Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

What law(s) did he break to have his guns legally taken from him? Be specific.

If you can't identify one, then the fact that Maine police can and have taken guns away from people is irrelevant. Until he breaks a law which takes away his 2nd amendment rights, the police can do nothing.

You keep voting to keep those laws pretty hard to meet. So all of the dead people appreciate all of your voting over the decades.
    In Maine you don’t have to break a law to have your guns taken away from you.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I don’t think you understand Maine’s laws. Police can and have taken guns away from people. I suspect the issue here was when they tried to contact him in September the brother knew he was uneasy and didn’t want the police to create some type of standoff situation(police shoot people all the time in Maine so it would be a rational fear for the family to have) so told them he would take care of it. For the family it’s obviously kind of an impossible situation to be in. The police shouldn’t have let it go.
    What law(s) did he break to have his guns legally taken from him? Be specific.

If you can't identify one, then the fact that Maine police can and have taken guns away from people is irrelevant. Until he breaks a law which takes away his 2nd amendment rights, the police can do nothing.

You keep voting to keep those laws pretty hard to meet. So all of the dead people appreciate all of your voting over the decades.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    https://www.threads.net/@cnn/post/Cz...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

A man armed with guns and explosive devices was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound at a Colorado amusement park, potentially averting "an attack of devastating proportions," officials said.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I don’t think you understand Maine’s laws. Police can and have taken guns away from people. I suspect the issue here was when they tried to contact him in September the brother knew he was uneasy and didn’t want the police to create some type of standoff situation(police shoot people all the time in Maine so it would be a rational fear for the family to have) so told them he would take care of it. For the family it’s obviously kind of an impossible situation to be in. The police shouldn’t have let it go.
    Oh, so now you're in favor of police taking guns away from people?

Or isd it only certain people, in certain situations, after you know they've already killed a couple dozen people?

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    . So if she really wants to come back early I won't stop her, but I'll keep reminding her that if she realizes on day 1 or day 8 that it was too soon, that's ok too.
    That's the right path. Only she knows what's best for her, and I can imagine that in some ways, just being back in her normal work routine might be good for her. Occupies her mind with other things, keeps her busy. I can't imagine what it would be like sitting home, doing nothing, except reliving those events and wallowing in sadness.

But, if it does get to be too much, she has to know that she can bail if she gets overwhelmed. And make sure she has help and support available to her.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    If the law doesn't allow the police to disarm someone, what are they to do?
    Even in places where red flag laws exist, you've got MAGA sheriffs publicly stating, "My department won't be enforcing this unconstitutional law!111!!!1!" (*blow raspberry*) effectively practicing nullification at the local level.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    There is a lot of talk of this guy having some sort of mental health issue but I wonder if maybe he had some kind of physical health issue? Could he have had something like CTE and that is what caused his issues?

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

This is the important part.

Tell everyone you can, and they have no power to do a darned thing that matters.

Can't apprehend the person for being crazy and having a gun- that's not illegal. Can't trail a person just because they are that. Can't search them, too- remember, it's not illegal to have a gun.

And how do you define what mentally unstable even is? Who decides?

I get the thinking, but as the rules are defined, the perp didn't do anything legally wrong until he pulled the trigger the first time.

So no matter what we think should have been done, the only way to prevent so many deaths was to eliminate the number of rounds that got off- either by banning guns, restricting access to guns, restrict magazine size, etc...

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Not to mention the police force wont pay for it the town will...so the taxpayers. You know...the victims.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    This is the important part.

Tell everyone you can, and they have no power to do a darned thing that matters.

Can't apprehend the person for being crazy and having a gun- that's not illegal. Can't trail a person just because they are that. Can't search them, too- remember, it's not illegal to have a gun.

And how do you define what mentally unstable even is? Who decides?

I get the thinking, but as the rules are defined, the perp didn't do anything legally wrong until he pulled the trigger the first time.

So no matter what we think should have been done, the only way to prevent so many deaths was to eliminate the number of rounds that got off- either by banning guns, restricting access to guns, restrict magazine size, etc...

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    I talked to my coworker last night. She's getting counseling for her PTSD. She wants to come back pretty much as soon as the services are over. I think that's bonkers and I'm going to try to gently nudge her into waiting a bit more, but she said she is afraid of being in her own mind once all the planning and the services and the visits and the investigation stops. Which I get. So if she really wants to come back early I won't stop her, but I'll keep reminding her that if she realizes on day 1 or day 8 that it was too soon, that's ok too.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    And the national guard

start suing these negligent police forces into the ground. Throw some criminal charges in (yes I know it's probably not actually criminal, BUT IT SHOULD BE)

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Sounds like the shooters ex wife and son contacted deputies in may that this guy was a threat.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I should have said this in the original reply, but I'm sure your coworker will understand the situation and appreciates your support even if you are there only in spirit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X