Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Almost enough to make you chuckle at all the pearl clutching that's gone on in the SCOTUS thread these past four years, eh?
    Again, this was exactly on point for the Roberts Court. They f-ck us on economics, protect the Nazis on procedure, then buy back credibility with social. It's the Plutes looking after their own.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      Hey everyone: thanks. People like me have a long way to go, but today matters. I started to cry when I picked up my lunch today.
      Girls.

Comment

Almost enough to make you chuckle at all the pearl clutching that's gone on in the SCOTUS thread these past four years, eh?
        Not really. Bush v. Gore and Citizens United cemented the plutocracy into power for the next 3 generations. So, **** their willingness to look the other way on a few social issues.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Again, this was exactly on point for the Roberts Court. They f-ck us on economics, protect the Nazis on procedure, then buy back credibility with social. It's the Plutes looking after their own.
          With every Supreme Court it's a mixed bag. The Court is never as extreme as some people claim they are, or some people want.

Also, I'm pretty sure that it was mostly social issues that caused much of the hand-wringing around here. Things like guns, LGBTQ issues, Roe, etc... Granted, they haven't decide the abortion cases yet but I'm certainly willing to bet they won't result in overturning Roe, everyone's fear with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

With every Supreme Court it's a mixed bag. The Court is never as extreme as some people claim they are, or some people want.

Also, I'm pretty sure that it was mostly social issues that caused much of the hand-wringing around here. Things like guns, LGBTQ issues, Roe, etc... Granted, they haven't decide the abortion cases yet but I'm certainly willing to bet they won't result in overturning Roe, everyone's fear with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.
            By the numbers, this is the most economically rightwing out-of-step Court in American history, even worse than the Lochner Court. It's the only thing allowing the Plutes and the Heists to continue.

As for social "hand-wringing," I think we all remember the hand-wringing about Germany in the 30s. That sure turned out to be much ado about nothing. But, yes, your lack of concern about attacks on people other than yourself is noted and logged.

You may have not gotten the memo but that incel "I don't care, do you?" garbage doesn't sell outside of Freep and CPAC anymore. Find a different shtick; that look is out along with goose stepping.
            Last edited by Kepler; 06-16-2020, 08:34 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That's just the sideshow. They make everyone nervous and fighting over basic rights like Black Lives Matter and the control over your own body while they steal every dollar that isn't nailed down.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

That's just the sideshow. They make everyone nervous and fighting over basic rights like Black Lives Matter and the control over your own body while they steal every dollar that isn't nailed down.
                It is used by the GOP to get their dopes in a lather and voting to cut their own throats, yes. But it's not a sideshow for the people who are hurt en passant.

Republican Plutes don't give a sh-t about race or gender. They put policies in place to murder blacks and trans to get their racist and fundamentalist mouthbreather base excited. But that's no consolation to those murdered.
                Cornell University

Comment

By the numbers, this is the most economically rightwing out-of-step Court in American history, even worse than the Lochner Court. It's the only thing allowing the Plutes and the Heists to continue.

As for social "hand-wringing," I think we all remember the hand-wringing about Germany in the 30s. That sure turned out to be much ado about nothing. But, yes, your lack of concern about attacks on people other than yourself is noted and logged.

You may have not gotten the memo but that incel "I don't care, do you?" garbage doesn't sell outside of Freep and CPAC anymore. Find a different shtick; that look is out along with goose stepping.
                  It's ok to admit you're wrong sometimes. I've done it. It doesn't demonstrate weakness. We can all be wrong.

Since the time of Robert Bork, at least, there have been nothing but proclamations from the left about the horrors that will descend upon us if Republican appointee "x" is approved. It never changes. The arguments never change. The sky is falling predictions never change. Jeebus, at least show a little originality.

And what happens? The nominee is approved. That's it.

Do you want me to run down the decisions since then, the issues that have been decided? It's kind of funny, actually, to watch the Federalist Society keep pushing that rock up the hill, thinking "if we just get this one more" they're finally going to get their way. It never happens.

But hey, you guys just keep being you.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

It is used by the GOP to get their dopes in a lather and voting to cut their own throats, yes. But it's not a sideshow for the people who are hurt en passant.

Republican Plutes don't give a sh-t about race or gender. They put policies in place to murder blacks and trans to get their racist and fundamentalist mouthbreather base excited. But that's no consolation to those murdered.
                    Of course people get hurt. Every dollar stolen hurts a lot of people as well. They don't give a **** either way. Most of it is just classic redirection and damm the collateral damage.

Comment

Since the time of Robert Bork, at least, there have been nothing but proclamations from the left about the horrors that will descend upon us if Republican appointee "x" is approved. It never changes. The arguments never change. The sky is falling predictions never change. Jeebus, at least show a little originality.
                      The dire economic and political damage has been done. The neo-feudal economy and wholesale corporate bribery of our politics is installed. We're living in an America which is significantly less democratic than it was fifty years ago. The fact that it is more tolerant socially does not change that. The threat to create a Handmaid's Tale theme park was the camouflage the Plutes used to get white racists and thumpers to repeal the New Deal.

That happened. We're not warning of a coming dystopia. We already live there.

Last edited by Kepler; 06-16-2020, 09:10 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

It's ok to admit you're wrong sometimes. I've done it. It doesn't demonstrate weakness. We can all be wrong.

Do you want me to run down the decisions since then, the issues that have been decided? It's kind of funny, actually, to watch the Federalist Society keep pushing that rock up the hill, thinking "if we just get this one more" they're finally going to get their way. It never happens.

It must be nice to be this blasé about the state of the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

It must be nice to be this blasé about the state of the country.
                          Yeah, nothing abnormal has happened last 4 years. Life is good for straight white males still though.

Comment

Wow. Delusion is strong in this one. It's not funny.

Comment

You know I was going to actually agree with some of what you were saying but Jesus Christ man this post is just laughably wrong.

Then again what would you care that they gutted the Voting Rights Act though amirite? That hasnt hurt anyone. Them giving Trump a sloppy one by keeping his racist travel ban in place certainly doesnt really hurt anyone at all nor has their blocking the House Dems from getting the transcripts they requested. McCutcheon and Citizens United (to go back a few years) certainly havent made the US Electoral Process a complete and total dumpster fire.

Those examples do way more damage than anything you are going to post about.

But please...educate all of us pearl clutchers about how the conservative court hasnt really been as bad as we think it is.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Then again what would you care that they gutted the Voting Rights Act though amirite? That hasnt hurt anyone.
                                If you want to call the election of the most racially and ethnically diverse Congress in history "hurting" the country, be my guest. That's not how I'd describe it.

Comment

Working...
                                X