Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well god damn it. Services for my coworker's murdered boyfriend are this weekend... which is not good. At work we have a substantial upgrade happening overnight Saturday/Sunday. Like, this is a big, big deal and not something I can just miss. And I am 100% sure everyone on my team will want to attend services.

I will be very sad to do so but I will absolutely hold down the fort to let others go, however I can't manage it all by myself, so I'll need 1-2 others to stay.

I know this issue is utterly meaningless compared to what my coworker is dealing with and I don't mean to make it about me. But I really wanted to be there for her, and I don't think I can.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• That's an impossible situation. I'm really sorry swan
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
        Well god damn it. Services for my coworker's murdered boyfriend are this weekend... which is not good. At work we have a substantial upgrade happening overnight Saturday/Sunday. Like, this is a big, big deal and not something I can just miss. And I am 100% sure everyone on my team will want to attend services.

I will be very sad to do so but I will absolutely hold down the fort to let others go, however I can't manage it all by myself, so I'll need 1-2 others to stay.

I know this issue is utterly meaningless compared to what my coworker is dealing with and I don't mean to make it about me. But I really wanted to be there for her, and I don't think I can.
        The carnage of our uniquely American inability to deal with an issue that is unlike this anywhere in the world reaches into all corners. I am so sorry for your friend's loss Swan, and for you too. That guy may have murdered 18 people but this will have a very real effect on 1000s of people.

Comment

• I should have said this in the original reply, but I'm sure your coworker will understand the situation and appreciates your support even if you are there only in spirit.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Sounds like the shooters ex wife and son contacted deputies in may that this guy was a threat.

Comment

• And the national guard

start suing these negligent police forces into the ground. Throw some criminal charges in (yes I know it's probably not actually criminal, BUT IT SHOULD BE)
              Code:

Comment

• If the law doesn't allow the police to disarm someone, what are they to do?

Comment

• I talked to my coworker last night. She's getting counseling for her PTSD. She wants to come back pretty much as soon as the services are over. I think that's bonkers and I'm going to try to gently nudge her into waiting a bit more, but she said she is afraid of being in her own mind once all the planning and the services and the visits and the investigation stops. Which I get. So if she really wants to come back early I won't stop her, but I'll keep reminding her that if she realizes on day 1 or day 8 that it was too soon, that's ok too.

Comment

If the law doesn't allow the police to disarm someone, what are they to do?
                    This is the important part.

Tell everyone you can, and they have no power to do a darned thing that matters.

Can't apprehend the person for being crazy and having a gun- that's not illegal. Can't trail a person just because they are that. Can't search them, too- remember, it's not illegal to have a gun.

And how do you define what mentally unstable even is? Who decides?

I get the thinking, but as the rules are defined, the perp didn't do anything legally wrong until he pulled the trigger the first time.

So no matter what we think should have been done, the only way to prevent so many deaths was to eliminate the number of rounds that got off- either by banning guns, restricting access to guns, restrict magazine size, etc...

Comment

• Not to mention the police force wont pay for it the town will...so the taxpayers. You know...the victims.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

This is the important part.

Tell everyone you can, and they have no power to do a darned thing that matters.

Can't apprehend the person for being crazy and having a gun- that's not illegal. Can't trail a person just because they are that. Can't search them, too- remember, it's not illegal to have a gun.

And how do you define what mentally unstable even is? Who decides?

I get the thinking, but as the rules are defined, the perp didn't do anything legally wrong until he pulled the trigger the first time.

So no matter what we think should have been done, the only way to prevent so many deaths was to eliminate the number of rounds that got off- either by banning guns, restricting access to guns, restrict magazine size, etc...
                        I don’t think you understand Maine’s laws. Police can and have taken guns away from people. I suspect the issue here was when they tried to contact him in September the brother knew he was uneasy and didn’t want the police to create some type of standoff situation(police shoot people all the time in Maine so it would be a rational fear for the family to have) so told them he would take care of it. For the family it’s obviously kind of an impossible situation to be in. The police shouldn’t have let it go.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• There is a lot of talk of this guy having some sort of mental health issue but I wonder if maybe he had some kind of physical health issue? Could he have had something like CTE and that is what caused his issues?
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

If the law doesn't allow the police to disarm someone, what are they to do?
                            Even in places where red flag laws exist, you've got MAGA sheriffs publicly stating, "My department won't be enforcing this unconstitutional law!111!!!1!" (*blow raspberry*) effectively practicing nullification at the local level.

Comment

. So if she really wants to come back early I won't stop her, but I'll keep reminding her that if she realizes on day 1 or day 8 that it was too soon, that's ok too.
                              That's the right path. Only she knows what's best for her, and I can imagine that in some ways, just being back in her normal work routine might be good for her. Occupies her mind with other things, keeps her busy. I can't imagine what it would be like sitting home, doing nothing, except reliving those events and wallowing in sadness.

But, if it does get to be too much, she has to know that she can bail if she gets overwhelmed. And make sure she has help and support available to her.

What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I don’t think you understand Maine’s laws. Police can and have taken guns away from people. I suspect the issue here was when they tried to contact him in September the brother knew he was uneasy and didn’t want the police to create some type of standoff situation(police shoot people all the time in Maine so it would be a rational fear for the family to have) so told them he would take care of it. For the family it’s obviously kind of an impossible situation to be in. The police shouldn’t have let it go.
                                Oh, so now you're in favor of police taking guns away from people?

Or isd it only certain people, in certain situations, after you know they've already killed a couple dozen people?
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X