Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    You can work on doing that. I need destroy a virulent strain of Christianity that says speaking up for the poor, needy, destitute, and those who can't speak for themselves means you're a pinko commie liberal radical SJW hellbent on destroying America.
    To be fair to Christianity, which, ew, but that isn't on Christianity. That is vicious right wingers raised by abusive parents dressing their pathologies in swaddling clothes.

Conservatives aren't Christians -- the values are 180 degrees apart, and the whole point of the project is also opposite. The point of Christianity is to dissolve myself in the ocean of grace. The point of conservatism is to crush myself into a tight, hard, tiny fist of hate and fear, and spew out denunciations and bullets against anything different from My Precious, the ego.

Liberals are mostly not doctrinaire religious Christians because liberalism is Christianity in a post-Age of Reason, non-supernatural form.

Last edited by Kepler; 11-25-2021, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    You can work on doing that. I need destroy a virulent strain of Christianity that says speaking up for the poor, needy, destitute, and those who can't speak for themselves means you're a pinko commie liberal radical SJW hellbent on destroying America.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Not sure it’s even worth that. The stuff worth saving can be found in basically all other major religions anyway, so I’d rather not take any chances and just eradicate it completely.
    Oh, dump all the religious fluff. I'm saying save all the deep thinker stuff that tried to square the looney theology with an extremely deep classical humanist tradition.

The later apologia chapters of Boethius are great, when he convinces himself that bad people suffer by being bad and suffer more if they aren't punished. Yeah, mix that with the supernatural and it's as banal as the MCU, but distill just the ontology and it gets very heavy very quickly. The mental furniture of the 6th century is delicate and subtle, and they trained for it by dancing around theodicy with wigged out Scripture in one hand and Plato in the other.

I'll take that over Descartes and Darwin any day. A cathedral vs a Bauhaus sh-t hole. I know what I'd rather look at all day. And you can keep your weed in either.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-24-2021, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Just retire Christianity. Please. Take the stuff worth saving and junk the rest.
    Not sure it’s even worth that. The stuff worth saving can be found in basically all other major religions anyway, so I’d rather not take any chances and just eradicate it completely.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Pastor says it's okay to rape your wife. Pastor was subsequently sacked, though I'd prefer to see him gelded.

https://religionnews.com/2021/11/22/...Vm0GoM1cH8LIAM
    Just retire Christianity. Please. Take the stuff worth saving and junk the rest.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Pastor says it's okay to rape your wife. Pastor was subsequently sacked, though I'd prefer to see him gelded.

https://religionnews.com/2021/11/22/...Vm0GoM1cH8LIAM

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Ironically while trying to sell something called "The Great Delusion".

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Sure, Jan.

https://twitter.com/hemantmehta/stat...993329670?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Shorter Adam and Eve story.

A deity screwed up and let his magic dust guy eat a fruit because his ribwife told him a talking serpent told her that the magic deity guy lied about it killing them. So the magic deity guy punished them for ever and ever because, despite the fact that the magic guy is everywhere at once, he didn’t know about it.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-13-2021, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    I found myself at an emergency shelter that is run by Christians. But this place does things differently, things even Kepler would support:

-A space for trans residents.

-No drug testing residents upon entry.

-No surrendering your account or finances to them. They offer help with budgeting and financial literacy, but they don't demand your money.

-No mandatory church attendance.

-As long as one meets curfew, they don't care if you go out for your meals or decide to go out for coffee at 3 PM.
    -Staff are masked and residents need to have one on while moving around the building.

-You can take your own meds, not need them dispensed by staff.

-All in all, treated like an adult. Not like a child.

And yes, my experience at the Holland Rescue Mission in 2017 was the exact opposite and left me not wanting to go back there even if I needed it.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    After a handful of missionaries were kidnapped in Haiti, groups are reconsidering going there.

Then again, these people are egotistical and love "voluntourism" instead of serving people in their neighborhoods first.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Someone left a religious tract on my laptop Thursday at a coffee shop, titled "Why You Do Not Need Jesus."

Yeah, he rides besides me and never buys any smokes.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This is the best thing I have seen in the last 40 years. MENA = Middle East / North Africa.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X