Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It took a few months, but they're finally buying into Lalonde's systems and combined with great play in goal from Husso it's paying off.

Comment

• Not that I expect anyone to be able to answer this, but what happened with Netherlands hockey for three years around 1980? It being the anniversary of the Miracle on Ice a couple days ago, I was revisiting the tournament which lead me to the fact that 1980 was the only time they’ve ever qualified. And the only time they’ve ever been close.

In 1977 they’re relegated from Pool B. In 1978 they are promoted from Pool C. Then in 1979 they win Pool B which qualifies them for the Olympics. They get demolished in Lake Placid, get demolished in 1981 in Pool A and get relegated. Then in 1982 they don’t get destroyed, but lose a lot of tight games and are relegated to Pool C.

Just happenstance of getting in the right pool in 1979? It looks like due to politics China and Denmark were pulled into Pool B when they should’ve been in C, which allowed an easier path for the Netherlands to move to the championship round, but even there they still had to play two other good teams. Flash in the pan of a group of guys coming into their prime for a couple years? They did go on to dominate Pool C in 1983 and get back to Pool B, but they’ve been languishing in the middle divisions ever since.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Without looking into the reasins for it, the fact Canada wasn't even a factor feels like a huge aberration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Without looking into the reasins for it, the fact Canada wasn't even a factor feels like a huge aberration.
          For a long time, Canada refused to support an Olympic team because they felt the Soviets were a pro team. And they weren't wrong.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

For a long time, Canada refused to support an Olympic team because they felt the Soviets were a pro team. And they weren't wrong.
            As if the special training and facilities western players received didn't make them professionals too.

The last amateur American athlete was Bobby Jones. I assume the last Canuck was about the same time.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

As if the special training and facilities western players received didn't make them professionals too.

The last amateur American athlete was Bobby Jones. I assume the last Canuck was about the same time.
              Back when only amateurs were allowed? I completely disagree with this. Most American athletes had to hold down a job somewhere. The Soviets “jobs” were the military where their military “job” was to play sports.

There’s a reason why most western athletes rarely competed in more than two Olympics, if that. While eastern athletes just kept coming back.

And the best athletes which turned pro didn’t compete again, while the eastern athletes just kept coming back. Because they never needed to turn pro. They were already getting “paid” to play.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Marchand slewfoots a Seattle player during a scrum, gets two minutes for roughing, contributes to the play that leads to Boston’s GWG.

What I would do for a VAR style system in hockey…
                A follow-up,
                https://bostonhockeynow.com/2023/02/...n-bjorkstrand/

A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• The only true amateur athletes that have ever existed were when sports were dominated by Upper Class Twits of the Year. Gentlemen Athletes didn't need financing because mater and pater were footing their bills. This lives on in the Ivies' supposed prohibition of "athletic" scholarships.

"Amateur" world class athletes have always received perks, and the holier than thou attitude that the West snooted up against the Soviets was hypocritical. Of course the Soviet players were pros. So were the West's. Because at that level, you have to be. It's no shame.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The only true amateur athletes that have ever existed were when sports were dominated by Upper Class Twits of the Year. Gentlemen Athletes didn't need financing because mater and pater were footing their bills. This lives on in the Ivies' supposed prohibition of "athletic" scholarships.

"Amateur" world class athletes have always received perks, and the holier than thou attitude that the West snooted up against the Soviets was hypocritical. Of course the Soviet players were pros. So were the West's. Because at that level, you have to be. It's no shame.
                    So would you prefer to back to the Upper Class Twit era, or are you OK with the new regime as long as people complain less about the Soviets (who haven't existed now for 30 years)?
                    Last edited by French Rage; 02-24-2023, 11:04 PM.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

So would you prefer to back to the Upper Class Twit era, or are you OK with the new regime as long as people complain less about the Soviets (who haven't existed now for 30 years)?
                      I like it way more now (I want to make the Upper Class extinct and turn their estates into public parks). I just wish we'd cool it with the "yay me, boo you" nonsense.

If the horses had gods they would be horselike, we get it. The one human characteristic I would wipe out if I could is the incapacity to understand that everyone is equally full of sh-t, and that unchosen groupings are all granfaloons. Americans/Ferrners, Country Mice/City Mice -- we're nothing special; we have no innate moral standing. We're all just off brand apes who throw our sh-t a little less than the real thing.

Last edited by Kepler; 02-25-2023, 07:16 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

The only true amateur athletes that have ever existed were when sports were dominated by Upper Class Twits of the Year. Gentlemen Athletes didn't need financing because mater and pater were footing their bills. This lives on in the Ivies' supposed prohibition of "athletic" scholarships.

You are totally missing my point amongst semantic gymnastics.

in 1980 who were the best Canadian hockey players? Those in the NHL who were ineligible for the Olympics.

in 1980 who were the best Soviet hockey players? Those in the Olympics.

Same with boxing. Same with skiing. And all the other sports.

It was an uneven playing field. And that’s the point. Regardless of your diatribe.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

I like it way more now (I want to make the Upper Class extinct and turn their estates into public parks). I just wish we'd cool it with the "yay me, boo you" nonsense.

If the horses had gods they would be horselike, we get it. The one human characteristic I would wipe out if I could is the incapacity to understand that everyone is equally full of sh-t, and that unchosen groupings are all granfaloons. Americans/Ferrners, Country Mice/City Mice -- we're nothing special; we have no innate moral standing. We're all just off brand apes who throw our sh-t a little less than the real thing.
                          I don't think it's as much about "yay me, boo you" nowadays as you paint it. Sure the TV networks will lean on that a bit, because they feel the need to have storylines (which is its own issues), but your average person I'd say is just as into great performances as they are into which country the person is from. I don't think, for example, anyone in the US rooted against Usain Bolt, even though he wasn't an American runner; they still appreciated that what he was doing was impressive. Beyond a personal interest in a sport, though, people are going to default to someone from their country, just to make it somewhat interesting; and the athlete is more likely than to be from their hometown or home state, which makes them slight more relatable and so that's a little more fun; but overall those are more just to give themselves some sort of personal interest in a sporting event they don't really watch at any other time over the 4 year span, rather than trying to prove some sort of genetic superiority.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

That applies to every game but the teams you root for, right? There is no difference between homer calls for football or hockey than there is for the Olympics. So I’m not sure how you even that out.

Forgive me for assuming you don’t watch college hockey for the beauty of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

That applies to every game but the teams you root for, right? There is no difference between homer calls for football or hockey than there is for the Olympics. So I’m not sure how you even that out.

Forgive me for assuming you don’t watch college hockey for the beauty of the game.
                              Not that sort of "yay, boo."

The sort that ascribes moral characteristics to teams or groups.

Root for the USA all you want, just don't think there's any difference ethically when it comes to high level athletics. It's all a racket.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Not that sort of "yay, boo."

The sort that ascribes moral characteristics to teams or groups.

Root for the USA all you want, just don't think there's any difference ethically when it comes to high level athletics. It's all a racket.
                                Sorry, but it’s exactly the same thing. You base your rooting on some association you choose to make. Especially the pro teams where there isn’t connection other than location.

it’s all a racket or none of it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X