Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
    I too fear what happens after the pendulum swings left. How far right is it going to be dragged after that?
    y(t) = et/2 * cos(π * t)

if y(t) < -100 Then

Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That is a myth. Flyover land didn't exist when the Electoral College was created. The Electoral College was explicitly created to entice slave holding southern states to support the Union.

As for being ignored, if 40% of the population has 40% of the voting power that isn't being ignored, it's being fairly represented. 40% of the population having 60% of the voting power is not some self-protective measure, it's saying rural voters are more important -- more authentic, more moral, more Christian, more white -- than urban voters. And that's just bullsh-t, even if it gives you personally a warm fuzzy.

You like the EC and Senate because it works for you and that's more important to you than democracy. I hate the EC and Senate because it works against me. I think I also hate them because they are against democracy, but it's fair to say that if they benefitted me I might not be as fired up about protecting democracy.

Rotten boroughs suck. We should either fix this so we are more democratic or we should allow the people in the Second America go their separate way, finally, peacefully, and have two happy countries instead of one miserable one.

I want a divorce. The kids are all grown up and outta the house now. It's time to see other countries.
      538 had this to say:
      We ran the numbers, and the Senate is currently around *6 to 7 points* (!) more Republican than the country as a whole, based on the position of the median states relative to the national average. That means Dems need ~landslide margins to win the Senate. This stems mostly from the urban vs. rural composition of the country. Nationwide, there are about the same number of people living in big cities and rural areas. But in the Senate, rural areas get 2.5x more representation (!) than big cities. And white voters are represented as though they're 68% of the country in the Senate, when they're actually 60%. It's basically as if you'd turned the clock back 20 years.

PS the Senate skew toward Republicans (6-7 points) is both bigger and more permanent than the Electoral College one (2-3 points) or the one in the House (a bit tricky to measure but probably amounts to 2-4 points in practice right now and possibly less after 2020 redistricting).
      Source

This isn't a pendulum swing, it's a permanent disadvantage because it's not going to get better, it's going to get worse. I've seen estimates that by 2040, 70% of the Senate will be controlled by 30% of the population.
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

538 had this to say:

Source

This isn't a pendulum swing, it's a permanent disadvantage because it's not going to get better, it's going to get worse. I've seen estimates that by 2040, 70% of the Senate will be controlled by 30% of the population.
        Simplest solution: create states. DC, split Cali into several states, PR (could actually be more than 1 state). States have been added before for political purposes -- that's orginalism I can get behind.

If we have to tolerate Wyoming being a state then divide all the states out to where each state has Wyoming's population.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Problem is, CA being as large as it is moves the needle outside of CA. If CA decides something, you can be sure a manufacturer is just going to make all of their products to that standard. The cost of not doing business with the fifth largest economy in the world ain't worth it.

Breaking up the smaller blue states is worth it. I'd divide Hawaii by 5, RI by 10, add DC, chop MN into MNMPLS and MNSTPA.
          Code:

Comment

• Cali wont split...that ranks up there in ridiculousness of them "Seceding".

DC and PR is going to happen the question is just when. (the answer being when the Dems have control) The timeline gets pushed up if/when the McConnell RBG Seppuku happens.

The mistake The Founders made wasnt the two house system...it was making the Senate the Upper House. It made sense for them but in the modern world it makes zero sense at all. We cant go back though so the only chance there is to even the odds is to create more states...or pray the educated keep flipping states like Virginia and North Carolina.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Lindsay confirms tonight they have the votes to confirm.

funny, no one is even nominated yet

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Cali wont split...that ranks up there in ridiculousness of them "Seceding".We cant go back though so the only chance there is to even the odds is to create more states...or pray the educated keep flipping states like Virginia and North Carolina.
                It's me. I moved to OR and it flipped. I moved to VA and it flipped.

I am moving to AZ.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Cali wont split...that ranks up there in ridiculousness of them "Seceding".

DC and PR is going to happen the question is just when. (the answer being when the Dems have control) The timeline gets pushed up if/when the McConnell RBG Seppuku happens.

The mistake The Founders made wasnt the two house system...it was making the Senate the Upper House. It made sense for them but in the modern world it makes zero sense at all. We cant go back though so the only chance there is to even the odds is to create more states...or pray the educated keep flipping states like Virginia and North Carolina.
                  Jamelle Bouie suggested (jokingly) that we need a new homestead act paying people to move to the most sparsely populated states.

No amendments, no states needing to be admitted, don’t even have to change the flag. Just appropriate it.

It’s literally the easiest pathway.
                  Code:

Comment

Simplest solution: create states. DC, split Cali into several states, PR (could actually be more than 1 state). States have been added before for political purposes -- that's orginalism I can get behind.
                    Simplest solution? Come up with better ideas to earn more votes. Crazy concept, I know, huh??
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• 60m > 50m
                      52m > 34m
                      65m > 62m

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Jamelle Bouie suggested (jokingly) that we need a new homestead act paying people to move to the most sparsely populated states.

No amendments, no states needing to be admitted, don’t even have to change the flag. Just appropriate it.

It’s literally the easiest pathway.
                        It is actually a smart idea. Even leaving aside the benefits for the Dems the added industry and taxes alone will help those states stop being such takers. Hell incentivize people/corporations to move out there and set up Wind Farms and Solar Farms...lots of useable land that can be used to actually help people.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It's me. I moved to OR and it flipped. I moved to VA and it flipped.

I am moving to AZ.
                          That is like how I traveled to Egypt and they had The Arab Spring and then I went to Scotland and they started talking about Independence again. Sadly I stay here and we slide backwards...

Maybe I will go back and hang with the Canadian Ex-Pats in Costa Rica...they know whats up! (or my Bahamas plan)
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

y(t) = et/2 * cos(π * t)

if y(t) < -100 Then

Nice.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Conservative Twitter is jumping on Lady G's bandwagon and using Kavanaugh as a reason why McConnell and the GOP can be hypocrits. You would think Kavanaugh was Mother Theresa and was facing off with the Spanish Inquisition the way they are deifying Rapey McDrunkface.

And this is me as they commit to the Seppuku:

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• We can get as excited as we want about the prospect of packing the courts, taking the senate and presidency, but you better hope to ****ing god we win both because you don’t want a fifth insane person on the court doing her best re-enactment of 2000.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X