asap, and plans on doing other things later. It also reminds people that HIS focus is not on the impeachment at all.

That's how I see it, right now. We are less than a month into this administration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

I honestly think about Raleigh, Asheville, Santa Fe, Bend.
            If you want advice on Raleigh, I'm your guy. As we made that exact move 5 yrs ago.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
              Unless you really love the outdoors, there's literally nothing in Idaho. Nothing.
              This was true of the whole continent once.

The Salt River Valley is the armpit of the universe. 5 thousand people lived in it in 1900. 5 million do now.

ID may be the only livable place in the lower 48 by 2100. You never know.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

If you want advice on Raleigh, I'm your guy. As we made that exact move 5 yrs ago.
                Do you work in RTP?

When I lived in Chapel Hill I really did not like going into Raleigh. It felt rundown and neglected -- like the lower end sprawl of LA without the LA.

But I was probably not seeing the better part of the city.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Do you work in RTP?

When I lived in Chapel Hill I really did not like going into Raleigh. It felt rundown and neglected -- like the lower end sprawl of LA without the LA.

But I was probably not seeing the better part of the city.
                  I dont know when you lived here, but i think the city has has been revitalized over the last decade due to medical and tech transplants moving in. Its been boom times for awhile in that respect.

We chose to live north of the city in Wake Forest. More house for less money. Quaint little downtown, etc.
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I dont know when you lived here, but i think the city has has been revitalized over the last decade due to medical and tech transplants moving in. Its been boom times for awhile in that respect.

We chose to live north of the city in Wake Forest. More house for less money. Quaint little downtown, etc.
                    I was there in 1997.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                      Hey, that Olive Garden was in Grand Forks!!!
                      Grand Forks, Fargo, same thing
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• mookie wanna remote from Bangkok
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Grand Forks, Fargo, same thing
                          They both have air quality and riff-raff problems coming in from the east.

Comment

Cool!

how bad is the summer humidity compared to MN? That’s honestly one of my questions as I don’t have much experience in southern humidity .
                            being purple-ish, coast not too far away, jobs, somewhat affordable housing still- make NC an option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Cool!

how bad is the summer humidity compared to MN? That’s honestly one of my questions as I don’t have much experience in southern humidity .
                              being purple-ish, coast not too far away, jobs, somewhat affordable housing still- make NC an option.
                              Humidity is fairly similar. Obviously there are a lot more 90 degree days for a longer period. You are trading that for almost no really.cold weather and very limited snow (1 snowfall this winter so far).
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

• It’s hard to beat the UP. Today’s high is 5F, and the air is white and moving briskly sideways. But then in summer we get all the cold rain and a lot of mosquitoes to make up for it, with a growing season that’s almost long enough for radishes before we get snowed in again.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X