Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    So, that means Congress still can't get them right?
    Not yet. My read on it is that they will eventually, but probably not before November because the litigation will get dragged out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      So, that means Congress still can't get them right? And if Barr shuts down the State prosecution Trump skates on the whole thing.
      Barr has no power over State Attorneys General. He can't shut down ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        My quick, quick, quick read:
        Everyone in the country has to comply with legitimate Congressional subpoenas, but there's really no record to determine whether the interests of the congress were properly balanced with the executive's. So remand to get a better record.
        And then he added some 4-part test I'm reading? And that has to be complied with prior to remand? That seems to be the mechanism to run out the clock before the election.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• tl;dr:

7-2 - court says presidents are not immune from state or congressional investigations and subpoenas. But they can object to and raise defenses during such investigations. So lower courts and state courts, have these back.

Edit: And to be fair to Alito and Thomas, it was 9-0 in stating that Presidents are not kings and are not absolutely immune from any and all investigations. Thomas and Alito just would find that these specific cases are, to borrow a phrase, Presidential Harassment.
          Last edited by unofan; 07-09-2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Barr has no power over State Attorneys General. He can't shut down ****.
            Aaah, good point. Go NEW YORK Go.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
              More interesting to me was SCOTUS calling out Congress, and the US Government in general, in their ruling over the Oklahoma case. They basically defended the Native American tribe and told Congress that of they don't want to uphold their promise of a reservation in perpetuity to the tribe, to sh** or get off the pot. Instead of Congress dancing around by changing the reservation size and powers the tribe has, make it clear what they want.
              I've been talking to a USG lawyer about this and he says the contracts doctrine of conservatives makes interesting exceptions and tweaks for non-US parties, and that tribes are so considered, at least prior to 14A, but Gorsuch came along in Sharp and said "f-ck that." He recused in Sharp which was then 4-4 so they brought it back with McGirt and he dropped the hammer. My friend thinks this is a BFD because prior to this the rule of thumb was the injuns always lose because if they win seriously bad stuff starts happening to rich people, but Gorsuch has put his fellow cons on notice that he really does not care, a contract's a contract.

Basically all the other rulings which clearly f-cked over the feathers when the USG decided to unilaterally abrogate treaties for "legal" rationales which amounted to force majeur are now in jeopardy.

Huh. Who woulda thunk it? Bet the Federalist Society is having a freak out.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• So it looks like SCOTUS is sick of his **** mow too....
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• I understand the rulings on the tax returns. Yes I'd like to see Chump's tax returns released immediately and then him hauled out of the WH in leg irons. However the ruling seems to be fair even if it does delay viewing the info until after the election.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    I understand the rulings on the tax returns. Yes I'd like to see Chump's tax returns released immediately and then him hauled out of the WH in leg irons. However the ruling seems to be fair even if it does delay viewing the info until after the election.
                    Hopefully it gets leaked from NY.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• So, should we identify some Native congressmen and maybe a Senator?
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• This is genuinely hilarious.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          So, should we identify some Native congressmen and maybe a Senator?
                          Turns out Elizabeth Warren maybe knew what she was doing when she claimed to be an Oklahoma Cherokee.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Today's Supreme Court rulings on Donald Trump's hidden financial materials are a mixed bag for all involved. On the one hand, the justices rejected the woeful arguments presented by the president's attorneys, but on the other, the high court also sent the matters back to lower courts for a lengthy review.

Or put another way, Trump lost on principle, but prevailed on politics: the practical effects of the rulings will mean the president's secret documents, including his tax returns, will remain under wraps until well after Election Day 2020.
                            So, we pretty much get nothing out of today's rulings.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...l7jDPqF7bO0vPg

As a consolation prize he better be in jail by sometime next year or we for sure know there is no justice in America.

Comment

• Ted Cruz says, "The Supreme Court just gave away half of Oklahoma, literally. Manhattan is next."

That's a weird say of saying that treaties actually mean something.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Ted Cruz says, "The Supreme Court just gave away half of Oklahoma, literally. Manhattan is next."

That's a weird say of saying that treaties actually mean something.
                                Also shows that Ted Cruz doesn't know what the fu** he's talking about.

All this means is that any laws broken on tribal land, by a native American, must be handled either by Tribal court for misdemeanors or by the Federal Government for more serious crimes. The State Courts of Oklahoma are not recognized by the tribes.

From the brief articles I have read, this *could* affect a wide range of cases where native Americans are serving time in state prison. But as was pointed out, the Federal Government is much more strict in their sentencing which could lead to stiffer jail time if anyone tries to appeal their current sentence.

With that said, I fully expect Unofan or others with their ear much closer to the ground on this to correct me.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X