Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://twitter.com/StacyStClair/sta...59365860368386

In 2019, there were more than 26,000 Illinois residents deemed too dangerous to own a gun.

Then the Pratt shooting happened and the FOID enforcement flaws were exposed.

Nothing changed. In fact, it got worse.

By 2020, the number had grown to over 30,000 - a 15% increase.
    Illinois has the FOID system (Firearm Owner ID), where all Illinois residents, if they wish to legally purchase guns and ammo, must register for (you know, the well regulated part). This allows the Illinois State Police to perform a background check and approve/deny you.

Problem is, the 2A nuts want the FOID gone, and have hamstrung the department financially by limiting the budget. And when the ISP raised the fee to register foe the *ten* year card, 2A nuts went apesh** over the *$10* fee. (Yes, it's a dollar per year.)

On top of the initial issues, the FOID system is only as good as the information that goes into it. If other departments within AND outside Illinois (or even the ISP itself) doesn't port data into the FOID system, it's been hamstrung from finding red flag data itself.

The backlog for the FOID, which is capped at 30 days before you're automatically approved with a shrug, was bad pre-pandemic thanks to finance issues causing short staff and searches to be limited, and has only gotten worse thanks to the shutdown of the pandemic.

And finally, on the issue in the above Tweet, the ISP may know of red flags triggered by the FOID system after someone has legally obtained the FOID, but the revocation of the FOID and/or firearms in possession is handed off to the local police/sheriff department. ISP, who oversees the goddammed system, isn't allowed to act upon it themselves.

The FOID system is a good start (again, well regulated), it's not great, and it definitely needs to be fixed, but the 2A nuts singlehandedly neutered it because they're (rightfully) concerned their own actions will cause themselves to lose the ability to own/purchase guns.
    Last edited by aparch; 07-06-2022, 07:51 AM.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Jesus goddamn ****ing christ

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/sta...eEqJEyyZWD2evg

You want to cry? Click that link.

America.

(DGF probably already posted it.)
      Haha, I hadn’t. I’d read that hours earlier, amine with the girl who had to leave her mom behind as she was dead but her kid had to keep running. Too depressing

Comment

• According to fox, women and their nagging and weed are to blame for men committing masa shootings.

maybe men shouldn’t be so emotional after getting nagged?

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Illinois has the FOID system (Firearm Owner ID), where all Illinois residents, if they wish to legally purchase guns and ammo, must register for (you know, the well regulated part). This allows the Illinois State Police to perform a background check and approve/deny you.
          Why are they trying to manage their own system? Why not just use NICS?
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Listen buddy, when we said originalist, we didn't mean, like, that original: https://twitter.com/SeanCasten/statu...12189967896579

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

It's a layer above and beyond that one. NICS is also performed for each firearm sale despite having a FOID.

As for if a NICS check is performed during the FOID process, I am unfamilar with that.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Also, the Illinois FOID system was created in 1968.

NICS was a result of the Brady Bill, and wasn't created until 1993.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Jesus goddamn ****ing christ

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/sta...eEqJEyyZWD2evg

You want to cry? Click that link.

America.

(DGF probably already posted it.)
                  The baby wasn't aborted so why would they care?
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    https://twitter.com/StacyStClair/sta...59365860368386

Problem is, the 2A nuts want the FOID gone, and have hamstrung the department financially by limiting the budget. And when the ISP raised the fee to register foe the *ten* year card, 2A nuts went apesh** over the *$10* fee. (Yes, it's a dollar per year.)

On top of the initial issues, the FOID system is only as good as the information that goes into it. If other departments within AND outside Illinois (or even the ISP itself) doesn't port data into the FOID system, it's been hamstrung from finding red flag data itself.

The backlog for the FOID, which is capped at 30 days before you're automatically approved with a shrug, was bad pre-pandemic thanks to finance issues causing short staff and searches to be limited, and has only gotten worse thanks to the shutdown of the pandemic.

And finally, on the issue in the above Tweet, the ISP may know of red flags triggered by the FOID system after someone has legally obtained the FOID, but the revocation of the FOID and/or firearms in possession is handed off to the local police/sheriff department. ISP, who oversees the goddammed system, isn't allowed to act upon it themselves.

The FOID system is a good start (again, well regulated), it's not great, and it definitely needs to be fixed, but the 2A nuts singlehandedly neutered it because they're (rightfully) concerned their own actions will cause themselves to lose the ability to own/purchase guns.
                    Does this also deal with guns purchased in states that have more lax laws? If this kid bought his guns in Indiana or Wisconsin how does the FOID deal with that?
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Does this also deal with guns purchased in states that have more lax laws? If this kid bought his guns in Indiana or Wisconsin how does the FOID deal with that?
                      And this is a huge problem in urban Chicago. A lot of their guns were purchased in Indiana and then "stolen" and wind up in Chicago.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

And this is a huge problem in urban Chicago. A lot of their guns were purchased in Indiana and then "stolen" and wind up in Chicago.
                        I actually saw an argument on Twitter that guns can't be coming from Indiana because only Indiana residents can get guns in the state.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post

I actually saw an argument on Twitter that guns can't be coming from Indiana because only Indiana residents can get guns in the state.
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Kinda.

https://www.alphakoncepts.com/blog/c...another-state/

As an Illinois resident, I can go to a neighboring state (IN, WI, MO, KY, IA), and purchase a rifle or shotgun (and ammo for said weapon), wait the three days (or you're supposed to), and take it home. Most places will want a copy of your FOID for their records. I online purchased ammo from North Carolina during the pandemic shortage, and they obliged as long as I emailed them a copy of my FOID.

Handguns purchased out of state must be transferred from an FFL in the state purchased to an FFL in Illinois, and then retrieved in Illinois.

Gangbangers with stolen handguns are likely guns (and or ammo) purchased in Indiana (or elsewhere) legally, "lost," transferred across state lines and delivered to gangbangers.

Of note, there is no federal waiting period. Each state has their own rules (states rights!). It can take the FBI up to three days to perform a background check with NICS, but the seller doesn't actually need to do one.

And.... despite Illinois being pointed out as having "the most stringent gun laws in the US, and they still don't work," Illinois laws are very lackadaisical compared to California, Washington DC, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-l...ck-procedures/
                            Last edited by aparch; 07-06-2022, 11:47 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Who knew Scooby had to become a Dutch farmer to fulfill his dream.

https://twitter.com/TheRealKeean/sta...65282957189120
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Is it weird for American conservatives to see a successful trucker protest that isn't a very very thinly disguised grift?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X