Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cramer sounds like our resident cons

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status...qgLy9ee8EhoiuA

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
      You realize those laws are being, or have already been, passed in those states, right? Can you at least acknowledge that? There’s a reason Massachusetts has a lower gun death date than Texas. Or New York. Or California. Your snark about California’s strict gun laws not stopping a California shooter last year aside, their stronger laws work. Not as strong as a gun ban, but they work.
      Great. Solve your state's problems first and stop trying to figure out how to solve some other state's problems. I have no intention of living in Texas. I don't even have any plans to visit. If they want to have a state that is dangerous, with crappy roads, terrible schools and poor water, they can live there.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Great. Solve your state's problems first and stop trying to figure out how to solve some other state's problems. I have no intention of living in Texas. I don't even have any plans to visit. If they want to have a state that is dangerous, with crappy roads, terrible schools and poor water, they can live there.
        Ah yes, the time-tested conservative viewpoint of "I've got mine, **** everyone else."

I get that Republicans pretend to love state's rights when it suits their narrative, but what happened to "one nation, under God"?

Children and those voters who can't afford to move to another state will be glad to know you don't give a **** about them. But, alas, they just need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps.

Comment

You also said you fear this bill will do more harm than good, and listed one of the reasons as people considering voting Democrat in the midterms or for POTUS may stick with the GOP or not vote at all, based on the potential of this bill passing. I disagree with both of those premises. That all said, there’s a long way to go between the framework of a bill and the actual passage of a bill. We’re both in agreement on that.
          To be clear I stated I fear it would do more harm than good, for the reasons I stated. But I'm wrong a lot and maybe instead it will do no harm and not enough good, or no harm and measurable good. We'll see if it passes, and then we will see. Admittedly I spout things in absolutely absolutist terms most of the time, a clear flaw of mine.

Comment

Careful, you’re starting to sound like Sicatoka with your “states’ rights” spiel. I’ll accept this paragraph as your tacit acknowledgment that the states who have enacted gun reform, and continue to do so, are seeing better results than the ones that don’t. So your whole “Quit whining and do something about it” is again, well, disingenuous. If your argument is somehow “Get it done at the federal level”, well, I’ll wait for you to untwist yourself before we continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

To be clear I stated I fear it would do more harm than good, for the reasons I stated. But I'm wrong a lot and maybe instead it will do no harm and not enough good, or no harm and measurable good. We'll see if it passes, and then we will see. Admittedly I spout things in absolutely absolutist terms most of the time, a clear flaw of mine.
              It’s all good in the ‘hood. At the end of the day, we’re on the same side.

Comment

Careful, you’re starting to sound like Sicatoka with your “states’ rights” spiel. I’ll accept this paragraph as your tacit acknowledgment that the states who have enacted gun reform, and continue to do so, are seeing better results than the ones that don’t. So your whole “Quit whining and do something about it” is again, well, disingenuous. If your argument is somehow “Get it done at the federal level”, well, I’ll wait for you to untwist yourself before we continue.
                There is nothing disingenuous about it, and it has nothing to do with "states rights" issues. I think you struggle sometimes to read and understand my posts.

It is, and always will be, much simpler to adopt legislative change at a local level. That has to do with whether you are doing it at a township, city, county or state level, as opposed to nationwide at the federal level. For example, many employment law changes start in the state of California, and after years or even decades they make their way across the country in various forms.

Yes, there are states that have adopted stricter gun laws than other states. Has that had an effect? Sure, maybe marginally. But no state has had more mass shootings this year than California, so while on a "per capita" basis they might be better off than some other states, they haven't exactly solved the problem.

But one of my main points was this. Why are they resting on their laurels, patting themselves on the back for having the "strictest" gun control in the US, while 20 mass shootings occur in the first six months of the year in their state?

Andy why are you wasting time at the federal level trying to get real change accomplished? When Roe v. Wade was decided 50 years ago, did opponents of abortion spend the next 50 years trying to get Congress to abolish abortion? No. That would have been a complete waste of time.

Instead, they got laws passed in places like Texas and Mississippi and other states demanding parental notice, demanding a waiting period, etc... And every time they got another restriction passed, whether it was ultimately upheld or not, they went right back to work and adopted even more restrictions, or different restrictions. Never stopped.

I don't give a rats azz whether California passed gun legislation in 2017 to restrict certain types of guns, or add a waiting period, or raise the eligible age for owning a gun. Unless they were back at it in 2018, 2019, 2020, etc..., they've sat around patting themselves on the back as you guys run around crying "do something."
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

There is nothing disingenuous about it, and it has nothing to do with "states rights" issues. I think you struggle sometimes to read and understand my posts.

