Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Its amusing why some people care who supported what when in this thread. As if Dems aren’t capable of altering thoughts based on latest, new info. I’m sure mine will continue to evolve and shift on the court topic
    I’m glad you’re amused. This has been my favorite thread for weeks. Talking about where we all agree is boring. Talking about differences is where the fun comes in, at least for me.
    As for The Squad, absolutely talk this sh-t up. Move the Overton Window. If the American public is for expanding the Court in 4 years, I’m not going to put a stop to it.

    Comment


    • 6 more justices? It's quicker to add something funky to the drinking water of Thomas, Alito, and Keystone Light.

      And how about we just ram the Equality Act through and be done with it?
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

        No, he didn't bank on only one thing. He banked on the other side working with him and it burned him. The only way what you're suggesting works is if we take Turtle Boy's minority powers away. Which we will have to do anyway. So, getting through all the justices is easy and fast then. They got Amy through fast. Dems could blast through 100 in two months if they needed to.
        This, 100 percent.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          The fact that you think anyone who thinks this isnt the greatest idea in the history of the world is a "Centrist" proves in all your years of education you never did get past the Trixie level of discourse you just use more flowery words.
          You can always tell a man has a great argument when he goes ad hom.

          As for it being easy to adopt a strategy when your butt isn't on the line, yes, exactly my point. Of course a middle aged decent income white male is going to think we should wait and see what happens with the Court before we do anything radical. When our most vulnerable people are destroyed by the Nazi Court you and I are still going to be okay.

          The tepidness of the Democratic party has been their downfall for 40 years. It's why voters despise them. It's why nothing ever gets done. It's why the Right keeps pushing this country into fascism despite dwindling as a percentage of the population.

          You've had your cautious philosophy dominate the Democratic party for our entire adult lifetimes and it has failed. Your idea is simply refuted by history. Thankfully the utes are shaping up to be far more brave and creative than we were. I hope they grab this party by the scruff of the neck and shove it down our throats.

          Hey, you under 40s, to you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high!


          Last edited by Kepler; 10-28-2020, 03:40 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            As long as the GOP thinks Suburban Women still worry about Dem Darkies cumin in an rapin' all da White Ladies they will have an issue in the suburbs.
            I'm not sure if "worry" is the right word.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

              I'm not sure if "worry" is the right word.
              epic. i thought of the same reference.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

              Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by psych View Post

                I’m glad you’re amused. This has been my favorite thread for weeks. Talking about where we all agree is boring. Talking about differences is where the fun comes in, at least for me.
                As for The Squad, absolutely talk this sh-t up. Move the Overton Window. If the American public is for expanding the Court in 4 years, I’m not going to put a stop to it.
                ****it I better start insult Kentucky soon we are agreeing too much ;-)
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

                "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

                Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                Comment


                • Originally posted by psych View Post

                  I’m glad you’re amused. This has been my favorite thread for weeks. Talking about where we all agree is boring. Talking about differences is where the fun comes in, at least for me.
                  As for The Squad, absolutely talk this sh-t up. Move the Overton Window. If the American public is for expanding the Court in 4 years, I’m not going to put a stop to it.
                  I get some really good info from here and have certainly altered my views based on here.
                  currently writing a large paper to finish up grad school and have altered my thesis this week based on a few Swedish papers. Like to think I can keep learning

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                    You can always tell a man has a great argument when he goes ad hom.

                    As for it being easy to adopt a strategy when your butt isn't on the line, yes, exactly my point. Of course a middle aged decent income white male is going to think we should wait and see what happens with the Court before we do anything radical. When our most vulnerable people are destroyed by the Nazi Court you and I are still going to be okay.

                    The tepidness of the Democratic party has been their downfall for 40 years. It's why voters despise them. It's why nothing ever gets done. It's why the Right keeps pushing this country into fascism despite dwindling as a percentage of the population.

                    You've had your cautious philosophy dominate the Democratic party for our entire adult lifetimes and it has failed. Your idea is simply refuted by history. Thankfully the utes are shaping up to be far more brave and creative than we were. I hope they grab this party by the scruff of the neck and shove it down our throats.

                    Hey, you under 40s, to you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high!

