NHL 2021: I Pledge Allegiance to Gritty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Houston has been banded about for years and has an arena so it’s the logical landing point though KC has an arena as well. The NHL was apparently in discussions with Salt Lake City about “expansion” months ago too, though I have no idea where they’d play. The E Center or whatever it’s called now is too small and too far away while the Jazz arena won’t fit a rink and doesn’t have an ice plant AFAIK.
    The Jazz owner has met with Bettman...

The problem with Houston is the arena is owned by the NBA owner. Thus, the hockey team would be merely tenants, and not be able to reap the full benefits of the arena. Unless said NBA owner buys the hockey team...
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 05-17-2023, 07:54 AM.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Maybe the era of corporate entertainment bullsh-t is finally over?
      The interesting thing is, $1.9 billion of this $2.1 billion project was going to be privately funded.

It failed due to politics, most likely because of what was already posted -- labor unions.
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

The interesting thing is, $1.9 billion of this $2.1 billion project was going to be privately funded.

It failed due to politics, most likely because of what was already posted -- labor unions.
        From what I’ve read, that 200 million is basically going to need to be spent on clean-up no matter what ends up going there, be it a park, arena, world’s largest carousel, etc. So the Coyotes were asking for a non-team specific fixed cost to be covered, which seems reasonable given the context. Sounds like all they had to do was give it a little tap-tap-tapperoo and bungled it badly.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• The owner is a developer and the project money was going to his company. It was a pure grift.

Go to Quebec City, cowards.

Move all the southern teams to Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Oshawa, Windsor, and St. Catharines. Stick a team in Brantford and call it the Gretzkys. Make Toronto into the EPL with Golden Crescent derbies every other day.

Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2023, 08:39 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

From what I’ve read, that 200 million is basically going to need to be spent on clean-up no matter what ends up going there, be it a park, arena, world’s largest carousel, etc. So the Coyotes were asking for a non-team specific fixed cost to be covered, which seems reasonable given the context. Sounds like all they had to do was give it a little tap-tap-tapperoo and bungled it badly.
            Yeah the dump is already leeching into the water table I believe.

the signs were nasty- saying the owners were raping Tempe. I don’t feel bad for these owners at all mind you, but that dump needs to get cleaned up anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The owner is a developer and the project money was going to his company. It was a pure grift.
              This.

That’s why the labor unions were vehemently against the deal, the owner was undoubtedly going to bring in cheap labor from his construction company and not use local workers.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The problem with Houston is the arena is owned by the NBA owner. Thus, the hockey team would be merely tenants, and not be able to reap the full benefits of the arena. Unless said NBA owner buys the hockey team...
                Which, isn't that why the Aeros were moved to Des Moines by the Wild?
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Which, isn't that why the Aeros were moved to Des Moines by the Wild?
                  Well, that and having the AHL team a 3-hour drive away makes callups a lot easier. Will say it's also turned Iowa into a solid Wild fan base on the hockey side of things whereas before it was split between them, Chicago, and the Blues.

Comment

This.

That’s why the labor unions were vehemently against the deal, the owner was undoubtedly going to bring in cheap labor from his construction company and not use local workers.
                    Not gonna lie, it’s nice to see a place give a finger to a greedy owner. Sucks for their fans though

Comment

AFAIK Houston is only happening if the Rockets owner is involved and Fertitta has shown interest in buying a team before.

I don’t see how the Jazz owner can renovate the Delta Center as a suitable hockey arena. Because this isn’t gonna work.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

AFAIK Houston is only happening if the Rockets owner is involved and Fertitta has shown interest in buying a team before.

I don’t see how the Jazz owner can renovate the Delta Center as a suitable hockey arena. Because this isn’t gonna work.
                        No? Spurs had a similar seating setup with the AHL Rampage.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I'm doing my best to not respond snarkily, but when you're using an AHL arrangement to justify use by an NHL team, it's tough.

No NHL team is foregoing 1/4th of the lower bowl and the $200-1000/ticket + personal seat license fees that go along with that.

Edit: didn't realize the endzone closest to the camera had the same issue, and that the side behind the benches also was missing rows. So it's more like 3/4ths of rink side seats and probably 1/2th the entire lower bowl.

No, there is no way that's acceptable at the NHL level.
                          Last edited by unofan; 05-17-2023, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I think the Rampage were owned by the Spurs. The Spurs company was also the property manager for the arena.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Edit: didn't realize the endzone closest to the camera had the same issue, and that the side behind the benches also was missing rows. So it's more like 3/4ths of rink side seats and probably 1/2th the entire lower bowl.

No, there is no way that's acceptable at the NHL level.
                              Didn't the Islanders have one end missing as well during their Brooklyn experiment? I seem to remember a car taking up some prime seating as well.

No worries about the snark. (I even await the rustling of Keps feathers when someone calls the Islanders AHL.) The Yotes were playing in a 5k college rink so anything is more acceptable.

Yes, there would be concerns, but Winnipeg seemed to hush "small arena" concerns when they presold three years of season tickets and then committed to upgrading / expanding seating a few years after they got the Thrashers.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I think the Rampage were owned by the Spurs. The Spurs company was also the property manager for the arena.
                              Yes, I'm pretty sure that was the arrangement.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Didn't the Islanders have one end missing as well during their Brooklyn experiment? I seem to remember a car taking up some prime seating as well.
                                Yes. A lot of sightlines for hockey were horrible in that place. Barclay's Center was not built for hockey.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X