Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We as a society have good ideas but seldom think them through end-to-end.
    We are all about immediate gratification, be it not thinking through spent nuclear fuel or what to do with turbine blades.

I have no problem with wind or solar; my issue is lack of large scale energy storage (to get production and demand aligned) and lack of enough high-voltage continental interconnects*.

*MISO and SPP had energy (80% coal and nat-gas produced) for ERCOT during the Texas fiasco, but no way to get it there.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Go concern yourself.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Tim Scott is an ambitious man who does not care what he needs to say or do to be President someday. He sees a wide open lane. c.f. Jindal, B.; Haley, N.
        Yeah well Jindal died on the vine after his chance at rebuttal and Haley's chances are pretty mediocre. (zero if Trump either runs or hand picks someone) They will let you be the "POC Friend" but they won't let you actually lead anything. Hell even when they do they put you in a position to fail. Who the hell puts a neurosurgeon in charge of HUD?

The amount of anger Scott must swallow every time the dog whistle comes out must be insane. (of course he chose this so not sure how much I care)
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          We as a society have good ideas but seldom think them through end-to-end.
          We are all about immediate gratification, be it not thinking through spent nuclear fuel or what to do with turbine blades.

I have no problem with wind or solar; my issue is lack of large scale energy storage (to get production and demand aligned) and lack of enough high-voltage continental interconnects*.

*MISO and SPP had energy (80% coal and nat-gas produced) for ERCOT during the Texas fiasco, but no way to get it there.
          Texas cut themselves off of the grid. So............that's on them. Personally I think more of the grid should be regulated at the Federal level but that's me. As for storage, someone is working on it but you have to get some of this stuff OUT of the private sector. The private sector the way it is constructed now wants the big P and doesn't like spending on research.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Can that build plan also include the disposal plan to go with them?

Wind turbine blades are becoming the non-radioactive version of spent nuclear fuel --> Where do you put them at end of life?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...p-in-landfills
            https://www.npr.org/2019/09/10/75937...by-wind-energy
            You should solve reverse racism before you take this one on.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

We as a society have good ideas but seldom think them through end-to-end.

We didn't think through oil, and all of the problems it has caused. Actual air pollution, water and ground pollution, and now effects of CO2.

Funny how that "normalized" destruction of the planet is ok.

Far, far, far fewer people have died from nuclear issue, even for the waste products compared to coal and oil. Far, far less of the environment has or will be harmed by turbine blades than oil and gas pollution.

Keep asking questions about totally different levels of impact on the earth.

And Texas was 100% self inflicted. Between not having robust transmission systems, not having robust power plants, and not being part of the national grid.

Interesting that your "concern" has found its voice once dumpy got out of office....

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Interesting that your "concern" has found its voice once dumpy got out of office....
                He timed his return after running away for a year perfectly!

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

He timed his return after running away for a year perfectly!
                  He was busy! On the road for work! National security, don'tcha know? Serious ****.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• In terms of the budget and the economy- this is SO much better than a tax cut, especially one as directed as the previous one. Instead of just handing people spending money, the government will get something out of it- so I'm pretty optimistic about it.

Even with the noted problems of trash, making wind turbines in the US is a great thing to do. Good for jobs (so good for the economy) and good for the environment- no shipping pollution and real standards to make stuff here in the US; plus good for human rights- as there's some serious suspicion from china who they are using for labor for some of their emerging markets. The trash issue is tiny in comparison to the benefits.

A smart oil or coal worker should want to move to a considerably cleaner industry. One that's probably higher paying, too.

We need to do the same for solar panels and batteries.

Comment

lack of enough high-voltage continental interconnects*.

I like how you throw enough terms around to sound authoritative while obscuring the real reason. But what else should we expect from someone as disingenuous as you.

Yes, ERCOT is an RTO just like the others you mentioned. But way to gloss over the fact that ERCOT specifically and intentionally chose to be is own independent grid so as to avoid those burdensome federal regulations. MISO and SPP are simply part of the overall eastern grid, hence why they are more interconnected.

The source of the power has nothing to do with anything in that fiasco. It was entirely because Texas is run by a bunch of selfish asshats and chose not to winterize anything.

Comment

• And one thing I definitely heard toward my community was "we have your back," including undoing the horrible guidance of "how to spot a trans person" by the prior administration.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• It's a very small thing, but it would be another symbol of taking our house back from the Nazis.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            It's a very small thing, but it would be another symbol of taking our house back from the Nazis.
                            What, you didn't like the "President Snow from Hunger Games vibe"?

Go easy on Melania, she only got in one year of Slovenian fashion school.

KDR

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              And one thing I definitely heard toward my community was "we have your back," including undoing the horrible guidance of "how to spot a trans person" by the prior administration.
                              Did the Trump Admin suggest grabbing them in the crotch? Follow the leader and all.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

What, you didn't like the "President Snow from Hunger Games vibe"?

Go easy on Melania, she only got in one year of Slovenian fashion school.
                                Magna Cum from SWS, though.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X