Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take it, then immediately propose $2T more.

Learn how to do this. Take everything they offer, then back up 3 steps and demand more.

Learn how to do this.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• The Republican plan screws half of the middle class out of stimulus checks...its a non-starter.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        The Republican plan screws half of the middle class out of stimulus checks...its a non-starter.
        Is it really that hard to figure out who does and does not need a stimulus check? Like my company has stayed open- so regardless of status, you don't need a stimulus check. Whereas restaurants have had to close- so even the $500,000 owner could use a little help- as long as all of their workers are getting help (top to bottom). Same for cinemas and gyms.

It's not as if everyone is shut down.

While there will certainly be fraud- it's roughly the same system that unemployment is there for. Figure out who is declared, what degree, and check their 2019 1040.

Comment

• I wouldn't get one...pretty sure my gf wouldn't either and she was on unemployment part of the year.

I am not sure you are going to win back the suburbs by pretty much ignoring them with Stimulus Checks...
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• The middle class doesn't care about $1000 checks. They care about their 401(k)s and homes holding their value, and maybe tuition debt relief.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The middle class doesn't care about $1000 checks. They care about their 401(k)s and homes holding their value, and maybe tuition debt relief.
              Everyone I know is middle class...they absolutely care about checks. What are you going on about?

(or is this some sort of satire I aint getting)

I know middle class fiscal conservatives begging for UBI for anyone under 75K til this is over. A lot of the Middle Class is living on credit right now especially those making around where the GOP wants to cut off the checks at.
              Last edited by Handyman; 01-31-2021, 12:34 PM.
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Is it really that hard to figure out who does and does not need a stimulus check? Like my company has stayed open- so regardless of status, you don't need a stimulus check. Whereas restaurants have had to close- so even the $500,000 owner could use a little help- as long as all of their workers are getting help (top to bottom). Same for cinemas and gyms.

It's not as if everyone is shut down.

While there will certainly be fraud- it's roughly the same system that unemployment is there for. Figure out who is declared, what degree, and check their 2019 1040.
                But the "industries" themselves do not need help. The people who work in those industries do, including the owners.

So no more bailouts to industry, no more PPP programs, no more interest free loans. Just cut people checks.

And then raise the taxes on millionaires and corporations to get that back. The top 1% have made something like $600 billion during this pandemic. Time to pony up some of that to help out their fellow citizens. say its for the sake of 'unity'.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Kep's in the Beltway. By their definition, middle class are those making $500,000/year.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    Kep's in the Beltway. By their definition, middle class are those making $500,000/year.
                    So his Middle Class doesn't care about the checks, because they're ineligible for the checks.

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• It would be nice if we had a better way to target the stimulus checks to the needy. The blanketing of checks is wasting money.

We dont need these stimulus checks. We still have our jobs. So its nice, but in no way necessary.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

But the "industries" themselves do not need help. The people who work in those industries do, including the owners.

So no more bailouts to industry, no more PPP programs, no more interest free loans. Just cut people checks.

And then raise the taxes on millionaires and corporations to get that back. The top 1% have made something like $600 billion during this pandemic. Time to pony up some of that to help out their fellow citizens. say its for the sake of 'unity'.
                        Not yet. Hopefully them getting back on line will go well. We don't want the people who do work in the industries to become "did".

I agree on the no-bailouts, though- maybe extend some no-interest loans so that incentives.... We will see.

On the only suffering industry we have participated in- they are now giving some more benefits to cruisers out to Sept '22 now. That plan worked for the '08 crash and should work now.

It's pretty crazy that nobody is looking to the people who have more than flourished under this as a source of money. I get the impression sometimes that those 1% want their part of the stimulus, too. As if they would ever use it as intended.

Comment

It's pretty crazy that nobody is looking to the people who have more than flourished under this as a source of money. I get the impression sometimes that those 1% want their part of the stimulus, too. As if they would ever use it as intended.
                          They can never have enough money. Saw on twitter last week, one of the guys whining on CNBC or CNN last week about the Reddit GME play was a 77 year old hedge fund owner worth an estimated $3 billion.

How much do you need to be worth? If I was worth $3 billion, I certainly wouldn't be wrestling with business issues at the age of 77. I'd have been spending the last 40 years doing nothing except what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. Give me $2 million tomorrow, and I'm never working another day in my life.

Comment

They can never have enough money. Saw on twitter last week, one of the guys whining on CNBC or CNN last week about the Reddit GME play was a 77 year old hedge fund owner worth an estimated $3 billion.

How much do you need to be worth? If I was worth $3 billion, I certainly wouldn't be wrestling with business issues at the age of 77. I'd have been spending the last 40 years doing nothing except what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. Give me $2 million tomorrow, and I'm never working another day in my life.
                            I don't get some people. If I was given even $100M tomorrow, I would give quite a bit of it away, immediately.

Comment

I don't get some people. If I was given even $100M tomorrow, I would give quite a bit of it away, immediately.
                              These people are creeps. It's no more complicated than that.

There's a reason financial firms look for sociopaths.

In a hundred years, billionaires will be regarded the way 18th century slaveholders are today. Selfishness and predation raised to the level of psychosis.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 01-31-2021, 01:40 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The middle class doesn't care about $1000 checks. They care about their 401(k)s and homes holding their value, and maybe tuition debt relief.
                                I get your point, but I would draw the line a little higher than just “middle class.” If I get a $1000 check, that’s worth $1000 to me. If enough people in my town get $1000 checks to keep the economy from cratering, that allows me to avoid a $200k loss on my house (and if enough people nationwide, then maybe a similar loss avoided in my retirement accounts).

Please don’t send me a check! Send it where it will do some good, i.e. increase the velocity of money flowing through the economy.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X