Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've seen a couple photos floating around about how we left with empty planes and just cargo.

Link

JUST IN: "The Crew made the decision to go" Inside RCH 871, which saved 640 from the Taliban ... from
    @TaraCopp
    and me https://defenseone.com/policy/2021/08/inside-reach-871-us-c-17-packed-640-people-trying-escape-taliban/184563/â?¦
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Pretty sure Vlad will be quite happy with the Taliban as long as they use their "resources" to make life miserable for the western powers, and leave Russia alone. Pretty sure that will be the deal.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Jeebus.

640. "That’s believed to be among the most people ever flown in the C-17, a massive military cargo plane that has been operated by the U.S. and its allies for nearly three decades."
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I haven't heard Guam or the Virgin Islands screaming for their freedom lately.
          The Guamanians hate us. The corrupt family that runs the show just keeps the lid on.

(Fun stuff you learn having a wife who worked with dozens of Pacific Islanders.)
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            No, I think you're wrong on this Kep. Unlike us, China and Russia won't have any problem just carpet bombing them into submission.
            You think we did?

Even after all this time the We're the Moral Empire myths persist.

American Exceptionalism, insofar as it used to be real at all (as a nation of laws) stops at the border. One foot on the other side we're every commercial empire with military hardware to convince that has ever existed.

We are gunboat diplomacy with missiles and drones. In foreign policy, we are Russia. China if anything has historically been way better (as long as you aren't part of what they think is their homeland but hey ask the Native Americans about us in that score).

America has, er, had many fine things to recommend us, but we are the British Empire or the Akkadian Empire. We do what we want.
            Last edited by Kepler; 08-16-2021, 05:04 PM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Imperialism isn't about "good". It's about resources and power. When you start adding "good" to the equation is when you lose your power.

Kinda sucks when you can't buy batteries because China has decided to **** with you.
              Then just nuke them and take the lithium. You are arguing two different things simultaneously: that Russia and China will behave differently, and that this is pure power and all foreign policy is smash and grab.

Insofar as you are arguing the former, that's false.

Insofar as you are arguing the latter, the only reason we're leaving is in Afghanistan we determined it's a mug's game. You'll notice we're still propping up the Saudis. There, the equations of imperialism still show a profit.

And here's the thing, we're still the hugest, and always will be, for the products made with all those tasty minerals. We'll just buy them on the market and let the new occupiers absorb all the other costs.
              Last edited by Kepler; 08-16-2021, 05:09 PM.
              Cornell University

Comment

• Thank you Handyman, French Rage, and Swansong. I appreciate the quick Cliff Notes.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

You think we did?

Mookie blames this all on lance corporal Dawson nearly crying when he explained he was supposed to protect Willie!!

all downhill from there…..
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• I just noticed the Mandalorian looking symbol in that picture. Kinda interesting given the storyline in the series.
                    Code:

Comment

You think we did?

American Exceptionalism, insofar as it used to be real at all (as a nation of laws) stops at the border. One foot on the other side we're every commercial empire with military hardware to convince that has ever existed.

We are gunboat diplomacy with missiles and drones. In foreign policy, we are Russia. China if anything has historically been way better (as long as you aren't part of what they think is their homeland but hey ask the Native Americans about us in that score).

America has, er, had many fine things to recommend us, but we are the British Empire or the Akkadian Empire. We do what we want.
                      In comparison to Russia and China? Absolutely.

We're by no means innocent. And certainly in a historical perspective.
                      Code:

Comment

China will do whatever the spreadsheets tell them to do.
                        That is probably the best way to put it!

Don't make the same mistake we all did when we entered this stupid war...dont assume you can find logic in any action in that part of the world or out of the actors involved. Just because they are all authoritarian criminals doesn't mean they will get along and wont stab each other in the back the second they can. (China will be more calculated) The hatred from the Taliban to Russia (and KGB punks like Putin who probably murdered their parents) didn't just go away and sooner or later they will push back. The Taliban isn't Crimea...
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Then just nuke them and take the lithium. You are arguing two different things simultaneously: that Russia and China will behave differently, and that this is pure power and all foreign policy is smash and grab.

Insofar as you are arguing the former, that's false.
                          No, I'm not. They're going to take the path of least resistance. That means exchanging cash and power for resources. Nuking them is not the path of least resistance. Yet. I'm not sure why this is confusing you.

Insofar as you are arguing the latter, the only reason we're leaving is in Afghanistan we determined it's a mug's game. You'll notice we're still propping up the Saudis. There, the equations of imperialism still show a profit.
                          I don't disagree with that. Of course we got out because the costs of staying were more than the benefits. I'm not sure why you think I'm arguing anything but that.

And here's the thing, we're still the hugest, and always will be, for the products made with all those tasty minerals. We'll just buy them on the market and let the new occupiers absorb all the other costs.
                          This is funny coming from the guy who seems to always get in a quarterly blurb about empires always ending.
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

That is probably the best way to put it!

Don't make the same mistake we all did when we entered this stupid war...dont assume you can find logic in any action in that part of the world or out of the actors involved. Just because they are all authoritarian criminals doesn't mean they will get along and wont stab each other in the back the second they can. (China will be more calculated) The hatred from the Taliban to Russia (and KGB punks like Putin who probably murdered their parents) didn't just go away and sooner or later they will push back. The Taliban isn't Crimea...
                            Yeah, I'm not saying this a situation where both sides found their soul mate and they'll love each other for ever and ever and ever. I'm saying, for now, they are in a relationship of convenience. Every side gets what they want. Until someone's wants change. Then the inevitable messy breakup will come.

None of my posts have ever implied (or rather, intended to) anything but a temporary relationship between Russia, China, and the Taliban. It might work for a month, it might work for 100 years. But right now, they're absolutely trying to find something that works.
                            Code:

Comment

• No I know you are smarter than that it was more for Scooby!

I wonder how Trixie is reacting...
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I've seen a couple photos floating around about how we left with empty planes and just cargo.

Link

Next, the Right will be whining about the Covid superspreader.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X