Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would not expect it to change much for each game- the number of hockey announcers out there is reasonably finite. Buchegross is the only hockey guy at ESPN anymore.

It will chance Sport Center a lot, though. NHL will get more coverage which is good, but also more Barry Melrose, well... sometimes he's ok.

Comment

• I think I’m excited for nostalgic reasons than anything else. If the NHL can get ESPN to have their talking heads discuss the league more that would help a lot.

I’m probably completely wrong about this but it seems like the NHL never really got their mojo back after they had the year long lockout.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        NHL officially going back to ESPN next year!!! As a Wings fan this makes me irrationally happy. There was always something missing with the NHL on the various NBC channels.
        The Blessed Theme Returns!

NBC hasn't been much better than ESPN to be honest. I mean Barry Melrose sucks but so does Pierre McGuire, so did Milbury and Roenick. Though it sounds like NBC will be sticking around anyway
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• The deal is only for a partial package, so NBC or Fox will also be broadcasting.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• ESPN is just not hockey friendly, and I don't see this changing much. Their talking heads will still be unwatchable.
            Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
              ESPN is just not hockey friendly, and I don't see this changing much. Their talking heads will still be unwatchable.
              I kind of disagree- the NBA coverage for their talking heads is all because Disney invested a mint into their NBA coverage- which has had a lot of predictable effects on the salaries of the players, which is kind of funny. That raise everyone got is very much based on ESPN/ABC's TV coverage to be worth it enough to do it again- and if it's not, then a massive pool of money goes away.

That being said, the SC coverage of the NBA is all about getting ratings for their live coverage of games. So that their own investment pays off.

So, assuming that ESPN paid the NHL to show games, instead of the other way around, it's in their best interest to cover it on SC so that they get some people watching games. Will that make the talking heads watchable? No, of course not. But it will at least take some of the NBA coverage off their shows, and insert some NHL coverage- which has been lacking since the NBA TV deal.

Comment

• https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...mpression=true

Details of the agreement:
                100 regular season games a year
                25 of these will be on ESPN/ABC
                75 will be on ESPN+
                Half the playoffs each season
                Stanley Cup Finals in 4/7 years
                NHL.TV will be included in ESPN+

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...mpression=true

75 will be on ESPN+
                  I’m really confused why they would only show 25 regular season games. Maybe the 75 games on ESPN+ are going to be shown on ESPN2 as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I’m really confused why they would only show 25 regular season games. Maybe the 75 games on ESPN+ are going to be shown on ESPN2 as well?
                    The top four of the ESPN family pull in $9 bucks a month. That includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and SECN.

ESPN+ is $6 a month, or $5 if you pay for a year.

Makes sense to me.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...mpression=true

75 will be on ESPN+
                      I really wonder how popular the streaming services are actually getting. If they are not, and NBC can't come to a good agreement- 25 games a year on TV will kill the NHL. By the time the contract would end, nobody would remember the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I really wonder how popular the streaming services are actually getting. If they are not, and NBC can't come to a good agreement- 25 games a year on TV will kill the NHL. By the time the contract would end, nobody would remember the game.
                        Since it’s a partial deal, I’m guessing ESPN will do a signature weekend game and then Fox or NBC would have a weeknight national slot or vice versa.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

??

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Popular enough that ESPN and the NHL are willing to partner on it.

This is actually a pretty good deal. ESPN+ is already worth its cost and this just increases the value plus the likely weekly games on TV. The NHL gets a second network involved and more coverage plus access to games is now easier for fans.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• BTW, it sounds very similar to the MLS/ESPN deal. Guaranteed number of games on TV, half of the playoffs and finals, and out of market streams on ESPN+.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Popular enough that ESPN and the NHL are willing to partner on it.

This is actually a pretty good deal. ESPN+ is already worth its cost and this just increases the value plus the likely weekly games on TV. The NHL gets a second network involved and more coverage plus access to games is now easier for fans.
                                ESPN+ irritates me where I’m already paying a lot through my cable bill and the content used to be free. I signed up for NHL center ice this season and probably will next year as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X