Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Roberts concurs with the liberals in striking down Louisiana's abortion ruling, says he thinks it was wrongly decided in 2016 and it's about upholding precedent right now.
    Would have been nice if he thought upholding precedent was just as important when he was deciding which way to go on the Janus VS AFSCME case in 2018. That one was all about eviscerating prededence that was set when a good portion of the court was already practicing law (as in it was not so long ago).

    Comment


    • Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

      Would have been nice if he thought upholding precedent was just as important when he was deciding which way to go on the Janus VS AFSCME case in 2018. That one was all about eviscerating prededence that was set when a good portion of the court was already practicing law (as in it was not so long ago).
      I always thought unions approached that problem in the wrong way.

      If I were in charge of unions, here is the deal I'd propose with states and the federal government. Unions only represent those people who choose to have the unions collectively bargain on their behalf, and they only collect fees from those individuals. But, the trade off is, union representation doesn't require a majority or a certain number of employees in the work place. If a singe person, or two people want to hire a union to collectively bargain for them, the employer has to negotiate with that union.

      You get rid of the nasty fights where employers keep a union out due to intimidation or otherwise.

      It gets the unions in the door, maybe only with 25 or 30% of the work force initially, but if they are worth the money, more people will sign on.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

      Comment


      • Couple interesting ones today.

        Good news to the IP attorneys and trolls out there, adding .com to a generic word can be trademarkable. 8-1 with Breyer dissenting.

        The more far reaching one is the tax credits for religious schools one out of Montana. 5-4 for the conservatives saying that Montana could not forbid tax credits for people donating to religious schools, but the opinions are all over the place. Roberts wrote the majority, but there are literally 8 opinions. Kagan was the only one who didn't write one.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

          I always thought unions approached that problem in the wrong way.

          If I were in charge of unions, here is the deal I'd propose with states and the federal government. Unions only represent those people who choose to have the unions collectively bargain on their behalf, and they only collect fees from those individuals. But, the trade off is, union representation doesn't require a majority or a certain number of employees in the work place. If a singe person, or two people want to hire a union to collectively bargain for them, the employer has to negotiate with that union.

          You get rid of the nasty fights where employers keep a union out due to intimidation or otherwise.

          It gets the unions in the door, maybe only with 25 or 30% of the work force initially, but if they are worth the money, more people will sign on.
          So it’s just “Right To Work” with fancy language? Yeah, it doesn’t work. Unions in this situation are completely starved of the money to effectively fight for their members and, because nobody is required to join, the company now has the ability to divide and conquer their workforce.

          Collective bargaining only works when it’s actually a collective.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

          Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

          Comment


          • https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1277958546940928006

            "Some have lied or made racist comments: Thousands of U.S. judges violated their oaths, broke the law but kept their jobs https://reut.rs/3ijktNx"

            Some of the info from other another tweet:

            "Judge Les Hayes once sentenced a single mother to 496 days behind bars for failing to pay traffic tickets. The sentence was so stiff it exceeded the jail time Alabama allows for negligent homicide https://reut.rs/2ZkVOjb"





            Last edited by Handyman; 06-30-2020, 11:55 AM.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

            "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

            Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1277958546940928006

              "Some have lied or made racist comments: Thousands of U.S. judges violated their oaths, broke the law but kept their jobs https://reut.rs/3ijktNx"

              Some of the info from other another tweet:

              "Judge Les Hayes once sentenced a single mother to 496 days behind bars for failing to pay traffic tickets. The sentence was so stiff it exceeded the jail time Alabama allows for negligent homicide https://reut.rs/2ZkVOjb"




              That's ok. Hannity, Tucker, Laura, and Rush all assure me that there is no systemic racism in America.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

              Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                So it’s just “Right To Work” with fancy language? Yeah, it doesn’t work. Unions in this situation are completely starved of the money to effectively fight for their members and, because nobody is required to join, the company now has the ability to divide and conquer their workforce.

                Collective bargaining only works when it’s actually a collective.
                With my way you'd end up with millions of more union employees. If a union could pick up 20% of every work place in the US, how many union members would there be?

                But be my guest and continue with the way that's worked so well in unionizing the US workforce.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                Comment


                • I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that the current method of spending millions in member dues on big, glossy campaigns to unionize other organizations doesn't sit well with a lot of non-union employees.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                    With my way you'd end up with millions of more union employees. If a union could pick up 20% of every work place in the US, how many union members would there be?

                    But be my guest and continue with the way that's worked so well in unionizing the US workforce.
                    20% of zero is still zero. And under your scheme zero is the exact amount of leverage any unionized employees would have. What exactly could they negotiate for if it’s only 20% of the workforce?

                    “Hey! We want better pay, health care and retirement benefits!”
                    ”There’s only 20 of you and 80 others willing to work for what we offer. F- off.”
                    ”We’ll go on strike!”
                    ”Be our guest. Won’t affect us. In fact, don’t come back, we’ll just hire 20 other people.“

                    Again, collective bargaining only works when it’s the collective. In my job, if we go on strike, everybody goes on strike. Drivers, Rampers, Loaders, Clerks, and even the Pilots. It’s the only way it works.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

                    Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that the current method of spending millions in member dues on big, glossy campaigns to unionize other organizations doesn't sit well with a lot of non-union employees.
                      Can’t speak for other unions but I know most of the money actually goes to paying for representation by the union (negotiators, business administrators, stewards etc.).

                      But, Labor does rely upon strength in numbers. The more people in the union, the more leverage you have through tactics like sympathetic work actions.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

                      Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        20% of zero is still zero. And under your scheme zero is the exact amount of leverage any unionized employees would have. What exactly could they negotiate for if it’s only 20% of the workforce?

                        “Hey! We want better pay, health care and retirement benefits!”
                        ”There’s only 20 of you and 80 others willing to work for what we offer. F- off.”
                        ”We’ll go on strike!”
                        ”Be our guest. Won’t affect us. In fact, don’t come back, we’ll just hire 20 other people.“

                        Again, collective bargaining only works when it’s the collective. In my job, if we go on strike, everybody goes on strike. Drivers, Rampers, Loaders, Clerks, and even the Pilots. It’s the only way it works.
                        They would have the leverage they are entitled to. If it's a union of one, not a lot of leverage.

                        But I'm going to disagree with you on the rest of it.

                        First, not everyone goes out. My daughter was/is in the nurse's union in the Twin Cities, and when that union called a strike she said that a majority of the nurses crossed the line.

                        Also, 20% is a huge number. I can't have 20% of my employees gone without it causing major problems. You ever see a meatpacking line or something like that operate with 80% or its employees? Very, very difficult to do.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          But, Labor does rely upon strength in numbers. The more people in the union, the more leverage you have through tactics like sympathetic work actions.
                          This whole problem goes away if the workers own the place of business.

                          Just sayin'.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                          Comment


                          • Roberts delivers when it matters.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • I see that conservative media is breathlessly suggesting/hoping Thomas retires this fall so that Itch can ram another young conservative judge through the process. Of course we all know they're also quietly rooting for RBG to croak.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                I see that conservative media is breathlessly suggesting/hoping Thomas retires this fall so that Itch can ram another young conservative judge through the process. Of course we all know they're also quietly rooting for RBG to croak.
                                I really want to hear why this is ok during an election year now.....
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                                Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                                Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                                Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X