Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Wasn't this name the "frontrunner" for Rapey McBeerface's seat? I know I remember seeing this name on the pundits lists for one of Trump's choices.
    Yep. IIRC, it was suggested to pull his nomination and nominate her, but I believe his response was "I'm saving her for Ginsburg"
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• We have to vote because the Senate represents the will of the people, says woman who the people already said no to: https://***********/SenMcSallyAZ/sta...23253845032960

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• https://***********/ConservaTex/stat...27187603152902

Yep. The woman dies and that ****er doesn't wait 1 ****ing second. And Kentucy is going to sweep his *** back into office.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          We have to vote because the Senate represents the will of the people, says woman who the people already said no to: https://***********/SenMcSallyAZ/sta...23253845032960
          She is such an insufferable c u n t

Comment

• https://mobile.***********/atrupar/s...31790990151688

Comment

• Stack the court. **** everything.

If nothing is sacred, hold nothing sacred.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• We tried "they go low, we go high."

Time for "send us to the hospital, we send you to the morgue."
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• McSally knows she wont get to vote on the successor after January because she is done. She has zero to lose.

This is playing out great...the usual suspects are hemming and hawing and the crackpots are gonna force the issue since we know Trump is going to make them. All we need now is for Donald to put Cruz or Cotton forward and the GOP will be signing their own death certificate.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This is playing out great...the usual suspects are hemming and hawing and the crackpots are gonna force the issue since we know Trump is going to make them. All we need now is for Donald to put Cruz or Cotton forward and the GOP will be signing their own death certificate.
                    Or he can nominate Amy Coney Barrett, currently sitting on the Seventh Circuit's Court of Appeals, who was an early Trump nominee to that post. Married, seven (7) children, including two adopted children from Haiti, and one special needs child.

If the Dems try to gin up the outrage machine at her expense (a la Kavanaugh), they risk losing whatever traction they currently think they may have with suburban soccer moms.

No way he picks Cruz or Cotton. Too political, just a friendly ego boost for their folks back home.

You think the Dems now regret RBG not following Obama's advice to retire in his second term so they could keep that seat relatively safe? Serious question ...
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

McSally knows she wont get to vote on the successor after January because she is done. She has zero to lose.

They will find some batsh-t crazy fundy black woman under 50. We'll have our first QAnon SCOTUS justice.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• https://mobile.***********/atrupar/s...68394169516032

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

They will find some batsh-t crazy fundy black woman under 50. We'll have our first QAnon SCOTUS justice.
                          Dr. Stella Immanuel?
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            I cant imagine that will be used in any campaign ads between now and November...
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I love it...the FauxQ crowd is flooding Twitter with calls to push through the nom and lying about the McConnell Rule. Force the issue baby!
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• First off: horrible, horrible news. I was sick to my stomach last night when I heard the news. RBG was a great justice, and wrote some tremendous opinions. This country will miss her tremendously.

Second: In principle, I would agree that Trump should nominate a replacement, and the Senate should go through the process of holding hearings and voting to confirm/deny. This is what the Constitution specifies. However, the Republicans have no principles and do not care what the Constitution says. This has been shown repeatedly, and, specifically as to this topic, was on full display in 2016 after Garland was nominated. Of course, we all knew then that the Republicans were full of ****. That being said, should we stand on our principles (i.e. regardless of what happened previously, the Constitutionally correct position would be to go through the nomination/confirmation process) or push the Republican argument re Garland (i.e. no appointments/confirmations during election season)?

Third: To the extent that Trump nominates a replacement (almost 100% certainty), and the Senate takes up the confirmation process (also an almost 100% certainty), I think it makes sense to fight like hell to delay the confirmation process until Election Day (or once the results from Election Day are known, which may take a few weeks/months). Perhaps there are also enough Republican Senators to assist with ensuring that the confirmation process does not end until after the results from the election are known. Then, there are four scenarios: (a) Biden wins, and the Democrats take over the Senate (and keep the House); (b) Biden wins, but the Republicans keep the Senate; (c) Trump wins and the Republicans keep the Senate; and (d) Trump wins and the Democrats take over the Senate.

My initial thoughts on how to play this out under these scenarios:

Under scenario (a): Play the principled stance (i.e. take up the nomination and confirm if appropriate during the lame duck session). Then, in the afternoon of January 20, 2021, kill the filibuster and pass legislation increasing the size of the Supreme Court to 15 justices, and have Biden nominate 6 additional justices. (Also, give statehood to DC/PR/others, presuming they want it. I would just caution that PR may not be the solid blue state that a lot of people think it is, although I do believe it would lean that way.) Democrats get the best of both worlds: high ground as to taking a principled and Constitutionally correct stance, and a Supreme Court that reflects the actual populace.

Under scenario (b): Attempt to delay until after January 20, 2021. This will likely be unsuccessful, but hopefully playing Republican hypocrisy over the airwaves for 2 years (to the 60% of the country that would listen and hopefully be motivated to vote) until the 2022 midterms might help reclaim the Senate, particularly in what looks like a good map favoring Democrats. Presuming the Democrats take over the Senate in 2022, see legislation discussed above under scenario (a).

Under scenario (c): This is, obviously, the most concerning scenario. Realistically, the democracy as we know it would end, and I can only imagine how deeply Trump would destroy the country and tilt the playing field to the right. However, and assuming there is at least the potential to save the country, I believe playing the principled stance would probably make the most sense. It won't matter delaying, and at least Democrats would have a principled argument to make over the following 2 years with a look at taking over the Senate in 2022. Then hopefully Democrats would regain the trifecta in 2024 and could follow the legislative path discussed above under scenario (a).

Under scenario (d): This is highly unlikely to play out this way, but I think the principled stance makes the most sense. Going 4 years without a Ninth Justice would be a politically difficult posture to take. Similar to scenario (c), the goal here would be to retake the the trifecta in 2024. Then follow the legislative path discussed above under scenario (a).

Fourth: I think a cutesy play for the Republicans would be to nominate Garland. They could "rectify" their error from 2016, while reaping the benefits of keeping the Court conservative from 2016-2020, and then replacing RBG with a moderate Garland. Democrats would also be put in a bit of a bind on pushing for any delay. Of course, Trump would never nominate him, and if he did his base would go ballistic (perhaps both literally and figuratively), but it would provide the Republicans in the Senate some cover for the 2016 travesty.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X