                    Trust me, nothing of my philosophy is anywhere near what the Democratic Party has done. That you havent gotten that after all these years tells me you arent listening at all man you are just bloviating your opinion and pretending you get it. If you want to Cliff's Notes my opinions that is your business but you look as foolish as Rover does when he tries the same BS. To you I am a Centrist, to him I am a pot smoking, drum circle Lib Occupying Wall Street begging for handouts. Something tells me I am doing it right...

                    And again it is easy for you to say "just do what must be done and nevermind the consequences". When the fit hits the shan as the pendulum swings the other way you wont get hit. MT will though, most women will and all minorities will. But hey then you can beat your chest some more, quote some philosophers no one cares about and do it all over again. If anything YOUR attitude is what has been prevalent for the Dems in my lifetime because it is find the one thing you can do to **** off everyone including your base, lose power, watch as everyone you care about gets bent over a table while the GOP runs roughshod, spend 8 years crying about it and then do the whole thing over again when you get power. You focus on the big play, the 70 yard pass instead of taking 15 yards here, 8 yards there and scoring that way.

                    But lets end the feuding and break it down since we obviously have different views of this (both legit) and there is no real need to be vitriolic about it. Lets say we have 2 years to do what must be done. That's it...2 years. To me it is more important to fix 25 problems than just 1. (that wont even last) To me I would rather pass legislation that helps everyone and put judges in place in lower courts to start to fix the problem. I want to do things that will help the states as much as the Feds. In 2 years we can do that if we take the Senate. If we wait, we get nothing done after those 2 years because the GOP will gum up the works.

                    I get you think it is worth that risk, hell as I said half of me agrees and if it happens I will cross my fingers and hope it works. But to me (and remember I am someone that loves the SC) the SC is the least of the concerns right now and it isnt even a lock we can fix it anyways. (if we have 52 in the Senate there is almost no way we will be able to make it work) So how about we pass a ton of Progressive Legislation we both agree is needed badly, put the Progressives in a more powerful position within the Party in the hopes of moving it away from the Biden type candidates and closer to the AOC type candidates and really start to fix this country. We can do that and the SC will be impotent to stop it.

                    You dont beat the GOP at their own game by going for the hail mary. You do it like they do, step by step, cut by cut so by the time they have a chance to stop anything it will be an avalanche of crap they need to wade through. You make them waste all their time fighting say LGBTQ+ rights all the while you are passing legislation to beef up the Voting Rights Act. You let them bloviate about The Green New Deal all the while you are signing tax reform bills. You let them spend all their time whining about Abortion and you push through the ERA or add the Public Option to the ACA. You make "A Whole New Deal" and start with the Stimulus and go from there. And if they start whining about the deficit or debt you just ignore it and keep going. You shove it down their *** throats. You dont waver, you dont question you just say "Elections have consequences and the people wanted this!" and you ram it all home and then, if you get ousted in 2 years or Biden loses re-election they will have to spend all their time dismantling it which tends to make people like it more anyways. That is what they do, and that is what we can do if we just dont step on our own dicks while trying to measure them.
                    Last edited by Handyman; 10-28-2020, 05:01 PM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

                    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

                    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      some stuff missing the point
                      You're missing the point. I am not saying "roll the dice and chance the consequences." I am saying that the way to lock in and then grow our electoral advantages is to act boldly. The risky strategy here is blowing our chance (again). That is what turns voters off.

                      The Nazis have shown us something: if you push your convictions all the way to the letter of the law your voters will reward you with greater loyalty and enthusiasm. Your opponents, meanwhile, were already 100% committed to your destruction. It isn't like they are going to be double secret motivated against you because you actually did something. If anything they will be weakened and have fewer tools to fight back.

                      The risk here is that we do not protect the vulnerable people the Nazis are out to crush. The Democratic members of the government are our only legal and practical instrument for grabbing the knife out of the Nazi Court before it slashes their throats. To not do so immediately is the equivalent of standing back as the guy with the gun walks through the school, saying, "Hold on, now... let's see what happens. I mean, I don't believe anybody could be so callous as to shoot kids, do you? And let's say he does. My god, do you realize the optics of that? We'll be set for the midterms!"

