Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Honestly, the entire Catholic doctrine on contraception is infuriatingly misogynist and anti-science, at times downright malicious or at least willfully ignorant of reality, and one of many reasons why I am an ex-Catholic. There is also the whole aspect of hypocrisy around men who are supposed to be celibate setting rules about sex for everyone else that sticks in my craw as well.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Of course, we can vote with our feet. These are private businesses, so, never spend a penny in them. Boycott their business partners. Drive them into market non-competitiveness.
    As the article points out, that isn't really an option for some patients. And if you have a doctor you'd prefer to perform the procedure, but they can't under threat of losing their privileges at that hospital, then at what point does a hospital's religious objection to said procedure become an unreasonable burden on the patient to seek another facility and doctor to receive the care their preferred doctor says they need?

This is why we need nationalized healthcare, just like every other civilized country.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    As the share of Catholic-affiliated hospitals increases through M&A, you're going to see a lot more of these stories.
    Given the makeup of the Court, I only expect it to get worse.

Of course, we can vote with our feet. These are private businesses, so, never spend a penny in them. Boycott their business partners. Drive them into market non-competitiveness.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    As the share of Catholic-affiliated hospitals increases through M&A, you're going to see a lot more of these stories.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    God's Not Dead 4: There Is Still Some Money Left in the Rubes' Sofa Cushions

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    These sorts of arguments sound EXACTLY like a bunch of pimple faced teenagers arguing over whether Luke Skywalker would defeat Gandalf in one-on-one combat.
    Yes but it's the one thing the Dumpy Catholics believe in that I believe in.

Here's the thing about a highly authoritarian faith like Catholicism: it doesn't work if you half-a-ss it. In Either/Or, Kierkegaard wrote (about Lutheranism of all things, if you can believe):

Let other complain that the age is wicked; my complaint is that it is paltry; for it lacks passion. Men's thoughts are thin and flimsy like lace, they are themselves pitiable like the lacemakers. The thoughts of their hearts are too paltry to be sinful. For a worm it might be regarded as a sin to harbor such thoughts, but not for a being made in the image of God. Their lusts are dull and sluggish, their passions sleepy. This is the reason my soul always turns back to the Old Testament and to Shakespeare. I feel that those who speak there are at least human beings: they hate, they love, they murder their enemies, and curse their descendants throughout all generations, they sin.
    The Latin mass is Catholicism, and the watered-down vernacular translations of that mass remove both its soul and its fist. God speaks either Latin or ancient Greek. We should really give the Catholic mass in Elvish. Or Klingon. The whole enterprise is FAITH, not reason. "Credo ut intelligam."

It is a mode of Being that rejects the mundane banality of reason and science and logic. It is an aesthetic and tactile experience, a baby at its mother's breast, not an intellectual experience of a technician with a test tube.

The conservative Catholics are terrible people and I wish we would shoot them all into the sun. But about this one thing they are right.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    These sorts of arguments sound EXACTLY like a bunch of pimple faced teenagers arguing over whether Luke Skywalker would defeat Gandalf in one-on-one combat.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    How's your Latin?

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    "I used to pray to God but I think he took a vacation."- Run The Jewels

Me: This MFer spittin.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    If you aren't someone the church would have killed 600 years ago, are you even living?
    That includes every Protestant. I am warming to the idea.

The church didn't give a rat's as-s about your gender or what you did with your naughty bits 600 years ago, as long as you paid tithes to the guys in the funny hats.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    If you aren't someone the church would have killed 600 years ago, are you even living?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    To be fair they aren't always gay.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It's always That Fcking Guy. Always.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Not the Onion.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    It felt so weird to be back in my church yesterday. Yes, good to be home, but bittersweet in so many ways. Not the same energy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X