Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of the Day

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question of the Day

    Or, almost every day.

    This thread will be for random, simple questions I have about stuff. Some stuff I should probably know, or could Google. But I want to hear your responses. Sometimes it will be stuff I am actually looking for answers on, sometimes it will be to ask opinions. And I encourage others to ask questions as well. So let's start!

    Is there a difference between an autobiography and a memoir?

  • #2
    Your autobiography is your story of your life. Your memoir is what you thought about other people's lives.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

    Comment


    • #3
      Today's question:

      Do you throw eggshells in the garbage disposal or in the trash? I used to throw down the garbage disposal but after replacing my disposal for the third time, the plumber told me I should throw in the trash. Along with peels from cucumbers and potatoes as those are both starch and would tend to clog things up.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Today's question:

        Do you throw eggshells in the garbage disposal or in the trash? I used to throw down the garbage disposal but after replacing my disposal for the third time, the plumber told me I should throw in the trash. Along with peels from cucumbers and potatoes as those are both starch and would tend to clog things up.
        Interesting. We've always thrown eggshells in the disposal (the same with cucumber peels and potatoes too).
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Today's question:

          Do you throw eggshells in the garbage disposal or in the trash? I used to throw down the garbage disposal but after replacing my disposal for the third time, the plumber told me I should throw in the trash. Along with peels from cucumbers and potatoes as those are both starch and would tend to clog things up.
          I've always thrown all of those things in the garbage due to the reasons your plumbers have stated. Also, most people don't really operate their disposals correctly anyway, so it probably tends to gum up the works even more. Instruction manuals for those devices say you're supposed to run cold water first, turn on the disposal, then slowly add food. When you're done, your disposal is supposed to run for another 15 seconds after that, and then the cold water continues for another 15 seconds. Most people simply don't know or can't be bothered. I wish I had one these days.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

          "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

          "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

            I've always thrown all of those things in the garbage due to the reasons your plumbers have stated. Also, most people don't really operate their disposals correctly anyway, so it probably tends to gum up the works even more. Instruction manuals for those devices say you're supposed to run cold water first, turn on the disposal, then slowly add food. When you're done, your disposal is supposed to run for another 15 seconds after that, and then the cold water continues for another 15 seconds. Most people simply don't know or can't be bothered. I wish I had one these days.
            That's interesting. I will start doing that. I do run cold water when I do run it and I also do let it run for a few seconds when stuff has been, well, disposed. But I will do it for longer. Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Today's question:

              Do you throw eggshells in the garbage disposal or in the trash? I used to throw down the garbage disposal but after replacing my disposal for the third time, the plumber told me I should throw in the trash. Along with peels from cucumbers and potatoes as those are both starch and would tend to clog things up.
              Egg shells -- trash. But I didn't know about the peels so now I will start doing them too.

              I have also had problems with garbage disposals so now I know. Big Disposal has evidently kept this hushed up for years, so watch your back.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Also, most people don't really operate their disposals correctly anyway, so it probably tends to gum up the works even more. Instruction manuals for those devices say you're supposed to run cold water first, turn on the disposal, then slowly add food. When you're done, your disposal is supposed to run for another 15 seconds after that, and then the cold water continues for another 15 seconds. Most people simply don't know or can't be bothered.
                I didn't know. The only thing I never do is run the disposal dry. Because running water is like transmission fluid! \_(ツ)_/
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                  I didn't know. I have always run water (didn't know it had to be cold) while operating the disposal. The one thing I never do is run the disposal dry. You know, like transmission fluid! \_(ツ)_/
                  I only learned it after having the first disposal in my prior house burnout after something like 3 years of use. I went to replace and talked to a guy at the store. He said it happens all the time, and told me to read the operating instructions. I did, and it was really eye opening. The second unit still broke, but that was a mechanical issue. The next one, however, that one was a champ. Waste King, 3/4HP magnetic drive. It would chew through anything, and was a breeze to install.

                  Pretty much any advice I have to give regarding household or automobile maintenance I learned by first doing it wrong and being informed by somebody smarter.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                  "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                  "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That's not just houses or cars. "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

                    Completely not sequitur, but another one related to judgement that I like is, "A superior sailor is one who uses his superior judgement to AVOID having to use his superior skills." That one applies to a lot more than sailing, too.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      "A superior sailor is one who uses his superior judgement to AVOID having to use his superior skills." That one applies to a lot more than sailing, too.
                      My engineer dad quoted this to me the first day we sailed his blue jay.

                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        That's not just houses or cars. "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

                        Completely not sequitur, but another one related to judgement that I like is, "A superior sailor is one who uses his superior judgement to AVOID having to use his superior skills." That one applies to a lot more than sailing, too.
                        UND had that quote with the word pilot substituted for sailor hanging up in Flight Ops while I was there...
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

                        Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

                        Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

                        Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Today's question:

                          When you guys play either PowerBall or MegaMillions (assuming you do), do you pick your own numbers or do a quick pick? I'm always torn on that. The jackpots are super high this week so I definitely want to get some tickets.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I pick my own.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Today's question:

                              When you guys play either PowerBall or MegaMillions (assuming you do), do you pick your own numbers or do a quick pick? I'm always torn on that. The jackpots are super high this week so I definitely want to get some tickets.
                              Auto-pick. I have a hard enough time picking my nose in a timely manner.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                              "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                              "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X