Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass shooting in Racine Wisconsin at a funeral.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• "An AR-15 is a gun of choice for killing raccoons before they get to our chickens." — Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO)
      All of these ^^^ people are ****ing psychotic.

It's BS. I'm grew up rural and never heard of anyone needing an AR-15 for small animals. First you put chickens up at night. Second the decent sized farm dog will keep them away and act as the alarm. If you have one that's diseased and aggressive, .22 or shotgun works just fine.

https://twitter.com/ReebX1/status/1532453374863589384
      The AR-15 was designed to mortally damage people. “The bones aren’t going to break, they’re going to shatter. The organs aren’t going to be just damaged, they are going to be destroyed”. #BanAssaultWeapons
      https://twitter.com/isawthesethings/...10555667787778

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Agreed. Small game can be downed just fine with a .22, 9, or .38.

5.56 would obliterate small game.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• No one actually needs an AR-15. - Hillary Clinton
          100% correct Mrs. Clinton.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/s...11083487657989

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Agreed. Small game can be downed just fine with a .22, 9, or .38.

5.56 would obliterate small game.
            Actually, guns like a .22-250 or a .223 (which is what most AR-15's are, I believe) are pretty popular calibers for hunting raccoons. Now, that said, that doesn't mean you need a .223 caliber gun that looks like an AR-15. You can buy them in a variety of styles.

What people always forget about these AR-15's (because of their appearance, and because of their use in most of these mass shootings) is that the AR-15 is actually a pretty small caliber rifle.

https://www.huntingriflesreviews.com...nting-guns.php
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Actually, guns like a .22-250 or a .223 (which is what most AR-15's are, I believe) are pretty popular calibers for hunting raccoons. Now, that said, that doesn't mean you need a .223 caliber gun that looks like an AR-15. You can buy them in a variety of styles.

What people always forget about these AR-15's (because of their appearance, and because of their use in most of these mass shootings) is that the AR-15 is actually a pretty small caliber rifle.

It may be small caliber but it rips flesh apart. It tears your insides and kills you fast.

Comment

I don't think it matters a whole lot what people forget or what they know about firearms. Who cares if the typical round you fire with an AR-15 is actually a pretty small caliber? Some of us know and understand the ballistics and the physics behind why the AR-15 is so lethal and is the preferred rifle among the mass shooters. None of that matters. There is no reason for the average person to possess one. There never has been. There never will be.

Maybe the next mass shooting with an AR-15 will target the right people so that congress acts. We know they don't care if children and black people are the ones getting shot.

Comment

Yes, their diameters are similar, hence the similar names. And the actual bullet may be similar in size, but the one on the right has one hell of a wallop to it thanks to physics.

The one on the left can take a raccoon down just fine.

*edit* For those who may be unfamiliar, the left is a .22 LR round, the right is a .223 / 5.56 NATO round.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

It may be small caliber but it rips flesh apart. It tears your insides and kills you fast.
                    That certainly isn't unique about the AR-15, in relation to a number of other rifles.

I am very pro-gun control at this point, but the fear mongering and misinformation about the AR-15 is frustrating.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

That certainly isn't unique about the AR-15, in relation to a number of other rifles.

I am very pro-gun control at this point, but the fear mongering and misinformation about the AR-15 is frustrating.
                      https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status...36042820194305

Cynthia Bir showed us the difference between bullets shot from an AR-15-style rifle and a handgun using specially-formulated gelatin targets that were designed to represent soft tissue in the human body.

Comment

• The family of the inventor of this weapon, now deceased...”it was never invented for civilian use” https://thedailybeast.com/ar-15-inventor
                        https://twitter.com/NAnders97031928/...73336780292096

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

I don't think it matters a whole lot what people forget or what they know about firearms. Who cares if the typical round you fire with an AR-15 is actually a pretty small caliber? Some of us know and understand the ballistics and the physics behind why the AR-15 is so lethal and is the preferred rifle among the mass shooters. None of that matters. There is no reason for the average person to possess one. There never has been. There never will be.

Maybe the next mass shooting with an AR-15 will target the right people so that congress acts. We know they don't care if children and black people are the ones getting shot.
                          There is one reason, and one reason only as to why the AR-15 has been a popular choice for these mass shootings. The appearance of the weapon.

You think these 18 year olds sat down and studied the ballistics and lethality of various caliber choices before choosing the AR-15 as their weapon?

They chose it because it looks like an army gun. It looks like a rifle cops might carry.

That is literally it, the appearance.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Simple Math. (C) Scooby 2003

It's physics. Despite the similarity in bullet shape and size (the actual projectile) of a 22LR and a 223, the 223 is a heavier bullet (generally) and has much more gunpowder to throw that bullet.

Force = Mass x Accelleration

A .223/5.56 round has much more force than a .22LR, 9mm, or even a .38 round.

That force is what does the damage.

I'm all for gun ownership, but an 18 year old shouldn't have the ability to buy a weapon that can fire a damaging round like a .223/5.56, or at least not without some training.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

There is one reason, and one reason only as to why the AR-15 has been a popular choice for these mass shootings. The appearance of the weapon.

You think these 18 year olds sat down and studied the ballistics and lethality of various caliber choices before choosing the AR-15 as their weapon?

They chose it because it looks like an army gun. It looks like a rifle cops might carry.

That is literally it, the appearance.
                              Then why are they not buying the .22LR version that looks *indentical* to the .223/5.56 models that Smith and Wesson, Ruger, and others make?

Because they want to also have the damage behind it. A .22 "isn't cool." **** that. Minimum age to get any weapon over a certain force of bullet needs to be better regulated.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Scoob - like I said, I'm not disagreeing with you fundamentally. But the rounds are a huge part of what makes them so deadly, at least as much as the collection of parts used in the AR15 itself. The firing mechanism is used in other non-assault rifles, for example.

I want to curtail our nation's ridiculous obsession with guns and maybe save some lives in the process. I'm not coming at this from a "but mah freedoms!" perspective. I'm coming at this from a pure "well, would this new restriction accomplish anything" one.

Banning the AR15 platform wouldn't do that, in my opinion.
                                • Taxing rounds heavily will help.
                                • Limiting/banning semi-autos in general will help.
                                • Universal background checks will help.
                                • Waiting periods on purchases will help.
                                • Substantial investments into mental health coverage will help.

Don't focus on the specific tool, is my point, because someone will just develop the AR16 that's totally not the same thing but is totally the same thing and we accomplish nothing.
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X