Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As much as it would suck for this to happen I don't blame the owners one bit. Whether or not it would be a shortsighted decision regarding growing the game remains to be seen.

Comment

• I thought this was all hammered out years in advance?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• The NBA gets lucky in that the Summer Olympics are during the off-season, but they realize the positive effect that tournament, and to a lesser extent the World Cup, have on the game. If the Dream Team doesn’t go in ‘92, the quality around the world is nowhere near where it is now. Individual players may choose to sit out to rest, but the owners aren’t stopping players from going.

MLB has a similar situation to the NHL. What did they do? Essentially started their own tournament. There is some pushback from ownership still, but the league has much more input.

Then there’s the NHL. USA-Canada in 2010 was the most watched hockey game in 30 years. Now, it was aided by the rivalry and time zone, but what does the NHL do after that? Immediately start complaining about having to send athletes away for the next one. Then don’t even send the athletes in 2018.

They tried creating their own tournament, but it was so hastily put together they had two teams that weren’t countries. Then they couldn’t even get a second edition because of CBA talks.

I understand ownership’s complaints, but it just feels like a lost opportunity, and rather than trying to remedy it with a World Cup, it’s mired in negotiation issues. Most likely thought they wouldn’t think of missing out on China, but with the pandemic combined with China’s lack of talent (and that it’s not really a Chinese team), maybe they feel that the marketing power isn’t there anymore.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Then there’s the NHL. USA-Canada in 2010 was the most watched hockey game in 30 years. Now, it was aided by the rivalry and time zone, but what does the NHL do after that? Immediately start complaining about having to send athletes away for the next one. Then don’t even send the athletes in 2018.
          Who, in the main structure of the NHL, made money on that game? That's why they complained. NBC made a mint, but none of the teams saw any of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Who, in the main structure of the NHL, made money on that game? That's why they complained. NBC made a mint, but none of the teams saw any of that.
            Isn't the main selling point behind sending players to the Olympics is to grow the game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Isn't the main selling point behind sending players to the Olympics is to grow the game?
              sure it is, but IIRC, in 2010, NBC wasn't exactly paying the NHL all that much. So if the game expanded, the owners would see little of that.

The real problem is the owners- they can't figure out how to show the game and make money- even now, it's supposed to be on ESPN and TNT, but I have no idea when it's on either channel. Especially TNT. ESPN has games on the + network all the time, but I'm not willing to put money in that. Especially when you see so many NBA games on the main channel- how is it that the owners are so bad at negotiating the TV?

I don't think the owners have figured out how to profit from the Olympics. They have seen how to suffer- with some injuries happening.

Comment

• ****ing Bertuzzi says he still won't get the jab even after he had COVID. Nevermind his personal health choices, it's just incredibly selfish and disrespects the rest of the team and the coaching staff with him in and out of the lineup. Canada won't let him in to play games up there. Now he's been out because he got the damn virus.

He's a Top 6 talent on this squad. So let's say the Wings sneak into the playoffs this season or next season, and they draw Toronto in the first round. Canada still won't allow the unvaccinated over the border to play. So he's just gonna sit out all the games in Canada and potentially **** the team over because of his personal little anti-vaxx crusade?

Cut his ass.

Comment

• If Yzerman thinks that the virus will continue to be an issue next season, then something will be done. For now, the Wings are not a playoff team even with him in the lineup so having him out keeps the Wings in this fabled 'number one draft pick' chance.

But yes, next season get rid of him.
                  Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Starting to look like NHL won't be sending players to China. The wave of positives and cancellations caused by Omicron appear to have changed a lot of people's minds on that idea.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• The Wings are shut down until after Christmas losing a game against Colorado (already ppd because of the Avs shutdown) and a game Thursday at Minnesota.

Edit 1: As for the Olympics I don't see how the NHL goes there. All these games being ppd will be played during the 3 week break, and unlike college, I don't think the NHL owners will go for having their best players head to an international tournament. Of Course Bettman said 'it is in the players' hands', but that's just him working for the next bargaining agreement.

Edit 2: Also I like the Fabbri contract. Three years and 12M, for a very solid young player.
                      Last edited by Bronco; 12-19-2021, 05:17 PM.
                      Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• With 9 players in Covid protocol the Bruins are also off until after xmas. It's thought their problems started after they played Calgary.
                        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
                          The Wings are shut down until after Christmas losing a game against Colorado (already ppd because of the Avs shutdown) and a game Thursday at Minnesota.

Edit 1: As for the Olympics I don't see how the NHL goes there. All these games being ppd will be played during the 3 week break, and unlike college, I don't think the NHL owners will go for having their best players head to an international tournament. Of Course Bettman said 'it is in the players' hands', but that's just him working for the next bargaining agreement.
                          It’s my understanding that a lot of arenas booked other events during those three weeks. So how many makeup games can they really fit in?
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

It’s my understanding that a lot of arenas booked other events during those three weeks. So how many makeup games can they really fit in?
                            Now the NHL has cancelled all games between US and Canadian teams (until after Christmas break) that require a border crossing. So who knows. I would expect the league to make every effort to get all the games played. The Olympic break gives them a chance to get some made up. I remember reading that if all games weren't played then winning percentage will be the tiebreaker.
                            Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• They should have setup the same way they did last year. Everyone gets arrogant with this pandemic and every time they get arrogant they get burned.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• According to CBC: The National Hockey League and National Hockey League Players' Association have reached an agreement to not send its players to participate in the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics in February
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X