Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by burd View Post

    Do you know if there are many old manuscripts showing his marked up drafts? What a treat that would be.
    There are drafts and they are interesting:

    https://lithub.com/take-heart-shakes...ty-d*mn-rough/

    Replace the '*' with an 'a' because we wouldn't want to offend the crossfondlers.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-21-2020, 10:14 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

      Huh. That's interesting. Hitherto, despite his sanity on other things, he was just another GOD HATES FAGS pope.
      I can't say with certainty but from what I have seen he was never in that crowd. When he was still cardinal of Argentina he showed support for civil unions then too i believe. Dude's a Jesuit. From what I do know about Jesuits they tend to be less derpy and hate filled. But I'm a lapsed catholic turned atheist so I haven't followed it to close.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post

        I can't say with certainty but from what I have seen he was never in that crowd. When he was still cardinal of Argentina he showed support for civil unions then too i believe. Dude's a Jesuit. From what I do know about Jesuits they tend to be less derpy and hate filled. But I'm a lapsed catholic turned atheist so I haven't followed it to close.
        He's better than Benedict, which is like saying Vader is better than Palpatine, but he's still cray.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

          He's better than Benedict, which is like saying Vader is better than Palpatine, but he's still cray.
          One thing at a time. Remember, several Church astronomers agreed with Copernicus and Galileo, but the muckety-mucks in charge needed time to figure out how to fit the heliocentric model into the context of the Bible so that the Great Unwashed wouldn't be suddenly awakened to its many contradictions.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post

            I can't say with certainty but from what I have seen he was never in that crowd. When he was still cardinal of Argentina he showed support for civil unions then too i believe. Dude's a Jesuit. From what I do know about Jesuits they tend to be less derpy and hate filled. But I'm a lapsed catholic turned atheist so I haven't followed it to close.
            Plus I recall his attitude on gays/lesbians in some speeches being that while the Bible is not in support of it, it's not his job to go after them for it, that's between them and God. Yes that's far short of anything approaching advocating for gay rights, but it's still a notable step forward. Low bar to cross and all, but shouldn't be 100% ignored.

            Cornell '04, Stanford '06


            KDR

            Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

            Test to see if I can add this.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by French Rage View Post

              Plus I recall his attitude on gays/lesbians in some speeches being that while the Bible is not in support of it, it's not his job to go after them for it, that's between them and God. Yes that's far short of anything approaching advocating for gay rights, but it's still a notable step forward. Low bar to cross and all, but shouldn't be 100% ignored.
              Leave them to heaven, and to those thorns that in their bosoms lodge to ***** and sting them.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

                One thing at a time. Remember, several Church astronomers agreed with Copernicus and Galileo, but the muckety-mucks in charge needed time to figure out how to fit the heliocentric model into the context of the Bible so that the Great Unwashed wouldn't be suddenly awakened to its many contradictions.
                Although this is the opposite. Fifty years after Copernicus everybody with the least amount of sense was a heliocentrist (note: which is still wrong, as the Sun is not the center of the universe), but the 99% were still behind and church authority depended upon them remaining faithful. In this case, almost everybody -- even many of the dullards -- have moved way past the church position, but it is still hanging on like grim death to its homophobia and even more to its despicable misogyny. This isn't an advance that an enlightened and intellectual church is delaying until the time is right, this is an anachronistic church trying desperately to turn back time to preserve garbage which unfortunately has been with it all the way back to the Patristic Fathers (but NOT, it should be underlined, to Jesus, who had no interest either in your plumbing or what/who you used it in).
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                Comment


                • It's nice to know the Pope has advanced to 1998.

                  Call me when he joins us in this century.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                    It's nice to know the Pope has advanced to 1998.

                    Call me when he joins us in this century.
                    IIRC the Catholic Church apologized for persecuting the Jews in the 1400s in 1965.

                    So I'd say they're galloping.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      It's nice to know the Pope has advanced to 1998.

                      Call me when he joins us in this century.
                      Civil unions = "Separate, but equal". So really, this just moves the Church up to about 1950.

                      As Kep pointed out, if history is any indication, I expect the Third Vatican Council to address this sometime around 2150.

                      Comment


                      • BTW, it's the Feast of "Saint" JPII today. Be sure to sweep something under the rug in his honor.

                        Comment


                        • And on trans issues, Fade, I expect the 67th Vatican Council to address this sometime in 2526.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

                          Comment


                          • Heard an interesting interview on NPR with a gay priest. He believed that one of the key ideas that led to this endorsement was the idea that all people should be part of a family and have the opportunity to have children. There are a ton of conservative Catholics who will lose their poop if Catholic adoption agencies start considering gay couples.

                            Bigots are starting to lose top cover for their hatred.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Heard an interesting interview on NPR with a gay priest. He believed that one of the key ideas that led to this endorsement was the idea that all people should be part of a family and have the opportunity to have children. There are a ton of conservative Catholics who will lose their poop if Catholic adoption agencies start considering gay couples.

                              Bigots are starting to lose top cover for their hatred.
                              The real loons are the African churches, which is the only place ill-educated enough that Catholicism is still growing. And the African churches are in turn cross-pollinating with American fundy idiots. The stupidest people in the US are making common cause with the stupidest people in the rest of the world.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • Something to look forward to under ACB.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X