Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psych View Post

I think all of us on here will do our part and vote. I support unofan going to the polls and voting D in what is quickly becoming a potential pickup opportunity for Biden, not to mention whichever D candidate/incumbent needs help in his district. Most of us here are all on the same team. It’s fairly obvious who isn’t.
    What I don’t appreciate is condescension, whether it’s coming from a Democrat, Republican, or Ralph Nader. I won’t take s-it from someone who assumes to know what my post is conveying, and then gets it all wrong. If it wasn’t clear, ask to clarify, or ignore my post entirely. Seems easy enough to me. Now, back to the regularly scheduled topic at hand.
    I’ll add that unofan has the unique opportunity on this board of voting Joni Ernst, squealy McDonothingsquealer, out of office. I mean, I suppose if I had to choose between his condescension and voting for Greenfield vs. being nice on here and staying home (a half-vote for Ernst, as he always rightly points out), I’d choose the former in a heartbeat. Carry on.
    I respect all that. I would argue the following:

1. It's always hard to get people's motives from pure text. Giving the benefit of the doubt can prevent misunderstandings.
    2. Keeping the above in mind, we could all be more careful in how we talk to each other.
    3. I should talk; I'm the worst one here.
    4. Everybody knows all this already; why am I still talking?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Because when you say it paved the way for McConnell to kill it for SCOTUS nominees and effectively gave him an excuse for doing so, it's bullshiat spin that the GOP and Murdoch media empire threw out there and somehow got to stick even though it's bullshiat. It's the political equivalent of an abusive spouse blaming the victim for making them mad and forcing them to be abusive.

Reid's actions had exactly zero import to McConnell. McConnell's actions would not have changed one bit regardless of what Reid did or did not do. It didn't pave the way for anything. All it did was allow Obama to get a few more judges appointed.
      The core problem is the Democrats have been negotiating with terrorists for the last 20+ years. Pretty much since Rush and Newt reshaped the Republican Party. And we all know what happens when you negotiate with terrorists. And Turtle Boy has been lead Terrorist for a good while now. When you're willing to burn the whole ****ing house down you tend to get your way.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• DIAF Ted
        ”Sen. Ted Cruz blocked a resolution honoring the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, objecting to language about her reported dying wish that her successor not be chosen until a new president is installed.”

dignity is only dead because Republicans killed it

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...5fhQukIs075_GQ

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

The core problem is the Democrats have been negotiating with terrorists for the last 20+ years. Pretty much since Rush and Newt reshaped the Republican Party. And we all know what happens when you negotiate with terrorists. And Turtle Boy has been lead Terrorist for a good while now. When you're willing to burn the whole ****ing house down you tend to get your way.
          Obama was the last Dem who will ever appease the Nazis. We all know better, now. Even Biden and he was the last to suss it out. Conservatives have their eyes fixed on some utopian paradise and everything can be rationalized to achieve it. Their holy mission justifies any means. It began with torture and police brutality and now extends to everything from concentration camps to overturning elections. They'd use nukes if they could figure out a way to.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Because when you say it paved the way for McConnell to kill it for SCOTUS nominees and effectively gave him an excuse for doing so, it's bullshiat spin that the GOP and Murdoch media empire threw out there and somehow got to stick even though it's bullshiat. It's the political equivalent of an abusive spouse blaming the victim for making them mad and forcing them to be abusive.

Reid's actions had exactly zero import to McConnell. McConnell's actions would not have changed one bit regardless of what Reid did or did not do. It didn't pave the way for anything. All it did was allow Obama to get a few more judges appointed.
            Since I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re reading the entirety of my posts, you realize that there’s nothing you posted that I didn’t already write out in my post? Like, none of it. If you can’t see that, then I don’t know how to make myself any clearer for you.
            As for your political equivalent, in your scenario, Harry Reid would have been the original abuser, and Mitch McConnell the abused, since Reid was in power in 2013 when all of this first went down. Unlike in your scenario, where the abuser almost always stays the abuser in a relationship, and doesn’t give up that power every couple years, McConnell had his chance to become the abuser. He used his power and blamed Democrats, just like we knew he would. He would have used his power and blamed Democrats, even if Reid hadn’t have done anything in 2013, and would have used a different excuse to blame Democrats even if Reid hadn’t done what he’d done. We reaped some rewards (extra justices) and suffered some consequences. That’s what happened.
            Again, I’m 100% on board with the filibuster being abolished in its entirety. I’m cool with majority rule, not super-majority rule. I’m glad Reid did what he did. I wish he would have abolished the SC justices filibuster too instead of leaving it to McConnell. Clearly, he thinks the same way now since he cane out last year and said the filibuster should be abolished in its entirety.

Comment

• I know this is talking to a wall, but has Mitch actually stated a reason for why he's being a hypocrite? I'm curious to their logic on this one...
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Since I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re reading the entirety of my posts, you realize that there’s nothing you posted that I didn’t already write out in my post? Like, none of it. If you can’t see that, then I don’t know how to make myself any clearer for you.
                As for your political equivalent, in your scenario, Harry Reid would have been the original abuser, and Mitch McConnell the abused, since Reid was in power in 2013 when all of this first went down. Unlike in your scenario, where the abuser almost always stays the abuser in a relationship, and doesn’t give up that power every couple years, McConnell had his chance to become the abuser. He used his power and blamed Democrats, just like we knew he would. He would have used his power and blamed Democrats, even if Reid hadn’t have done anything in 2013, and would have used a different excuse to blame Democrats even if Reid hadn’t done what he’d done. We reaped some rewards (extra justices) and suffered some consequences. That’s what happened.
                Again, I’m 100% on board with the filibuster being abolished in its entirety. I’m cool with majority rule, not super-majority rule. I’m glad Reid did what he did. I wish he would have abolished the SC justices filibuster too instead of leaving it to McConnell. Clearly, he thinks the same way now since he cane out last year and said the filibuster should be abolished in its entirety.
                No. Turtle Boy was the original abuser. The unprecedented move was using his minority power to deny any justices from being confirmed. He basically shut the whole ****ing operation down. Harry had two choices. Let him get away with it or do the only thing he could to move the logjam. Either way he was ****ed.

