Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Why the school did their job. They had no way of knowing the kid had an illegal fire arm on him.

Even if the parents do somehow not go to jail for this they will be sued into their next life.
    I would guess that the argument against the school is going to go this way. You have at least two teachers who are concerned enough about the threat this kid posed to alert the school (in hindsight, an excellent assessment by those teachers), and a school that is at least concerned enough about the threat that it calls in the kid's parents (in hindsight, another excellent assessment).

The problem, though, is this. If you are a school, you can't just leave it up to the parents to handle. You have to make your own independent assessment of the risk to the rest of your students and the staff (in hindsight, not that great of an assessment).

That, coupled with the school having the deep pockets in this group, is why I think they'll be targeted. Not saying it's necessarily right that the school be held accountable. I don't know precisely what they did or didn't know. But they are certainly going to be a target for the victim's lawyers.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• This seems like a very odd case compared to the other school shootings. Woman on CNN made the point last night that it’s strange so many different things happened in the few days leading up to the event. I kind of suspect something happened at the school that hasn’t come out yet.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Yep which is why the prosecutor believes they can charge the parents. Apparently the law says that for parents to be culpable they have to have known it was a dangerous situation and the school made it clear threats were made. Plus the ****ing terrorist made comments on social media while brandishing the gun if I read right.

This is like a Law and Order episode from the 1990s (literally there was one that was almost exactly this) it is so ridiculous. I mean the stupidity of all this is Trump Legal Team levels of stupid.

edit" Would You Like To Know More
        omfg
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Why the school did their job. They had no way of knowing the kid had an illegal fire arm on him.

Even if the parents do somehow not go to jail for this they will be sued into their next life.
          They didn't call the sheriff. That's one key issue that reporters keep bringing up. Especially with all of the work the Oakland County sheriff and the state police are doing now just for empty threats. This was real, they had a system, and it's a good question why the sheriff was not called about the threats. They were so bad that kids stayed home from school.

Comment

The school warning the parents that morning and them ignoring it is going to be the smoking gun.

The key now is to not take the bait and turn this into a referendum on Trump. Leave politics out of this.
            As I see it, especially since dumpers have already taken this up- they will be the ones turning this into a right wing referendum. Given that kids died, and a lot of kids/parents are terrified to send their kids to school, this does not seem like a winning agenda to go down. Oakland is pretty R, but the irrationality of justifying the murdering of kids for the sake of the 2nd amendment seems pretty risky.

But as MT has posted, this is already showing up in campaigns. For dumpies. Before the kids were even buried.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

As I see it, especially since dumpers have already taken this up- they will be the ones turning this into a right wing referendum. Given that kids died, and a lot of kids/parents are terrified to send their kids to school, this does not seem like a winning agenda to go down. Oakland is pretty R, but the irrationality of justifying the murdering of kids for the sake of the 2nd amendment seems pretty risky.

But as MT has posted, this is already showing up in campaigns. For dumpies. Before the kids were even buried.
              Oh, they'll justify it. But, it does not matter in the long run. 50 years from now there will be no public schools in the United States. Assuming we're still called that then.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Oakland County has a slight R lean. Macomb is "pretty R".

Comment

They didn't call the sheriff. That's one key issue that reporters keep bringing up. Especially with all of the work the Oakland County sheriff and the state police are doing now just for empty threats. This was real, they had a system, and it's a good question why the sheriff was not called about the threats. They were so bad that kids stayed home from school.
                  I think the solution here is like it is with other mandatory reporting instances. Sure, bring the parents in, but just call the police any time threats are made. The consequences are to severe not to.
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

I am not talking about campaigns, I am talking in the trial. Of course the Trumpers are going to run on this they ****ing circle jerk over this stuff.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

I think the solution here is like it is with other mandatory reporting instances. Sure, bring the parents in, but just call the police any time threats are made. The consequences are to severe not to.
                      That is great in theory...in practice you are going to see the cops are present at schools way too much. You don't prevent these actions by turning the school into a defacto prison.

My girlfriend used to work with the kids thrown out of school for threats, or weapons and other such things. I know this happens way too often and there is no one size fits all way to make it work.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Oh, they'll justify it. But, it does not matter in the long run. 50 years from now there will be no public schools in the United States. Assuming we're still called that then.
                        Stop it with that crap. You're helping them.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That is great in theory...in practice you are going to see the cops are present at schools way too much. You don't prevent these actions by turning the school into a defacto prison.

My girlfriend used to work with the kids thrown out of school for threats, or weapons and other such things. I know this happens way too often and there is no one size fits all way to make it work.
                          If you bring a gun to school you are insane. You should be removed from school and put under psychiatric care. You should also probably be removed from your home because your parents are unfit. At minimum they should undergo counseling and oversight for years.

It would be okay if they were just killing each other, but they could be killing worthwhile people, and that has to stop.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 12-03-2021, 11:48 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

If you bring a gun to school you are insane. You should be removed from school and put under psychiatric care. You should also probably be removed from your home because your parents are unfit. At thr least they should undergo counseling and oversight for years.

it would be okay if they were just killing each other, but they could be killing worthwhile people, and that has to stop.
                            I agree. We have zero funding for that. We need a mental health moonshot in this country 40 years ago and it never happened.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Parents charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

maybe mommy can write another letter to trump

Comment

I certainly defer to your girlfriend's expertise, and everything has unintended consequences.
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X