This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Loan forgiveness doesn't disgust me, but I'm not in favor of it, at least as it's being discussed. I could be in a favor of it, but with one big caveat. As part of it, you need to fix the problem. A bunch of people age 18-38 with large student debt is not the problem. The problem is the cost of higher education.

If you do loan forgiveness, all you do is help out a select group of individuals from a small window in time. Fix the problem, then I'll support you.
    State taxes should be raised to support schools and colleges like they used to be. Pretty simple. Tax cuts are the primary reason higher education is so incredibly expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

State taxes should be raised to support schools and colleges like they used to be. Pretty simple. Tax cuts are the primary reason higher education is so incredibly expensive.
      This too. The starving of government has been a bad idea all around.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Loan forgiveness doesn't disgust me, but I'm not in favor of it, at least as it's being discussed. I could be in a favor of it, but with one big caveat. As part of it, you need to fix the problem. A bunch of people age 18-38 with large student debt is not the problem. The problem is the cost of higher education.

If you do loan forgiveness, all you do is help out a select group of individuals from a small window in time. Fix the problem, then I'll support you.
        I agree. Problem needs to be fixed.

getting these people out of debt would be huge though.
        Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 12-27-2021, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Free college, **** it.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Free college, **** it.
            I think the first two years should be free, and tradeskills should get bonuses of some sort.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Obviously forgiveness can't be the only thing. Something has to be done to get costs in check. Problem is Biden can't unilaterally do that Congress has to and they're isn't 10 GOPers who would do it in the Senate. They would not even likely back reigning in for profit college let alone giving two years free. So we do what we can.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                tradeskills should get bonuses of some sort.
                Community college and trade schools should ABSOLUTELY be free.

As a proud Liberal Arts graduate, I'm fine having that be stupid expensive and not covered by loans. That path is best trod by the Mandarins -- always has been. Breeding shows. Occasionally.

Law School and Med School and Business "School" can **** themselves, too.

STEM doesn't have to worry, they make it on the back end.

Raise the slobs up to where there is no difference between them and the "middle class" in terms of privilege. That will force them to stop hating each other and start working together to grab control back from the rich.
                Last edited by Kepler; 12-27-2021, 09:37 AM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

That’s only part of the issue. Going back to campus recently, SCSU only vaguely resembles the campus when I was there from 95-99. They added so many buildings, completely updated a number of older buildings, and repurposed many of them, too. Certain updates are necessary to keep up with the times, but many of them seemed excessive to me. Those changes have to be made up somewhere, and SCSU doesn’t have many big donors in its history.

Last year I ran the annualized inflation figures against what tuition was when I started there. Tuition, books, room and board should’ve been a little under $10k/year. SCSU was over $19k on its website at the time.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

That’s only part of the issue. Going back to campus recently, SCSU only vaguely resembles the campus when I was there from 95-99. They added so many buildings, completely updated a number of older buildings, and repurposed many of them, too. Certain updates are necessary to keep up with the times, but many of them seemed excessive to me. Those changes have to be made up somewhere, and SCSU doesn’t have many big donors in its history.

Last year I ran the annualized inflation figures against what tuition was when I started there. Tuition, books, room and board should’ve been a little under $10k/year. SCSU was over $19k on its website at the time.
                    Go back and find out who paid for those buildings. Most of them are paid for by whoever is paying the research bill- which isn't the same tax dollars that should be paying tuition. Being a college professor these days is more about scrambling to get money to fund research than actually doing the research and teaching students.

Most of the tuition bill should be paid for by however your states fund education. That's how it used to be, until people demanded lower taxes at the expense of students having to take loans to go to school.

It may not be the only issue, but it's the most important one.

Comment

• Right Wing Bots are all over Twitter trying to prove Biden lied about having a plan for COVID. They havent been this active before midnight in quite some time. Usually it signals something about to break. I guess it could be the Cawthorn story but that seems unlikely.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Right Wing Bots are all over Twitter trying to prove Biden lied about having a plan for COVID. They havent been this active before midnight in quite some time. Usually it signals something about to break. I guess it could be the Cawthorn story but that seems unlikely.
                        I think it's starting to dawn on them that Biden and the Dems are not necessarily going to go into the midterms with high negatives. Peace, prosperity, and competence are pretty soothing, especially after the incompetent virulence of the Nazis.

They really need to torpedo Biden with some nonsense before he gets momentum as an Eisenhowerian steady hand, and they know they can use the media to chase the shiny lie for ratings.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Could be...they just seem to be latching on to the wrong things. I mean sure they can gaslight their own people on COVID but I mean they are the reason we are the joke of the Western World and 2/3rds of the country knows that. I guess this is what happens when unemployment is low and the "Christmas Gift Crisis" never materializes...

Personally I think they should have stuck to CRT that seems to tick off the Old Whites in both parties.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            I think they should have stuck to CRT that seems to tick off the Old Whites in both parties.
                            They never gave it up, and they will hit it harder and harder as the election gets closer, along with caravans and voter fraud and crime and the rest of the Racism Grab Bag. I'm sure we will be able to measure it by how our "independent minded" conservatives try to inject topics into the threads. Out of concern, you understand.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

They never gave it up, and they will hit it harder and harder as the election gets closer, along with caravans and voter fraud and crime and the rest of the Racism Grab Bag. I'm sure we will be able to measure it by how our "independent minded" conservatives try to inject topics into the threads. Out of concern, you understand.
                              Well I locked Sicatoka so they will take care of reading half of it ;^)
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I think the first two years should be free, and tradeskills should get bonuses of some sort.
                                Schools simply shouldn't be allowed to charge $400+/credit hr for gen eds like English comp and "weed out the B school material" classes like physics and calculus.

Comment

Working...
                                X