Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Good to see that Black Protestants are at least in the 70s. They have every right to be skittish, but I'm glad they got over it for the most part for COVID.

One thing fouling that data is poverty. I am certainly willing to bet that vaccination rates vary directly with resources, particularly education. Now, I don't think it is a surprise that say Evangelical Christianity goes hand in hand with poverty among whites: they draw from the same demographics. The authoritarian mindset of reactionary religions is going to align with personality and cognitive limitations that prevent people from achieving. But, insofar as the same effect is displayed among non-whites, at least there isn't the exacerbating factor of red hat dumbas-sery.
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-17-2021, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    People lie on political surveys, especially conservatives. It's like a game for them to try and skew the numbers or hide their true responses from what they assume are gubmint busybodies. And COVID-19 vaccination is, sadly, a political issue.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...-evangelicals/

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    55% of Evangelicals

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Roughly 90% of atheists have taken the vaccine, compared to 55% of Evangelicals.

Good.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    It now makes sense American Evangelicals would declare empathy a sin in conjunction with embracing end times theology.

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people." 2 Timothy 3:1-5

However, as noted, Patmos is home to a known hallucinogenic that's plentiful. Revelation was what John saw on one big *** acid trip.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    From Meghan Danzig:

.Hey I don't know who needs to hear this but the creators of Veggietales were given explicit instructions not to insinuate that vegetables could have a salvific relationship with Jesus Christ.

So whenever they mentioned salvation, they would look into the camera and say that YOU could have a relationship with Jesus. They never claimed it for themselves.

Which means that both Bob the tomato and Larry the cucumber are rotting in the compost heap of Hell.

I hope they're writing a silly song about that.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/...gods-judgment/

Radical right-wing pastor Shane Vaughn used his livestream broadcast Monday night to falsely declare that COVID-19 vaccines are not working because, he claimed, the United States is under God’s judgment for tolerating reproductive freedom and LGBTQ rights.

“I’m going to tell you what God told me to tell you,” Vaughn said. “They’ve got variants coming that ain’t no vaccine going to work for. This nation is under the judgment of God. And I want to tell you something right now: They’re already admitting that the vaccine is alarmingly not working. Alarmingly! They’re alarmed at what they’re seeing. Do you know why? Because America, you’re making a huge mistake.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge45R9qoW_Y

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    The most accurate statement on Joel osteen you’ll ever read

https://twitter.com/gjmcclintock/sta...114901507?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    "We are the granddaughters of the witches you couldn't burn."

Honey, your grandma was a Baptist.
    And..?

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    "We are the granddaughters of the witches you couldn't burn."

Honey, your grandma was a Baptist.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    It's hurricane season. Joel Osteen is making sure all the doors to his "church" are locked.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Atheists understand and perform far better Christianity than those people.

Matthew 23:1-4

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Of course it is. To have empathy would require too much learning and thinking on the part of the believer, and we all know that too much learning and thinking eventually leads to questions about dogma, doctrine, and eventually faith itself.
    This is what I grew up with. Poor and minorities were always "those people."

When I revealed myself to be one of "those people," the chorus of coded "**** you" wouldn't stop until I distanced myself from it.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Got a handwritten letter from the Witnesses today. I'm on their list because I tried to hook one of them up with a job at my then-employer years ago after he helped me change a blown out tire. They're a plucky bunch, I'll give them that, but definitely at or near the bottom of the list of faiths I'd remotely consider ever converting to. Given their proclivities about blood transfusions, I wonder what their stance on the COVID vaccine is. I bet I can guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X