Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    Further thoughts.

The fact that the feckless and incompetent and corrupt Afghani government lasted less than a week after we began evacuating US citizens and Afghanis that helped us tells me that we should have left years ago. 20 years, $2+ trillion and thousands of American lives (not to mention the zillions of Afghani lives) is enough.

I heard a great analogy for this failure. "We didn't spend 20 years there. We spent 1 year. 20 times."
    Part of that (albeit small) would seem to be Trump leaving them out of negotiations to end all of this. I mean Trump cut the deal with the Taliban and left the AFG in the cold. Talk about embarrassing he pantsed them on the world stage...for a group of terrorists.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Part of that (albeit small) would seem to be Trump leaving them out of negotiations to end all of this. I mean Trump cut the deal with the Taliban and left the AFG in the cold. Talk about embarrassing he pantsed them on the world stage...for a group of terrorists.
      And we had only 2500 troops there to facilitate said evacuation. Biden will take the bullets on this one but he's the first president to actually do the right thing.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Can someone who is slightly older than myself give me a quick summary of the Afghan mujahideen that met with Reagan in the White House in 1983... and explain to me why it was good for the US to get involved in backing the Afghani Freedom Fighters who turned into the Taliban?

What if we had just let the Soviet Union over exert itself quicker in the region?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
        Pre-1991 the biggest danger everyone was communism and we would support whoever was fighting the communists as long as they weren't communist. Post-1991 the biggest danger everyone is Islamic fundamentalists and we will support whoever is fighting the fundamentalists as long as they aren't fundamentalists or at the very least will pay us for weapons.

The hope is, if we do this enough times then western-style democracies will appear magically overnight in all of these places. https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/25a...7-06937678fa31

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
          Biden will take the bullets on this one but he's the first president to actually do the right thing.
          Q Rabble: END THE EMPIRE!!!

(Biden ends the Empire)

Q Rabble: NOT LIKE THAT!!!
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            China is going to be an economic and political lifeline for the Taliban. Forget opium poppies, China is going to setup shop to extract minerals and as long as the Taliban can provide them with stability everyone will be happy. The Taliban will get money and "legitimacy" by working with a superpower. China will lock up an enormous supply of mineral wealth. Ghazni province showed the potential for lithium deposits that could rival Bolivia, which currently has the world’s largest known lithium reserves.
            You really think the Chinese want a radical fundamentalist Islamic state on their border with the Uighurs? You really think the Russians want a radical fundamentalist Islamic state on the border with their Near Abroad client states?

Uh huh, sure.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

This is typically how things always work out for America post World War II. We should have hung up are warmongering while we were ahead.
              To be fair, we've been raping Central America with impunity since the Monroe Doctrine, extracted all their wealth, hardly getting our hair mussed.

Our imperialism goes back to the first war against the Barbary pirates in 1801. We were born of this. It is inseparable from American identity.

All empires are the same.
              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

You really think the Chinese want a radical fundamentalist Islamic state on their border with the Uighurs? You really think the Russians want a radical fundamentalist Islamic state on the border with their Near Abroad client states?

Uh huh, sure.
                They want minerals. That's all that matters to them.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Uh huh, sure.
                  Aren't the Uighurs are all in concentration camps, I mean reeducation centers?

Comment

• Every non-Han in China is looking for a liberation movement.

And even if China winds up with a stable Silk Road commercial relationship with whatever is left of Afghanistan as it crumbles, fine by me. We don't own Central Asia. We don't own their wealth. And we haven't done a lick of good with our imperialism.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Every non-Han in China is looking for a liberation movement.

And even if China winds up with a stable Silk Road commercial relationship with whatever is left of Afghanistan as it crumbles, fine by me. We don't own Central Asia. We don't own their wealth. And we haven't done a lick of good with our imperialism.
                      I haven't heard Guam or the Virgin Islands screaming for their freedom lately.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Uh huh, sure.
                        Didn't Moscow host a Taliban delegation in Moscow recently? And I'm pretty sure they did just say that they'll be meeting at the Russian embassy this week. Ditto with China at their embassy.

No, I think you're wrong on this Kep. Unlike us, China and Russia won't have any problem just carpet bombing them into submission. We use targeted strikes and at least try to avoid civilian casualties. Russia doesn't give a single ****. They were openly using barrel bombs (or whatever they were called) in Syria and do you remember any repercussions? Remember the sanctions on China for their genocide of the Uighurs? Me neither.

China and Russia are going to absolutely partner with the Taliban and they won't care one bit about human rights violations. They'll let the Taliban do whatever they damn please in exchange for resources. Both sides get exactly what they want.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Every non-Han in China is looking for a liberation movement.

Imperialism isn't about "good". It's about resources and power. When you start adding "good" to the equation is when you lose your power.

Kinda sucks when you can't buy batteries because China has decided to **** with you.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I haven't heard Guam or the Virgin Islands screaming for their freedom lately.
                            That is cause they are territories. We were an occupying force in Afghanistan.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Didn't Moscow host a Taliban delegation in Moscow recently? And I'm pretty sure they did just say that they'll be meeting at the Russian embassy this week. Ditto with China at their embassy.

No, I think you're wrong on this Kep. Unlike us, China and Russia won't have any problem just carpet bombing them into submission. We use targeted strikes and at least try to avoid civilian casualties. Russia doesn't give a single ****. They were openly using barrel bombs (or whatever they were called) in Syria and do you remember any repercussions? Remember the sanctions on China for their genocide of the Uighurs? Me neither.

China and Russia are going to absolutely partner with the Taliban and they won't care one bit about human rights violations. They'll let the Taliban do whatever they damn please in exchange for resources. Both sides get exactly what they want.
                              It depends...it is never that simplistic for very long. And we are talking about Big Egos that sooner or later will need a war to justify certain actions. Putin might carpet bomb them but he will need more than that if the Taliban turns on him. (which they will) He will put boots on the ground...

China is such an odd duck I am not sure what they will do.

The US is not the only actor watching this either...who knows how this plays out.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

It depends...it is never that simplistic for very long. And we are talking about Big Egos that sooner or later will need a war to justify certain actions. Putin might carpet bomb them but he will need more than that if the Taliban turns on him. (which they will) He will put boots on the ground...

China is such an odd duck I am not sure what they will do.

The US is not the only actor watching this either...who knows how this plays out.
                                China will do whatever the spreadsheets tell them to do.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X