Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of their own Newspapers are taking them to task.

Opinion: Chuck Grassley and his GOP colleagues can come up with any excuses they want, but their words in 2016 were unambiguous: no Supreme Court hearings, writes the Register's editorial board. (Joni Ernst, you're not off the hook either.)
    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...al/5855651002/
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Ernst is banking on the Jesus Freaks in Iowa now maxing out on votes. The rest of her record has done nothing but hurt her numbers if the polling is correct. (from what I can tell from afar uno would know better)

Even Nate Silver was talking about how he is close to now saying the Senate as a whole is a "Lean Dem" (in tweets yesterday) and he is going out of his way to hedge. Deluxe model has it 60/40 Dems take it and the Classic has it at Dems 2-1.

I get why Gardner and McSally are all in...they are DOA. I guess if Mitt is giving cover to Collins that sort of makes sense but honestly I am not sure her numbers can be saved anyways. If you are Tillis, Ernst, Graham this is a heckuva gamble.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Coming from the Woke-meisters here in the Lounge, references to "Lady G" couldn't be more ironic.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Looks like we got a visit from an Alpha. Lucky us.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Pregnant women didn’t qualify for extra covid money. In that instance the fetus didn’t count to repubs
            A pregnant woman only gets one share because the fetus gets the money -- it could be a male. The incubator doesn't; it can always be replaced with a newer model.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Let me ask you this about court packing. Yeah, it mollifies, temporarily, a current frustration. But as an actual practice how effective will it really be, and how good of an idea is it?

Say the Dems add four court seats and get Biden to appoint four liberals.

Don't the Republicans just do the exact same thing the next time they hold the White House and Senate?

And then the Dems do it, again, after that. At some point we end up with 157 Supreme Court members. Is that really the plan?
              I don’t think that’s really the plan, but, you know, I’m not in the know. No doubt Schumer is ****ed about McConnell’s hypocrisy, but Democrats abolished the filibuster on judicial nominees first, paving the way for the GOP to abolish SC filibustering of nominees, with McConnell being able to effectively point at Democrats for his reason to do so. If Democrats packed the courts now, no doubt the GOP would retaliate in 2024 or 2028. The Court’s legitimacy may well turn to crap. I don’t know that for sure.
              Now, all that said, I’m okay with getting rid of the filibuster altogether. I’m also okay with living under “majority rule”- to what extent that would look in our American system of government, even with the filibuster gone. The filibuster isn’t some moral fiber of American being; it’s barely a century old. I think Democrats would do the country a much better solid by skipping the court packing and ramming through a few liberal pieces of legislation between 2020 and 2022, when they stand a decent chance of losing the Senate again. Maybe once enough people in enough of the right places see the “shiny sh-t” Democrats in government gave them, it could stick with them in 2022 and beyond. And, once Trump/McConnell are gone, maybe the GOP reinvents itself to avoid permanently losing the “suburban woman voter” and other key demographics, leading to two democratic parties, instead of one democratic party and one fascist party. Or, maybe not.
              * I wrote the one sentence like Democrats already hold the Senate. I guess I strongly hope they retake it in 2020 so they even have a chance to lose it in 2022. If they don’t retake the Senate and Biden wins the White House, I expect things to look like the last few years of the Obama administration.

Comment

• Ramming through liberal legislation doesn’t do s- when it gets overturned by the court.

Ram through liberal legislation AND pack the court to make sure it sticks.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  Ramming through liberal legislation doesn’t do s- when it gets overturned by the court.

Ram through liberal legislation AND pack the court to make sure it sticks.
                  Correct.

Dump only had so many appointments to make in Fed courts because McConnell stopped any Obama nominee from coming to a vote. It was a blatant abuse of power, so now they reap what they sow.

Double the size of all the federal courts and appoint the farthest left judges we can. Spike all the anti-democratic and Plute legislation of the last 40 years. Open the country up and realign voting and wealth with the real people of the country -- people who are diverse and live in cities and aren't hidebound by iron age misogynistic horse hockey.

Drag the government to where the people already are. If there is a swing back, so be it -- I am betting that a country that becomes truly democratic will not fall back into the hands of the Taliban. That 30% can keep pleasuring itself with its guns and gods until it curls up and dies demographically. It no longer bears listening to, only containing.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I think there are other ways of consolidating Democrats’ power without packing the Supreme Court, or any court. We’ll just agree to disagree. At this point, I don’t know what else could happen to make this year and this election any f-cking crazier.

Comment

• I thought I read in 2 years the map is favorable to the Dems to hold the Senate. I could be way off though I am reading way too much about this stuff lately.

Speaking of which...Conservative Twitter is now saying that if the Dems add PR and DC their plan will be to add American Samoa and then split Florida and Texas. I wholeheartedly endorse this plan!
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I thought I read in 2 years the map is favorable to the Dems to hold the Senate. I could be way off though I am reading way too much about this stuff lately.

Speaking of which...Conservative Twitter is now saying that if the Dems add PR and DC their plan will be to add American Samoa and then split Florida and Texas. I wholeheartedly endorse this plan!
                        So the State of Miami and the State of Dallas and Austin?
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• The Dems aren't competent enough to make DC and PR states. They will get tied up in court and lose power.

Comment

• Originally posted by sagard View Post
                            The Dems aren't competent enough to make DC and PR states. They will get tied up in court and lose power.
                            How would it get tied up in court?
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              So the State of Miami and the State of Dallas and Austin?
                              That is how i kind of figured it would work...
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

How would it get tied up in court?
                                I was wondering the same thing.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X