Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Father Nathan Monk on FB.

I’ve had countless people reach out to me asking my opinion on the issue of the priest who incorrectly baptized thousands of people. If you aren’t aware, here is a quick recap: a Roman Catholic priest recently resigned because he said “we baptize you” instead of “I baptize you” during the sacrament. An investigation happened, and it turns out this priest has been saying it this way since his ordination. The Church has ruled the baptisms invalid.
    And my opinion is: that’s silly.

Most sacraments in the Church can only be performed by a priest or bishop. For example, only a bishop can ordain a priest. Only a priest can hear confession or consecrate the bread and wine during communion. However, under extreme circumstances, any baptized person can perform a baptism.

If you were to find yourself at the scene of an accident and someone requested to be baptized, you could do it. The rules are simple: use water and say, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.” Bam! Baptism.

The Church also accepts baptisms from other churches as valid. If you converted to Catholicism from a Protestant church, they would not require you to be baptized again. As long as the church believes in the trinity, baptizes with water, and does so in the name of the “Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,” that baptism is considered valid.

The reason for this is because the creed says, “we believe in one baptism,” meaning you can only be baptized the one time. To require someone to be baptized a second time would be considered heresy.

In my personal and professional opinion, this is an absurd response, and I can not find anything to justify it in canon law. The Roman Church choosing to allow the sacraments to take place in the vernacular post-Vatican II was bound to cause these types of variations in liturgical practice. Most especially for bilingual clergy, as was the case with this priest.

I can not personally find any justification for declaring these baptisms invalid; they may be illicit but not invalid. Illicit means whenever something is done outside the protocol or authority of the Church. That is how baptisms of Protestant churches are viewed, valid but illicit.

I think the response of the Church to this incident is legalistic and cruel. It is cruel both to the congregants, drawing into question the validity of their baptisms, weddings, etc., and it is cruel to this priest. And, as an aside, I find the swiftness with which they handled the alleged misuse of one word within the baptism ritual verses *gestures broadly at all other issues within the church as a whole* is just flat out appalling.

In conclusion: whether you got dunked or sprinkled, no matter the gender of the person who did it, or the words used, if you were baptized in the name of the trinity, you are baptized. Period, the end, and I can’t believe this has become such a scandal.

Actually, yes, I can.

Because the decision came down from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and this absurd story broke right after Joey Ratz aka Pope Emeritus Benedict the 16th was called to the carpet for how he handled another scandal within the Church. And guess where he was in leadership before being appointed pope? The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith! And guess which story we are talking about instead of that? The one about a priest saying “we” instead of “I.”
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• The whole thing just makes them look like clowns, and yet they wonder why Church attendance in developed countries continues to dwindle every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Oh. NOW they care about getting someone's pronouns right.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Am I suppose to pray over leftovers?
          Me: Lord, it’s me again with this spaghetti…
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• The Ukrainian Orthodox Synod, which is under the Moscow Patriarchate, called out Patriarch Kirill of Moscow for subservience to Putin.

This is the equivalent of a Cardinal telling the Pope to suck it.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• gfy Pat

Pat Robertson came out of retirement to claim that Putin "is being compelled by God" to invade Ukraine in preparation for a massive End Times invasion of Israel.

Comment

• Whenever I see a televangelist or megachurch preacher I pray there's a hell.
                Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Whenever I see a televangelist or megachurch preacher I pray there's a hell.
                  I saw a preacher who spoke of the light
                  But there was brimstone in his throat
                  He'd show me the way according to him
                  In return for my personal check
                  I flipped the channel back to CNN
                  And I lit another cigarette

Comment

• I found this poem:

Beatitudes by Kaitlin Shetler

i just want to remind you that god made people
                    called them good
                    and then drowned them in a flood
                    that your god
                    made mistakes
                    hardened hearts
                    gambled with satan
                    killed his son
                    struck down followers
                    and made rules for slavery
                    and yet you say
                    his judgment is sound

you
                    who mock women at clinics
                    criminalize science
                    persecute children
                    cheer war
                    storm capitols
                    in the name of god
                    aren’t you a pair
                    like father
                    like son

how do you drink jesus’s blood
                    and spill your neighbor’s
                    how do you baptize repentant
                    and drown naysayers
                    when did whiplash
                    get holy
                    when did abuse
                    get trendy
                    i’ve never been good
                    at memorizing things
                    but i don’t remember that
                    beatitude

blessed are the warmongers
                    for they shall find
                    prayers and thoughts
                    and blessed are the pro-lifers
                    for they shall find
                    kettles and pots
                    and blessed are the christians
                    who wave flags
                    and throw stones
                    for they will find heaven
                    underneath others’ bones

and i’m pretty sure the god of floods
                    and horsemen
                    loves imitation
                    so don’t worry
                    too much
                    you’re in fine company

but if you decide
                    one day
                    to try for decency
                    remember this

god may send floods
                    but you can build boats
                    dismantling pews
                    and using the wood
                    for something that will actually
                    save lives

Comment

• International Women's Day.

