Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    So, a lot of "****" quote tweets on this one

@SCOTUSblog
    John Roberts, who almost certainly will be a pivotal vote in this case, makes his first remarks of the day. He says fetal viability was not initially an issue in Roe v. Wade, and he says that Justice Blackmun (Roe's author) later suggested that Roe's viability line was dicta.
    9:23 AM ?· Dec 1, 2021?·Twitter Web App

Can someone explain what that last line means to an idiot like me?
    Dicta are things in judicial opinions that aren't controlling, they're just there for flair.

"Legally the cop wins because of qualified immunity, but the cop is still a dick nonetheless."

The first phase is the controlling decision, the second half is dicta.

With Roberts arguing the viability line was just dicta, he's framing it as something that doesn't matter.

Comment

• Based on the questioning I am hearing about this morning Roe is finished IMO. I could be wrong but I don't see any way it survives.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Alito is saying a fetus has an interest in having a life and that "interest" (***) should trump the rights of the woman carrying it. Alito wants us to be incubators, nothing else. That's what this argument is.
        https://twitter.com/ECMcLaughlin/sta...76167161540618
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• This thread hammers it home pretty well.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1466076071514812418

Comment

• Any lawyers want to comment on this?

Justice Thomas saying the quiet part out loud... substantive due process rights originate in the discredited Lochner doctrine... this won't stop at abortion. All of the rights linked to SDP are at risk with this Court.
            https://twitter.com/ProfMMurray/stat...78224476262407

Sounds like the slippery slope is going to get slippier.

Comment

• Thomas must want to get his marriage annulled cause there is no way interracial marriage survives if the GOP gets rolling. As my dad said months ago, if they take down Roe (something he never believes is possible) then all rights are on the table to be destroyed.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Dicta are things in judicial opinions that aren't controlling, they're just there for flair.

"Legally the cop wins because of qualified immunity, but the cop is still a dick nonetheless."

The first phase is the controlling decision, the second half is dicta.

With Roberts arguing the viability line was just dicta, he's framing it as something that doesn't matter.
                From what I'm hearing, it sounds like Roberts is likely looking for a way to gut Roe and Casey without technically overturning them.
                Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigus View Post

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like Roberts is likely looking for a way to gut Roe and Casey without technically overturning them.
                  This is what the Republican justices have been doing for the last 30 years.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by bigus View Post

I don't think he will be successful. Its all or nothing now...
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Roberts masters stacked the court and he’s expected to deliver.

why are all you ninnies being so hysterical.

Comment

• DIAF, Susan

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...312015361?s=21

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          I hope she dies a painful death. The same kind she's putting lady liberty through. C--t.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Collins is having her staff spread that crap. To make it work she would need to end the filibuster and she 100% does not support that. This is CYA because she is the face of this court after her big speech about Kavanaugh.

**** her.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Remember when the US pretended to be a modern, first world country?
                              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                                Remember when the US pretended to be a modern, first world country?
                                I don't anymore. I wish I did. I wish my own naivete hadn't shaped so much of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X