Job search procedure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job search procedure question

My current job is a one-year clerkship with a state court. The judges I work for have already told me to start looking for employment for next year, the sooner the better. In essence, nothing I say here will tick off my current employer.

Anyway, on Monday I received an e-mail from a potential future employer saying they would like to interview me and asking me what days/times would be convenient for me. Seeing as this is pretty much the #1 job I was gunning for for next year anyway, I responded that afternoon saying basically that whatever time works for them would likely work for me. (which is true, the main judge I work for flat out told me to take unpaid time off to go to this interview if I don't have vacation time built up yet.)

Anyway, I haven't heard anything since.

I know it's more pressing to me than to the employer, since I'm sure I'm not the only person they've contacted. But how long do I need to wait before following-up, asking if they got my first e-mail and/or when they would like me to come out for an interview? I don't want to seem pushy, but I also don't want to miss out because of a technical or human error.

Frankly, I don't think I'd be as concerned if the initial contact hadn't been by e-mail. Use of e-mail implies, to me anyway, they wanted to move fairly quickly. I'm probably being paranoid, but like I said, it's a job I would take without even thinking, so the fact they even want an interview made my day. Having not heard anything in the 72 hours since is killing me.
    Last edited by unofan; 09-03-2009, 09:41 AM.

Re: Job search procedure question

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    My current job is a one-year clerkship with a state court. The judges I work for have already told me to start looking for employment for next year, the sooner the better. In essence, nothing I say here will tick off my current employer.

Anyway, on Monday I received an e-mail from a potential future employer saying they would like to interview me and asking me what days/times would be convenient for me. Seeing as this is pretty much the #1 job I was gunning for for next year anyway, I responded that afternoon saying basically that whatever time works for them would likely work for me. (which is true, the main judge I work for flat out told me to take unpaid time off to go to this interview if I don't have vacation time built up yet.)

Anyway, I haven't heard anything since.

I know it's more pressing to me than to the employer, since I'm sure I'm not the only person they've contacted. But how long do I need to wait before following-up, asking if they got my first e-mail and/or when they would like me to come out for an interview? I don't want to seem pushy, but I also don't want to miss out because of a technical or human error.

Frankly, I don't think I'd be as concerned if the initial contact hadn't been by e-mail. Use of e-mail implies, to me anyway, they wanted to move fairly quickly. I'm probably being paranoid, but like I said, it's a job I would take without even thinking, so the fact they even want an interview made my day. Having not heard anything in the 72 hours since is killing me.
    Before I even got to the end of your message, I was thinking "3 days." I'd hit 'em again. They will understand that the job is more important to you than to them, and 3 days is plenty of time to answer an email - all you need is just a simple "thank you, we got your message." I pretty much figure that if an email hasn't been answered in 3 days, it will never be answered.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I would say 2-3 days. Given that you've stated its been 72 hours, contact them again.
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

It never hurts to pick up the phone and call the recruiting manager, hiring partner, etc. Email's nice, but a personal touch never hurts in the current environment. Everyone is busy, especially with a long weekend coming, so a call may be answered before an email that can get buried under other matters.
        "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
          It never hurts to pick up the phone and call the recruiting manager, hiring partner, etc. Email's nice, but a personal touch never hurts in the current environment. Everyone is busy, especially with a long weekend coming, so a call may be answered before an email that can get buried under other matters.
          Bingo. I would follow up with a phone call. No point in waiting around after the 2 day waiting period. Give a call on day 3 and find out where you stand. There's no downside to doing that, and it might win you a few points for being proactive and for actually talking to a live person while others are resending e-mails.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Most importantly, suggest a day/time for the interview when you call back.
            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
            2006 Time Person of the Year
            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
              Most importantly, suggest a day/time for the interview when you call back.
              Bingo. Use the phone, it's surprising how big of a difference it actually makes!
              Originally posted by solovsfett
              To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
              You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

Mike: So how long do I wait to call?
                Trent: A day.
                Mike: Tomorrow.
                Sue: Tomorrow, then a day.
                Trent: Yeah.
                Mike: So two days?
                Trent: Yeah, I guess you could call it that, two days.
                Sue: Definitely, two days is like industry standard.
                Trent: You know I used to wait two days to call anybody, but now it's like everyone in town waits two days. So I think three days is kind of money. What do you think?
                Sue: Yeah, but two's enough not to look anxious.
                Trent: Yeah, two's enough not to look anxious. But I think three days is kind of money. You know because you...
                Mike: Yeah, but you know what, mabey I'll wait 3 weeks. How's that? And tell her I was cleaning out my wallet and I just happened to run into her number.
                Charles: Then ask her where you met her.
                Mike: Yeah, I'll ask her where I met her. I don't remember. What does she look like? And then I'll asked if we ****ed. Is that... would that be... T, would that be the money?
                Trent: You know what. Ha ha ha Mike, laugh all you want but if you call too soon you might scare off a nice baby who's ready to party.
                Mike: Well how long are you guys gonna wait to call your babies?
                Trent, Sue: Six days.

Honestly? Call now. 3 days is the max, IMO, given today's market/economy/hiring environment.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Use of e-mail implies, to me anyway, they wanted to move fairly quickly.
                  Time is subjective, especially between employers and employees.

"Fairly quickly" to someone looking to get hired means a week or two, maybe a month or so. But to the guy hiring, it means by the end of the year.
                  No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X