The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Part Deux: Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    But that all misses the point. The point is the opposite: that because most abortions are before 15 weeks, those which are after are women who wanted the kid but there's something lethally wrong with it. This is about forcing women to carry for months and give birth to babies without skulls. And all because a bunch of sick sociopaths are milking a bunch of ignorant radicalized pea-brained morons.

End the Right, save the world.
    Correct. This is about the appearance of fairness. This is Sic's "but but but the EU and 15 weeks" without any of the nuance in their various laws.

Arguing about when the limit should be simply plays into the right's hands.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• There is one correct position on abortion. It is the woman's choice. Full stop.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        There is one correct position on abortion. It is the woman's choice. Full stop.
        100%
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Bingo.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I started watching the handmaids tale so I could see what the Christian men want to turn us into.

it’s a blueprint

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

I can’t speak to most women. My wife has had an ultrasound within 8 weeks for both pregnancies. There is this huge caveat: she’s hyper-vigilant on the matter of watching for pregnancy because she’s prone to miscarriage due to ovarian issues that vlcause hormone levels to not meet normally expected tolerances.

I could see women in a more casual state of mind easily being caught off guard by 15 weeks.
              This has nothing to do with women being casual. Ultrasounds are ordered for a medical reason. Ultrasounds are not a la carte. Patients don't get to decide they want one and poof they can get it.

Unless things have changed, the recommendation in a lo risk pregnancy is to wait until 2nd trimester to get a fetal survey for development etc. OBGYNs who own their own U/S equipment tend to do way more. There is controversy re the advisability of this as there is no need to do it more often unless there is an issue.

When I was in practice (admittedly a few yrs now) the insurance co did not cover U/S except once in the 2nd trimester unless there was a need for other testing- unknown dates (this is not always covered), previous history, bleeding, concerns re development, placement of the placenta, or if the pt was overdue.

I can't tell you the number of women who were incensed they couldn't have an U/S anytime they wanted, like medicine was Burger King- have it your way.

(this was always a sore topic when doing OB)

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                This has nothing to do with women being casual. Ultrasounds are ordered for a medical reason. Ultrasounds are not a la carte. Patients don't get to decide they want one and poof they can get it.

Unless things have changed, the recommendation in a lo risk pregnancy is to wait until 2nd trimester to get a fetal survey for development etc. OBGYNs who own their own U/S equipment tend to do way more. There is controversy re the advisability of this as there is no need to do it more often unless there is an issue.

When I was in practice (admittedly a few yrs now) the insurance co did not cover U/S except once in the 2nd trimester unless there was a need for other testing- unknown dates (this is not always covered), previous history, bleeding, concerns re development, placement of the placenta, or if the pt was overdue.

I can't tell you the number of women who were incensed they couldn't have an U/S anytime they wanted, like medicine was Burger King- have it your way.

(this was always a sore topic when doing OB)

I'll be honest, if I'm a doctor and wanting to make sure my patient doesn't get caught up in the GOP's religious wars and end up with a needle in her arm, I'd be happy to offer a non-invasive low-radiation option to make sure the egg implanted properly and that there are no major issues early on that could endanger the mother. When it comes to places like TX and FL where you have insane zealots trying to outdo each other, they'll have no second thoughts about executing a woman for removing an ectopic pregnancy if it helps their chances in 2024. But that's my layman devoid-of-actual-medicine asspost opinion.

Otherwise, I know the ultrasound seems to be more frequent now, at least it was with my in-laws who had trouble conceiving which very likely played a part.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I'll be honest, if I'm a doctor and wanting to make sure my patient doesn't get caught up in the GOP's religious wars and end up with a needle in her arm, I'd be happy to offer a non-invasive low-radiation option to make sure the egg implanted properly and that there are no major issues early on that could endanger the mother. When it comes to places like TX and FL where you have insane zealots trying to outdo each other, they'll have no second thoughts about executing a woman for removing an ectopic pregnancy if it helps their chances in 2024. But that's my layman devoid-of-actual-medicine asspost opinion.

Otherwise, I know the ultrasound seems to be more frequent now, at least it was with my in-laws who had trouble conceiving which very likely played a part.
                  IN a perfect world.... but we live in a world where you don't get to practice medicine. You practice finances and insurance. U/S are expensive. Where I am they make you pony up before you get to have the test.

U/S can be helpful for some of that stuff but as a Provider you are screwed to begin with as there will always be some a55hat who is willing to sell their soul to give an opinion that is favorable to the zealots' needs. Listen to the testimony of some of these a5swipes. They claim they are docs but their testimony is so divorced from reality it is astonishing they don't lose their license (except the State BOM have no reproductive organs in their shorts)

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

IN a perfect world.... but we live in a world where you don't get to practice medicine. You practice finances and insurance. U/S are expensive. Where I am they make you pony up before you get to have the test.

U/S can be helpful for some of that stuff but as a Provider you are screwed to begin with as there will always be some a55hat who is willing to sell their soul to give an opinion that is favorable to the zealots' needs. Listen to the testimony of some of these a5swipes. They claim they are docs but their testimony is so divorced from reality it is astonishing they don't lose their license (except the State BOM have no reproductive organs in their shorts)
                    Wait, how much is expensive? I think the ultrasound was the cheapest of the scans I had done when I had my medical scare. I could have sworn it was under $200. The CTs and MRIs were all north of that. The MRIs were like $700 a pop.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Wait, how much is expensive? I think the ultrasound was the cheapest of the scans I had done when I had my medical scare. I could have sworn it was under $200. The CTs and MRIs were all north of that. The MRIs were like $700 a pop.
                      Are you talking copay or actual billed cost? Because MRIs can cost several thousand, depending on like a zillion things. They are so expensive that CMS requires the use of a decision support tool that's been approved by ... some AMA-like governing body. This went into effect in 2019 so under the Protecting Access to Medicare Act. Several private payers adopted it as well as a cost-saving measure.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        I started watching the handmaids tale so I could see what the Christian men want to turn us into.

it’s a blueprint
                        Yeah, that series is on my list.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Yeah, that series is on my list.
                          The parts where fertile women are held down by wives as their husbands rape them are my favorite

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

The parts where fertile women are held down by wives as their husbands rape them are my favorite
                            Yikes
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Yikes
                              Keep your shorts on. It’s white women only, and anyway, that’s not until phase 3 of the GQP plan to retake America for Real Americans.

No big whup.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• You would think Moss being on a show like Handmaids Tale would make her think twice about being a Scientologist...but alas she defends the cult still.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X