X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL 2021: I Pledge Allegiance to Gritty

It's what I could do.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So I noticed that the NHL has made the first step to European style outfits- with ads on the helmets.

Comment

Toronto and Edmonton still can't play defense and it looks like Chicago will join Detroit in vying for the Central cellar-dweller title this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
          So I noticed that the NHL has made the first step to European style outfits- with ads on the helmets.
          It's been a slow process. First (and admittedly, perhaps not the first) it was the dasher boards getting ads. Then arenas started getting sponsored and advertisements started making their way onto the ice. Now the advertisements are going to helmets. It will only be a matter of time before we get jerseys with ads in the NHL.

Although on the plus side, it may make it easier to determine whether jerseys/helmets are actually game worn.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

It's been a slow process. First (and admittedly, perhaps not the first) it was the dasher boards getting ads. Then arenas started getting sponsored and advertisements started making their way onto the ice. Now the advertisements are going to helmets. It will only be a matter of time before we get jerseys with ads in the NHL.

Although on the plus side, it may make it easier to determine whether jerseys/helmets are actually game worn.
            AHL will get the Euro treatment before the NHL, and even the AHL hasn't gone beyond helmet sponsors and small jersey sponsors patches.

ECHL has even toned down their jersey sponsorships. I remember seeing jerseys in the early 2000's with large butt ads (4" x 12" or so ads along the tail hem). And now I dont see any ECHL teams with that. (Reebok Edge jerseys with the curved hemline may have forced that change.)

Although, the ECHL did find a way to get league wide sponsorship for the goal nets, including having them painted the sponsors color instead of the traditional red, so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yes, having the sponsorship patches makes it *way* easier to know if its game worn or just an authentic lettered.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Toronto and Edmonton still can't play defense and it looks like Chicago will join Detroit in vying for the Central cellar-dweller title this year.
              I told you we'd be drinking black decaf this year.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Not sure if it is still true, since the league left my area a while ago, but I recall the ECHL having Geico as a major sponsor of the league and along with that came powder-blue colored goal posts with “Geico” painted on them in white. That was awful.

Cheers!!!
                ~TTF
                Dave
                RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post

Not sure if it is still true, since the league left my area a while ago, but I recall the ECHL having Geico as a major sponsor of the league and along with that came powder-blue colored goal posts with “Geico” painted on them in white. That was awful.

Cheers!!!
                  ~TTF
                  They still do.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the team-colored stanchions. I've found they tend to blend in well with the crowd (or empty seats) and you don't notice them as much as the traditional silver ones. When I did some work for a college hockey team, I tried to get them to paint theirs to no avail. I especially like Tampa's blue, which leads me to an idea I should copyright: LED stanchions. Change colors for things like the Frozen Four, or team white-outs, or be tiny celebratory things, or god-forbid show advertising on them. Maybe tiny little video screens showing the replays and you'd have a couple players gathered at a couple stanchions just staring at the little screens to see a replay.

Comment

The less advertisement-bearing surface the better. A barn is already a commercial killing floor. Don't make it any worse.

I do agree that stanchions should be painted the team colors, though. As with seats, if you do it right it makes a big difference to atmsophere.

Do that and get rid of piped-in music and cheers. And, of course, remove all advertising and branding (this should be universal in all spaces).
                      Last edited by Kepler; 01-14-2021, 01:25 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                        I'm a huge fan of the team-colored stanchions. I've found they tend to blend in well with the crowd (or empty seats) and you don't notice them as much as the traditional silver ones. When I did some work for a college hockey team, I tried to get them to paint theirs to no avail. I especially like Tampa's blue, which leads me to an idea I should copyright: LED stanchions. Change colors for things like the Frozen Four, or team white-outs, or be tiny celebratory things, or god-forbid show advertising on them. Maybe tiny little video screens showing the replays and you'd have a couple players gathered at a couple stanchions just staring at the little screens to see a replay.
                        They already have that:
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Other than a few of them, who are these guys with the winged wheel???

Comment

Isles already have goals from Nelson, Lee, Barzal.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Isles already have goals from Nelson, Lee, Barzal.
                              Keep piling it on. Can't beat the Rangers by enough...
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X