                      That is not wisdom; it is dereliction.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                        You're missing the point. I am not saying "roll the dice and chance the consequences." I am saying that the way to lock in and then grow our electoral advantages is to act boldly. The risky strategy here is blowing our chance (again). That is what turns voters off.

                        The Nazis have shown us something: if you push your convictions all the way to the letter of the law your voters will reward you with greater loyalty and enthusiasm. Your opponents, meanwhile, were already 100% committed to your destruction. It isn't like they are going to be double secret motivated against you because you actually did something. If anything they will be weakened and have fewer tools to fight back.

                        The risk here is that we do not protect the vulnerable people the Nazis are out to crush. The Democratic members of the government are our only legal and practical instrument for grabbing the knife out of the Nazi Court before it slashes their throats. To not do so immediately is the equivalent of standing back as the guy with the gun walks through the school, saying, "Hold on, now... let's see what happens. I mean, I don't believe anybody could be so callous as to shoot kids, do you? And let's say he does. My god, do you realize the optics of that? We'll be set for the midterms!"

                        That is not wisdom; it is dereliction.
                        But aren't the "nazis" as you like to refer to them, about to get thrown out of office for proceeding exactly as you propose the Dems proceed, which is sort of Handy's point?
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                          But aren't the "nazis" as you like to refer to them, about to get thrown out of office for proceeding exactly as you propose the Dems proceed, which is sort of Handy's point?
                          No. The Nazis are being thrown out because (1) Dump lost his novelty appeal among all non-Nazis -- you don't get to run as High Plains Drifter when you are the incumbent -- and (2) the GOP did its usual incompetent job of managing our economy and health for anybody other than the 1%.

                          The Nazis are not being punished for being bold (in their case well over the line into criminality) AT ALL. If they had a better hood ornament than a rotting, syphilitic, treasonous pumpkin, and they had done even a remotely competent job at the basic minimum requirements of governance, they'd be looking at a second term and holding the Senate. If anything the Nazis' energetic actions with the Court have helped them retain their base enthusiasm. They are about to have record GOP voter turn out and they already have raised record donations. They got 110% of their voters. They just screwed up so badly that they're gonna get swamped by the non-hypnotized who are unsatisfied with the results.

                          Without COVID you guys win -- not despite the Gestapo drag act but because of it. That's how things have become now: utterly tribal. Nazi voters don't recoil when the SS twists a broken bottle into the face of an immigrant child or a woman.

                          They get off on it.


                          Last edited by Kepler; 10-28-2020, 06:14 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                            No. The Nazis are being thrown out because (1) Dump lost his novelty appeal among all non-Nazis -- you don't get to run as High Plains Drifter when you are the incumbent -- and (2) the GOP did its usual incompetent job of managing our economy and health for anybody other than the 1%.

                            The Nazis are not being punished for being bold (in their case well over the line into criminality) AT ALL. If they had a better hood ornament than a rotting, syphilitic, treasonous pumpkin, and they had done even a remotely competent job at the basic minimum requirements of governance, they'd be looking at a second term and holding the Senate. If anything the Nazis' energetic actions with the Court have helped them retain their base enthusiasm. They are about to have record GOP voter turn out and they already have raised record donations. They got 110% of their voters. They just screwed up so badly that they're gonna get swamped by the non-hypnotized who are unsatisfied with the results.

                            Without COVID you guys win -- not despite the Gestapo drag act but because of it. That's how things have become now: utterly tribal. Nazi voters don't recoil when the SS twists a broken bottle into the face of an immigrant child or a woman.

                            They get off on it.

                            That doesn't explain the House in 2018 and I think you're simplistically addressing reasons why they may lose the Senate in 2020. The nazis are going to nazi, but you completely fail to comprehend the scope of those that gave Trump a chance once but won't fall for it again.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

                              That doesn't explain the House in 2018 and I think you're simplistically addressing reasons why they may lose the Senate in 2020. The nazis are going to nazi, but you completely fail to comprehend the scope of those that gave Trump a chance once but won't fall for it again.
                              Those people do exist. I know 3 or 4 personally who have gone into great communication about why their vote for him last time was a mistake

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                6 more justices? It's quicker to add something funky to the drinking water of Thomas, Alito, and Keystone Light.

                                And how about we just ram the Equality Act through and be done with it?
                                yes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X