Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It's not just conservative churches pushing that line. Being gay in Asia has always been frowned upon culturally. But churches certainly aren't helping.
    Before I came out, I was willing to travel to most anywhere, pending finances. Now I have to wonder if my destination is friendly or not.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

      I need to give it to Hope Church here in Holland. They're holding on to their "open and affirming" status, even though the Reformed Church in America is threatening to kick them out.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

        Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        I need to give it to Hope Church here in Holland. They're holding on to their "open and affirming" status, even though the Reformed Church in America is threatening to kick them out.
        Shocked but impressed. RCA is not well known for their tolerance. Suspect they will be an independent church within the year.
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

          Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
          Shocked but impressed. RCA is not well known for their tolerance. Suspect they will be an independent church within the year.
          Based on friends in that denomination, LGBT acceptance and affirmation will probably cause the RCA to split apart. Right now, I understand there's three groups: the conservatives who won't change, the centrists, and those who want to be open and affirming. It all depends on what the centrists want.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

            Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            Based on friends in that denomination, LGBT acceptance and affirmation will probably cause the RCA to split apart. Right now, I understand there's three groups: the conservatives who won't change, the centrists, and those who want to be open and affirming. It all depends on what the centrists want.
            Like the denominational splits over slavery.

            There are two kinds of people:

            Conservatives change their ideals to hold on to their rituals. Liberals change their rituals to hold on to their ideals.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

              Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Like the denominational splits over slavery.

              There are two kinds of people:

              Conservatives change their ideals to hold on to their rituals. Liberals change their rituals to hold on to their ideals.
              Well, time will tell. While not in the RCA, I have a few friends in there and they're keeping me updated.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

                The hatred is the whole point.

                May these twisted f-cks never get another nominee.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

                  The gift of gab.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

                    Growing up in the Reformed church, we frowned on tongues. And I don't think anyone in the Episcopal church knows what tongues are either.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      Growing up in the Reformed church, we frowned on tongues. And I don't think anyone in the Episcopal church knows what tongues are either.
                      At my wife's grandfather's funeral service (protestant), my mother in law started wailing in tongues for many minutes. After a few I grabbed my infant son and got out of there.

                      I may not believe in it, but I've seen it done.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                      ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

                      Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                      I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

                        Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        At my wife's grandfather's funeral service (protestant), my mother in law started wailing in tongues for many minutes. After a few I grabbed my infant son and got out of there.

                        I may not believe in it, but I've seen it done.
                        Well, there's nothing to "believe" in. It's a verifiable mental state. It's letting go of the rational portion of the self. It's easy to see how that kind of circuit breaker would be valuable in a situation of extreme grief or ecstasy to prevent real damage, a psychotic break, etc.

                        If you believe it's a phone line to God, well, there's nobody home so yeah that part is obvious bunk. But glossolalia is way, way more interesting than theology. It's a glimpse at our pre-linguistic, pre-cognitive animal hardware. It's time travel back to before we had a mind to mediate our experience and emotions. It's what we are underneath all the "meaning" we've made up, which explains why it isn't pretty.

                        Except of course this guy is just a distracted, low energy con artist checking his bank account.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 10-03-2019, 10:17 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

                          I know in some churches, tongues is a definite thing. And miraculously, someone is always there to interpret.

                          I'll stick with the liturgy at my church, thank you much.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            I know in some churches, tongues is a definite thing. And miraculously, someone is always there to interpret.

                            I'll stick with the liturgy at my church, thank you much.
                            Pentecostals, IIRC.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

                              Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Pentecostals, IIRC.
                              It's what makes them Pentecostals, IINM.

                              Religions that start in Southern California don't have a great track record.

                              Of all the various Fleecing Mechanisms of Christianity I think I like this one the best.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

                                Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                It's what makes them Pentecostals, IINM.

                                Religions that start in Southern California don't have a great track record.

                                Of all the various Fleecing Mechanisms of Christianity I think I like this one the best.
                                I like snake handling.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X