Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no way an EO for gun control legislation would hold up. The courts would overrule him when challenged. Just stop.

Your concern is noted though.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Just pass legislation....it's that easy.
      why didn't we think of that...
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

No actually it didn't.

The 67th time we had this same discussion on this board, about four years ago, I linked to multiple studies that were done following the assault weapons ban, and they concluded that as far as they could determine there was no recognizable effect.

The reason for that should be obvious. You could literally ban the manufacture and sale of all guns right now and we would still have enough guns floating around this country to have mass shootings until all of us have been gone for a hundred years.
        https://election.princeton.edu/2012/...eapons-matter/

Also:
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          There is no way an EO for gun control legislation would hold up. The courts would overrule him when challenged. Just stop.

Your concern is noted though.
          Why can't they do something else? For instance, why not do what they've done to cigarettes. Tax the heck out of ammunition. No, they haven't completely eliminated cigarettes, but you can't tell me that such a tax has had no effect.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Why can't they do something else? For instance, why not do what they've done to cigarettes. Tax the heck out of ammunition. No, they haven't completely eliminated cigarettes, but you can't tell me that such a tax has had no effect.
            I mean a state could choose to do that but Biden can't and it would never come close to passing Congress.

And do you really think the gun fellators will stop buying if it costs more? You would have to go the Chris Rock theory of "$1000 bullets" to make it work. And you will create a huge black market...

And what do you do about the hunters?
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• https://***********/ryanhermens/stat...12471913058314

Man arrested with weapons and body armor at the University of Kentucky hospital...

From the article in the second tweet:

University of Kentucky police arrested without incident an allegedly armed man Thursday at the University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital’s Emergency Department.

UK Police had gotten word from police in Versailles that a potentially armed and dangerous man was coming to the hospital to visit a relative, UK Police Chief Joe Monroe said. The man, identified as Bryan Carroll, was able to get into the hospital and visit the relative, but police found him using the hospital’s surveillance system. Carroll was arrested without incident as he started to walk out of the hospital, Monroe said.

Carroll, 44, was found to have weapons and body armor on him, and suspected explosive devices were found in his car, Monroe said.

Carroll was booked into the Fayette County Detention Center Thursday afternoon on multiple charges, including four counts of third-degree use of a weapon of mass destruction, five counts of possession of a handgun by a convicted felon and one count of possession of a weapon on school property, according to the jail website. He’s also charged with resisting arrest, fleeing from police, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a controlled substance. Monroe said federal charges also were possible.
              Last edited by Handyman; 03-25-2021, 05:20 PM.
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I'd like to know where these mass shooters have purchased their ammo, because it's been so hard to find due to the pandemic.

A coworker said he found some, but it was over $1.50 per round for 9mm. No way he was paying $75 for a box of ammo.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Looks like the psychos get a little antsy when there's a Democrat in the Oval Office.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Taxes bad, remember?
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      I'd like to know where these mass shooters have purchased their ammo, because it's been so hard to find due to the pandemic.

A coworker said he found some, but it was over $1.50 per round for 9mm. No way he was paying $75 for a box of ammo.
                      That’s why you have to hoard it when times are good
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

That's fine, then pass them. If you can't get them through Congress, get them through state houses that you control, or have Biden do an executive action.

See, I don't oppose most of those things you guys have posted about. I'm completely fine with registration. I'm completely fine with waiting periods. Background checks, no objection here. Heck, I don't even care if you ban assault rifles. Anyone who knows anything about guns, or uses them for lawful purposes, knows that assault rifles (as a product) are a piece of junk and worthless in the field.

But, what I have also told you repeatedly is this. Don't just whine about it, do something about it. Pass the legislation.

And I've also told you this. Don't be surprised when after you've passed the legislation and you're done patting yourself on the back about making us all safer from mass shootings that you hear about another.....mass shooting. Because as I have posted repeatedly, you're really not going to solve the problem (and no, I don't mean a complete elimination of mass shootings as "solving the problem.")
                        I’m not whining, and I already did my job. I voted for the party who may actually work to reduce gun violence. Been doing so since 2006. Reducing gun violence is the goal, preferably to levels comparable to other developed countries like Canada and Switzerland. I don’t think we’ll ever get to Japan’s level since we have more guns than people here, and that problem will never fully disappear. I’m not sure any of us will “pat ourselves on the back” if some kind of gun reform ever passed Congress, but if 39,000 gun deaths becomes 32,000 gun deaths, that’s a reduction. You take wins where you can get them, and there have been very, very few wins on the gun control front in the last couple decades.
                        In addition to everything mentioned, how about the US government buys some guns back, a la Australia? That might reduce the number in circulation. Cash for clunkers, cash for guns?

Comment

• I found an interesting group who fights for rights of Asian sex workers in the US. I can't vouch for them as far as donating but on early research they look legit, serious as a heart attack, and legally savvy. They are also a good potential source for information about the victims not filtered through law enforcement or other potentially biased sources.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                            In addition to everything mentioned, how about the US government buys some guns back, a la Australia? That might reduce the number in circulation. Cash for clunkers, cash for guns?
                            There is no point in doing that until we ban manufacture and import. Otherwise we're just subsidizing the mass murder industry.

Here's how to reduce the inventory: make it a criminal offense to manufacture or sell guns of class x immediately. Make it a criminal offense to possess class x after date y. Offer owners cash for those guns until date y. After that, confiscate and destroy every gun of class x (in addition to prosecuting violators).

Start with the worst mass murder weapons classes. Then walk it down through the classes until the bloodshed stops.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 03-26-2021, 07:53 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

There is no point in doing that until we ban manufacture and import. Otherwise we're just subsidizing the mass murder industry.

Here's how to reduce the inventory: make it a criminal offense to manufacture or sell guns of class x immediately. Make it a criminal offense to possess class x after date y. Offer owners cash for those guns until date y. After that, confiscate and destroy every gun of class x (in addition to prosecuting violators).

Start with the worst mass murder weapons classes. Then walk it down through the classes until the bloodshed stops.
                              Assault rifles make up a small percentage of gun deaths in the US. It’s almost always under five percent annually.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Assault rifles make up a small percentage of gun deaths in the US. It’s almost always under five percent annually.
                                Then it should be real easy to ban them.

Also, I suspect that percentage is far higher in mass death incidents.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X