It is, and always will be, much simpler to adopt legislative change at a local level. That has to do with whether you are doing it at a township, city, county or state level, as opposed to nationwide at the federal level. For example, many employment law changes start in the state of California, and after years or even decades they make their way across the country in various forms.

Yes, there are states that have adopted stricter gun laws than other states. Has that had an effect? Sure, maybe marginally. But no state has had more mass shootings this year than California, so while on a "per capita" basis they might be better off than some other states, they haven't exactly solved the problem.

But one of my main points was this. Why are they resting on their laurels, patting themselves on the back for having the "strictest" gun control in the US, while 20 mass shootings occur in the first six months of the year in their state?

Andy why are you wasting time at the federal level trying to get real change accomplished? When Roe v. Wade was decided 50 years ago, did opponents of abortion spend the next 50 years trying to get Congress to abolish abortion? No. That would have been a complete waste of time.

Instead, they got laws passed in places like Texas and Mississippi and other states demanding parental notice, demanding a waiting period, etc... And every time they got another restriction passed, whether it was ultimately upheld or not, they went right back to work and adopted even more restrictions, or different restrictions. Never stopped.

I don't give a rats azz whether California passed gun legislation in 2017 to restrict certain types of guns, or add a waiting period, or raise the eligible age for owning a gun. Unless they were back at it in 2018, 2019, 2020, etc..., they've sat around patting themselves on the back as you guys run around crying "do something."
                  I understand your posts just fine. Your mantra of “back-patting is worse than restricting rights” is never more evident in your post. Or your privilege. Thousands, if not millions, of people living in Texas, Mississippi, etc., may not choose to live there, but can’t afford to move for whatever reason. Waiting for California’s laws, or New York’s laws, or Connecticut’s laws to maybe, just maybe, trickle over won’t work for many of them. And those states are passing laws as efficiently as Republican states. You know this. Federal change takes care of those people, like ACA expansion in states that otherwise wouldn’t have ratified it. You mocked ACA expansion, but it works. Maybe not as well as other types of healthcare or systems, no, but it works. It seems to me that it comes down to you think states should be allowed to choose what’s best for their state without federal intervention (“states’ rights”). If states adopt each other’s rights, great. If not, thank God I have the privilege of not living there (or have the means to move). Yes, yes, I understand your posts just fine.

Edit: To clarify, I recognize states have the ability to opt into the ACA expansion. The incentive was the 90-100% paid for by the federal govt., so not entirely “This is what you must do” from the federal govt., but a nice incentive that works on both ends.

Comment

• LOL

California or New York passing stricter gun laws is worthless when all the guns used illegally in their state come from states that have lax gun laws.

But, hey, State's rights. Cause we all know the borders on the States are as tight as the border between Mexico and the US.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      LOL

California or New York passing stricter gun laws is worthless when all the guns used illegally in their state come from states that have lax gun laws.

But, hey, State's rights. Cause we all know the borders on the States are as tight as the border between Mexico and the US.
                      The point Hovey is trying to make is that states kept passing anti abortion laws to keep doing away at it. Which he's not wrong about from a technical stand point.

What he's missing is that the court has been majority conservative the entire time and receptive to such arguments, even if they kept things narrow to this point. Doing the same thing from the other side when facing a 6-3 majority against is just asking the court to dig in further and further.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

The point Hovey is trying to make is that states kept passing anti abortion laws to keep doing away at it. Which he's not wrong about from a technical stand point.

What he's missing is that the court has been majority conservative the entire time and receptive to such arguments, even if they kept things narrow to this point. Doing the same thing from the other side when facing a 6-3 majority against is just asking the court to dig in further and further.
                        Ok. Great argument. Doesn't do anything. Doesn't fix anything. We going to try and do that over the next 50 years like they had to with Abortion while 5 year olds are shot up with AR-15's all over the country? Good plan. Guns are the number one killer of children. If this were a virus at #1 it would be all hands on deck. Instead, we need to follow the State's Rights 50 year plan. Awesome.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

I’m aware of his point. Your second paragraph will be met with a “quit whining”, or “you have a trifecta in Washington- do something” so I didn’t bother spilling the ink.

Comment

Your second paragraph will be met with a “quit whining”, or “you have a trifecta in Washington- do something” so I didn’t bother spilling the ink.
                            Yeah, that's two of my faves. It's like when Manchin takes over legislation so it can get passed and Susan Collins doesn't even vote for it.

Comment

. If this were a virus at #1 it would be all hands on deck. Instead, we need to follow the State's Rights 50 year plan. Awesome.
                              Ummm, no. Have you been asleep the past two years?

What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

If this were a virus at #1 it would be all hands on deck.
                                You're giving RWNJs far too much credit there Scoob. I don't seem to recall them being part of an all hands on deck response to the last virus that was killing more people than anything else in this country.

Comment

Working...
                                X