By the way. You know what happens to the Justice Calendar and the whole speedy trial thing when you have no Judges to work the cases? That's where Turtle Boy Terrorist was willing to go. Very similar to how there is no Covid bill yet this time around. The Republicans are done with that. We'll have all the airlines in Bankruptcy before he's done and the unemployment numbers are really going to skyrocket.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  I know this is talking to a wall, but has Mitch actually stated a reason for why he's being a hypocrite? I'm curious to their logic on this one...
                  Power. He doesn’t care. I think it’s that obvious. He wants his justices, and he doesn’t give a f-ck how he gets them. There isn’t any logic other than he wants as many conservatives on the courts as possible.

Comment

I know this is talking to a wall, but has Mitch actually stated a reason for why he's being a hypocrite? I'm curious to their logic on this one...
                    He's claiming no hypocrisy because APPARENTLY no Supremes get confirmed in an election year when the Senate and the President are of opposite parties. But, when they are of the same party everything is fine.

If for no other reason this is exactly why 2016 was so ****ing important. And the fact that many Democrats sat out, voted 3rd party, or crossed over will be a stain on the nation forever. These 4 years are going to live in the history books forever. Our hope is we can correct everything that has been destroyed before it's too late.

Comment

Power. He doesn’t care. I think it’s that obvious. He wants his justices, and he doesn’t give a f-ck how he gets them. There isn’t any logic other than he wants as many conservatives on the courts as possible.
                      I get that part of it... I'm just more curious what Fox is gonna be telling the morons to use as a counterpoint when the hypocrisy is pointed out... Scooby pointed out that it's the fact that they President and Senate are of the same party in an election year. That's all they need for the green light..
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

No. Turtle Boy was the original abuser. The unprecedented move was using his minority power to deny any justices from being confirmed. He basically shut the whole ****ing operation down. Harry had two choices. Let him get away with it or do the only thing he could to move the logjam. Either way he was ****ed.

By the way. You know what happens to the Justice Calendar and the whole speedy trial thing when you have no Judges to work the cases? That's where Turtle Boy Terrorist was willing to go. Very similar to how there is no Covid bill yet this time around. The Republicans are done with that. We'll have all the airlines in Bankruptcy before he's done and the unemployment numbers are really going to skyrocket.
                        I don’t think you or unofan understands how an abusive relationship works then. As for McConnell blocking ALL judges, a cursory glance on google ha Obama getting something like 80% of judicial nominees confirmed in his first term, before Reid abolished the filibuster. Do I think McConnell would have continued his crap? Absolutely, positively, 100%. May that number have dropped from 80% later into Obama’s second term without the abolishing? Absolutely possible. Does that make McConnell the abuser when he only had one small piece of power versus Reid being Majority Leader with an ally in the Oval Office? Not a chance in hell. I don’t even like comparing politics to physical abuse unless we’re actually talking about a subject that touches on such things, but, here we are.

Comment

I get that part of it... I'm just more curious what Fox is gonna be telling the morons to use as a counterpoint when the hypocrisy is pointed out... Scooby pointed out that it's the fact that they President and Senate are of the same party in an election year. That's all they need for the green light..
                          Ah, my bad. I misunderstood your post. I have no idea what Fox’s response is going to be. It very well could be the drivel that the White House and Senate are represented by the same party, since that’s what McConnell is publicly using as his rationale. Clearly, he doesn’t actually believe that nonsense.

Comment

It would be stupid of him to not try to push the nomination through, and history would rightly ridicule him for it.

If a party controls the White House, it controls the Senate, and an opening occurs, how do you not fill it? It's really the same for any legislation. If the Democrats controlled both Houses of Congress during Obama's first two years, don't whine to me that he, and Congress, couldn't get all their initiatives through. Failure to do so is failure as a politician.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I don’t think you or unofan understands how an abusive relationship works then. As for McConnell blocking ALL judges, a cursory glance on google ha Obama getting something like 80% of judicial nominees confirmed in his first term, before Reid abolished the filibuster. Do I think McConnell would have continued his crap? Absolutely, positively, 100%. May that number have dropped from 80% later into Obama’s second term without the abolishing? Absolutely possible. Does that make McConnell the abuser when he only had one small piece of power versus Reid being Majority Leader with an ally in the Oval Office? Not a chance in hell. I don’t even like comparing politics to physical abuse unless we’re actually talking about a subject that touches on such things, but, here we are.
                              Ok. You want to believe Obama and Harry were abusing their power so be it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

It would be stupid of him to not try to push the nomination through, and history would rightly ridicule him for it.

If a party controls the White House, it controls the Senate, and an opening occurs, how do you not fill it? It's really the same for any legislation. If the Democrats controlled both Houses of Congress during Obama's first two years, don't whine to me that he, and Congress, couldn't get all their initiatives through. Failure to do so is failure as a politician.
                                lol. This is hilarious. You evidently were asleep during the passing of Obamacare.

Comment

Working...
                                X