​​​​​​Most religious leaders I know aren't sharing verses about celebrating women.

Meanwhile, Judges 4 talks about Deborah. Guy named Barak went up to her and basically says "I'm not going to fight this tyrant's army if you're not coming with me." Deborah's like "fine, I'll come with you, but you won't get any of the glory or honor after you win."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...rsion=NASB1995

Comment

• I stepped away from the institutional church.

Not an atheist.

​​​​​​But I really noticed after enough of not being able to attend that it was a social club.

Comment

• Cornell University

Comment

• Submitted with no comment.

The suit stated that Harold was “extremely religious” and also wished “not to be cremated, as he believed his body would be raptured following the second coming.” However, the funeral home notified the family on Dec. 10, 2019, that they ‘accidentally cremated the body’”
                            Also: "Roller-McNutt Funeral Home" is a fantastic name for a college band.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• In 1811, Percy Bysse Shelley was kicked out of Oxford for basically saying "there is no God and this is bull****."

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                In 1811, Percy Bysse Shelley was kicked out of Oxford for basically saying "there is no God and this is bull****."
                                That and, to be fair, he was also an as-shole. :-)

Percy Shelley wrote the poem below for Mary Shelley (author of Frankenstein for you info-maniacs out there).

Love's Philosophy

The fountains mingle with the river,
                                And the rivers with the ocean;
                                The winds of heaven mix forever
                                With a sweet emotion;
                                Nothing in the world is single;
                                All things by a law divine
                                In another's being mingle--
                                Why not I with thine?

See, the mountains kiss high heaven,
                                And the waves clasp one another;
                                No sister flower could be forgiven
                                If it disdained its brother;
                                And the sunlight clasps the earth,
                                And the moonbeams kiss the sea;--
                                What are all these kissings worth,
                                If thou kiss not me?

Wow. Just wow.It was such a lovely poem I decided that I wanted to know more about the context, so I looked him up in my handy, dandy Norton's Anthology. I almost wish I hadn't.

In Norton's I read that Shelley met and married his first wife, Harriet, in 1811. She was sixteen to his nineteen. In a letter to a friend he proclaimed that he would "love her forever." Three years and one child later he became enamored with sixteen year old Mary Shelley and ran away with her, leaving pregnant, eighteen year old Harriet behind. So much for loving Harriet forever. In an attempt to rectify the situation (probably massaging his own guilty conscience) Percy actually invited Harriet to come live with him and Mary as a sister. Like that was going to make it all better. Come to think of it, I'm fairly sure I dated this guy's great-great-great grandson (he was a poet, of course--I've always been a sucker for a good turn of phrase). That is until he fell in love with another girl (you know--while he was cheating on me), told me about it and in the same letter, invited me to the wedding because he still wanted me in his life.

Yeah.

No.

Sadly, Harriet not only didn't join them, she committed suicide two years later (she believed erroneously that she'd been abandoned--while pregnant again--by another man she'd fallen in love with and the prevailing theory was that she simply couldn't handle it. The man himself was on his way back to her having learned that she wasn't receiving his letters. Unfortunately he was too late). To their credit, the courts were so dismayed by Percy's behavior that they refused to give him custody of the two children he'd left with Harriet.

Percy's defense? He believed it was immoral to stay in a loveless marriage. That's right. Percy believed in free love. It it feels good, do it, that was his battle cry. And he went on to demonstrate this repeatedly throughout the rest of his short life, spending money as fast as his family could send it to him, moving from from one place to another as he racked up debts. Eventually he fell out of love with Mary (so much for loving anyone forever) and became enamored with another woman, who happened to be married to a close male friend. Ironically, when Percy was killed in a boating accident in 1822, this friend died with him.

I learned that for a number of years historians did what they could to Whitewash Shelley's personal life, even going as far as to blame Harriet for his behavior. He was a famous poet, after all, she was only a woman. Blaming her was easier than admitting that their literary hero was a cad.

While further researching this, I ran across an essay by--of all people--Mark Twain, entitled "In Defense of Harriet Shelley " . It seems that Twain had no patience with men who leave their pregnant young wives and take up mistresses. Twain's research turned up yet more affairs in Shelley's past and had many choice things to say about him (and the biographers that attempted to whitewash Shelley's history at the expense of Harriet's). Mary Shelley didn't get a free ride either--Twain took an equally dim view of women who run off with other women's husbands.

I love Mark Twain.

In modern day terms, Percy Bysshe Shelley was a jerk (stronger words that come to mind, but this is a PG rated blog, after all). A talented jerk, but a jerk all the same. I think sometimes it pays to know this about those people whose work we admire--that beautiful words don't always come from beautiful souls. That jerks can be brilliant and funny and still be jerks. Further more, this has been true since the beginning of time.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X