Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Strict utilitarianism would be okay even with a non-zero error rate - so long as each innocent who dies deterred at least two murders. Trolley problem writ large.
    lol. I guess?

    Problem is the deterrence isn't even provably non-zero. I think it's reasonable to assume it's non-zero, the same way my chance of winning the lottery is non-zero.

    Edit: I'm still very uncomfortable with any innocents dying because that means there's a nonzero chance I'm somehow murdered by the state.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

    Comment


    • In related news (as I'm not sure if this was posted anywhere else), Alex Jones has an almost $1B verdict against him for his Sandy Hook BS. Which he brushed off live on his show.

      Comment


      • Yeah, we talkeda about it in the GQP thread i think
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

        Comment


        • Active shooting in Raleigh

          https://twitter.com/cbseveningnews/s...GuTiZTc5Vo89Xg

          Comment


          • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Strict utilitarianism would be okay even with a non-zero error rate - so long as each innocent who dies deterred at least two murders. Trolley problem writ large.

            Um. No. That's not how ethics works.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

              Um. No. That's not how ethics works.
              Hey, I didn't say *I* would be okay with it... :-)
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                Found out this morning from my daughter that my (potentially) future son-in-laws aunt is one of the victims. She was walking her dog when she took bullets in the groin, back, and leg. The dog didn't make it either.

                I don't know this person, but my daughter is shaken up. I can't help but think if these victims were carrying none of this would have happened.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

                  Found out this morning from my daughter that my (potentially) future son-in-laws aunt is one of the victims. She was walking her dog when she took bullets in the groin, back, and leg. The dog didn't make it either.

                  I don't know this person, but my daughter is shaken up. I can't help but think if these victims were carrying none of this would have happened.
                  How? Do you really think they would have actually been able to hit the shooter? Or would it have just added to the random number of bullets flying around?

                  Sorry, but having regular people shooting weapons as a "solution" is absurd to me. Regular people panic, regular people do random things, regular people won't aim all that well. Heck, we've seen professionals with guns not solve a shooting situation.

                  Very much sorry about your future son-in-law's aunt- but really look into yourself is she was carrying. Would it have mattered at all...

                  Comment


                  • jfc
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                    Comment


                    • I'm truly sorry about your soon-to-be-possibly family member. Random violence like this is shocking and difficult and I feel for you and your family.





                      But the fantasy of "if only there was someone packing" is just such steaming fantastical nonsense.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

                      Comment


                      • I think that might have been veeeery dry sarcasm.

                        Cornell '04, Stanford '06


                        KDR

                        Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

                        Test to see if I can add this.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                          I'm truly sorry about your soon-to-be-possibly family member. Random violence like this is shocking and difficult and I feel for you and your family.





                          But the fantasy of "if only there was someone packing" is just such steaming fantastical nonsense.
                          Fighting back is the last thing anyone should do, better off just letting him shoot you.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                            I think that might have been veeeery dry sarcasm.
                            The dryest...

                            /s probably would have helped.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

                              The dryest...

                              /s probably would have helped.
                              Whew- yes that would have helped. Sorry about the challenge.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

                                Whew- yes that would have helped. Sorry about the challenge.
                                Sorry to get everyone worked up. It sounded great in my head as I typed it...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X