Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    The Ukrainian Orthodox Synod, which is under the Moscow Patriarchate, called out Patriarch Kirill of Moscow for subservience to Putin.

This is the equivalent of a Cardinal telling the Pope to suck it.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Am I suppose to pray over leftovers?
    Me: Lord, it’s me again with this spaghetti…

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Oh. NOW they care about getting someone's pronouns right.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    The whole thing just makes them look like clowns, and yet they wonder why Church attendance in developed countries continues to dwindle every year.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    From Father Nathan Monk on FB.

I’ve had countless people reach out to me asking my opinion on the issue of the priest who incorrectly baptized thousands of people. If you aren’t aware, here is a quick recap: a Roman Catholic priest recently resigned because he said “we baptize you” instead of “I baptize you” during the sacrament. An investigation happened, and it turns out this priest has been saying it this way since his ordination. The Church has ruled the baptisms invalid.
    And my opinion is: that’s silly.

Most sacraments in the Church can only be performed by a priest or bishop. For example, only a bishop can ordain a priest. Only a priest can hear confession or consecrate the bread and wine during communion. However, under extreme circumstances, any baptized person can perform a baptism.

If you were to find yourself at the scene of an accident and someone requested to be baptized, you could do it. The rules are simple: use water and say, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.” Bam! Baptism.

The Church also accepts baptisms from other churches as valid. If you converted to Catholicism from a Protestant church, they would not require you to be baptized again. As long as the church believes in the trinity, baptizes with water, and does so in the name of the “Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,” that baptism is considered valid.

The reason for this is because the creed says, “we believe in one baptism,” meaning you can only be baptized the one time. To require someone to be baptized a second time would be considered heresy.

In my personal and professional opinion, this is an absurd response, and I can not find anything to justify it in canon law. The Roman Church choosing to allow the sacraments to take place in the vernacular post-Vatican II was bound to cause these types of variations in liturgical practice. Most especially for bilingual clergy, as was the case with this priest.

I can not personally find any justification for declaring these baptisms invalid; they may be illicit but not invalid. Illicit means whenever something is done outside the protocol or authority of the Church. That is how baptisms of Protestant churches are viewed, valid but illicit.

I think the response of the Church to this incident is legalistic and cruel. It is cruel both to the congregants, drawing into question the validity of their baptisms, weddings, etc., and it is cruel to this priest. And, as an aside, I find the swiftness with which they handled the alleged misuse of one word within the baptism ritual verses *gestures broadly at all other issues within the church as a whole* is just flat out appalling.

In conclusion: whether you got dunked or sprinkled, no matter the gender of the person who did it, or the words used, if you were baptized in the name of the trinity, you are baptized. Period, the end, and I can’t believe this has become such a scandal.

Actually, yes, I can.

Because the decision came down from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and this absurd story broke right after Joey Ratz aka Pope Emeritus Benedict the 16th was called to the carpet for how he handled another scandal within the Church. And guess where he was in leadership before being appointed pope? The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith! And guess which story we are talking about instead of that? The one about a priest saying “we” instead of “I.”

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Bwhahahahhhaha. They have no clue how moronic they sound debating crap like this. Like ****ing 7-year-olds arguing how high Superman could jump. It’s not real, so don’t try to apply rules and logic. Just don’t.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Catholicism is going through a crisis tonight, and it's going to be fun to see how the church twists itself to correct this.

A catholic priest has been found to be using the wrong pronoun during baptism over his 20+ year career.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/catholi...hoenix-church/

The interesting thing is this has exploded and now caused other priests to examine tapes of baptisms performed to which they have also done a similar pro-noun mixup.

Some priests have even found that when they were baptized as children, the priest performing the baptism used the wrong words, which nullifies the current priest's status. And every baptism the current priest performed, despite being correct, are invalid.
    Oh. NOW they care about getting someone's pronouns right.

*stares in trans*

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Catholicism is going through a crisis tonight, and it's going to be fun to see how the church twists itself to correct this.

A catholic priest has been found to be using the wrong pronoun during baptism over his 20+ year career.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/catholi...hoenix-church/

The interesting thing is this has exploded and now caused other priests to examine tapes of baptisms performed to which they have also done a similar pro-noun mixup.

Some priests have even found that when they were baptized as children, the priest performing the baptism used the wrong words, which nullifies the current priest's status. And every baptism the current priest performed, despite being correct, are invalid.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Heads up:

Proverbs 22:6 says "train up a child in the way they should go, and when they get older, they won't depart from it."

Basically, if you go to a generic church on any given Sunday and scan the audience, a good half of them are there because Mommy and Daddy said this what they should be doing. They might ID as Christian, but they're weak theists.

And it's amazing how showing empathy and humility will teach you that only an extremely small fraction of them are raging *******s, even in conservative West Michigan. For every 1 raging fundamentalist, I've found 10 genuinely decent people.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Islam still operating as if it's the 11th century. Meanwhile, parts of Xtianity are somewhere in the 19th.

I'd say that we should abolish all this superstitious BS and make everyone join the 21st. Without the fear of eternal punishment from some form of deity though, it's likely some percentage of the global population will default to behaving like undomesticated animals.
    I'm pretty sure the consensus after 10,000 years is that the amygdala portion of the population is incapable of behaving unless they think there's a Cosmic Cop. So keep god for them but don't give them the vote.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Islam still operating as if it's the 11th century. Meanwhile, parts of Xtianity are somewhere in the 19th.

I'd say that we should abolish all this superstitious BS and make everyone join the 21st. Without the fear of eternal punishment from some form of deity though, it's likely some percentage of the global population will default to behaving like undomesticated animals.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Mohammed H. Christ.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    reddit. Every once in a while, worth it.

First comment: I bet he doesn’t show up.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-10-2022, 11:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Nailed it.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Science > religion

Leave a comment:

Working...
X