This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I thought it was one of those cities like Honolulu where the land rises fast as you move from the beach and most of the city is safe.

I guess they can all move inland to Fairbanks when it was Virginia's climate.
    Anchorage has more of a bowl shape. It’s also ****ing huge so probably not all of it will be underwater.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Similar to Florida, I don't think Texas can support two NHL teams without lots of league welfare. All of the transplants from cold states that continue to pour into Texas every year does help a bit, but obviously they tend to continue to support the teams they grew up with and only show up for games involving their team. Football is king in Texas and you're never going to change that, even if you build a perennial winner there.

If you're looking for a city with a pro sports market that has not yet been fully tapped, a reasonable interest level in hockey (WHL Winterhawks have a good history there), and a built-in rival (Seattle), then I think Portland is it. The problem is that the only suitable arena that I'm aware of is the Trail Blazers' venue, Moda Center, which is owned and operated by the same company that owns the Trail Blazers (all part of Paul Allen's estate/trust). So even if you could work out a tenancy agreement, the Blazers are likely going to insist on having top billing and first rights for scheduling.

If the glaciers keep melting at their current pace, Anchorage will be underwater by 2100.
      So Kansas City it is then?
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Houston has an owner, Fertitta who owns the Rockets, and an available arena. Plus it’s a huge market, has hockey history with the Aeros and is in the Central area so no division shuffling is needed.
        Last edited by Jimjamesak; 08-20-2021, 11:08 AM.
        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Houston has an owner, Fertitta who owns the Rockets, and an available arena. Plus it’s a huge market, has hockey history with the Aeros and is in the Central area so division shuffling is needed.
          No shuffling needed. Yotes are already in the central this year.

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
            No shuffling needed. Yotes are already in the central this year.

I knew that and that’s what I meant, I just suck at actually typing.

No division shuffle is a huge factor in this. Vegas doesn’t want to be in the Central and Detroit nor Columbus definitely don’t want to be in the West.
            Last edited by Jimjamesak; 08-20-2021, 11:11 AM.
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I knew that and that’s what I meant, I just suck at actually typing.

No division shuffle is a huge factor in this. Vegas doesn’t want to be in the Central and Detroit nor Columbus definitely don’t want to be in the West.
              After I posted, my brain went "well, maybe that's what he meant." Agreed the Wings and BJs aren't going west again. It's gonna be interesting to hear who might be interested (or already agreed) to take the Yotes.

There was rumblings when True North was making a play for a franchise, but I haven't heard the same lately. Maybe the Seattle expansion drowned out that noise.

What other ownership groups / locations have made a push for a franchise?
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Houston is the fourth largest city in the US. (Then again, Phoenix is fifth and the 'yotes couldn't make a go of it there. Gulp.)

The easiest path is 'yotes to 'youston. That's my guess.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Although "Greater Phoenix" is a myth, like Afghanistan. It's not a cohesive entity, it's made up by cartographers. It's a bunch of small cities that happen to be nearer each other than other small cities.

People in Tempe aren't going to Glendale for hockey. People in Mesa aren't going to Glendale for anything.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Although "Greater Phoenix" is a myth, like Afghanistan. It's not a cohesive entity, it's made up by cartographers. It's a bunch of small cities that happen to be nearer each other than other small cities.

People in Tempe aren't going to Glendale for hockey. People in Mesa aren't going to Glendale for anything.
                    Is there still the plan to build an arena in Tempe? I know I saw that bandied about in discussions.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Is there still the plan to build an arena in Tempe? I know I saw that bandied about in discussions.
                      The ASU building? Far as I know, but that was never intended to be even remotely NHL capacity.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The ASU building? Far as I know, but that was never intended to be even remotely NHL capacity.
                        No, I thought the Coyotes had plans to build in Tempe?
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Oh, I had not heard that (or didn't remember) but the city council is lax about running their plans by me.

The pic for that article is a hlarious example of what I mean that Phoenix as this monster city is a myth.

This is part of what is considered Greater Phoenix:

And that is also what half of Mesa and Glendale and all of Peoria look like.

Last edited by Kepler; 08-20-2021, 01:27 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

The Arizona Coyotes hockey team plans to move to Tempe | Arizona PBS (azpbs.org)
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Although "Greater Phoenix" is a myth, like Afghanistan. It's not a cohesive entity, it's made up by cartographers. It's a bunch of small cities that happen to be nearer each other than other small cities.

And I only go to Gold Canyon to mooch off a relative's house (with pool with swim up bar and infinity edge) on the golf course.
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Crap.

< tears up bet stub that says "Houston" >
                                < throws pieces in air >

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X