Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Pssst... pro tip from someone who's lived it: instead of using academics to argue against Evangelicals, it's easier to shut down people who use the Bible with the Bible. That particular book is full of contradictions.
    But, but, but my version of legitimized hatred is the right one because it says it right here!!11!!!!! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Pssst... pro tip from someone who's lived it: instead of using academics to argue against Evangelicals, it's easier to shut down people who use the Bible with the Bible. That particular book is full of contradictions.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    BC stands for Before COVID now. Sorry Jesus; take a hike.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco View Post
    Catholic church doing Catholic things.
    https://apnews.com/article/personal-...02cd16f04e37b2
    Each parish/church is its own franchise, more or less, with the diocese/archdiocese being Burger King HQ, and the Vatican is then Restaurant Brands International. With each parish only employing a handful of people - rarely more than 10 on the church side and another 30 or so on their school sides, they qualify as small businesses. I think it's a ungodly crock of ****, playing that sort of game. It allows them to skirt a whole host of laws regarding employee benefits, and other benefits you'd expect from an organization as large as the Catholic Church. For instance, many parishes do not offer maternity leave, even though it claims to be the nation's largest pro-life organization out there.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    I rarely do "so glad I'm not like them" thank yous, but there is a growing group of Charismatics who prophesy Trump is coming again.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...469598?cid=apn

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Today is Ash Wednesday. For those who believe, the understanding is it's okay if you don't give up anything this year.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Heh.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco
    replied
    Catholic church doing Catholic things.
    https://apnews.com/article/personal-...02cd16f04e37b2

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Getting kicked out of school is probably the best thing that could have happened to this little girl

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...FGUTOt9TukOHOw
    If I went to that school, I would *say* I was gay just to get kicked out....

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Now you're just channeling 5MinMajor.
    Yeah, we still have Kepler handing out $20 bills.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by burd View Post

Were it not for Christianity, 90% of the world's charity would be lumps of coal.
    Now you're just channeling 5MinMajor.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

While I regard religion as transparent fairy tales the rich use to control the ignorant and weak-minded, the fact that the followers of a given religion are sh-tburgers doesn't really prove the religion is garbage. It just means the followers are garbage.

Christians are loathsome, but Christianity does have a few good points. Cathedrals are nice. Evensong is lovely. Abelard and Heloise wrote the weirdest love letters ever.
    Were it not for Christianity, 90% of the world's charity would be lumps of coal.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    My weak faith/lack of belief comes from those who hear "go in peace to love and serve the Lord" at 11:59 AM, then start barking at me at Meijer about something wildly outside my pay grade at 12:06 PM.
    While I regard religion as transparent fairy tales the rich use to control the ignorant and weak-minded, the fact that the followers of a given religion are sh-tburgers doesn't really prove the religion is garbage. It just means the followers are garbage.

Christians are loathsome, but Christianity does have a few good points. Cathedrals are nice. Evensong is lovely. Abelard and Heloise wrote the weirdest love letters ever.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-03-2021, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    My weak faith/lack of belief comes from those who hear "go in peace to love and serve the Lord" at 11:59 AM, then start barking at me at Meijer about something wildly outside my pay grade at 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Getting kicked out of school is probably the best thing that could have happened to this little girl

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...FGUTOt9TukOHOw
    And she has a Mama Bear in Michigan that will hold her.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X