This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Blue states don’t have enough affordable housing and good paying jobs now and you want us to move there?
    Honestly, the purple states are where there are both jobs and affordable housing for immigrants, transplants, and refugees. We all know that DC elitist Kep likes to pontificate about the poors ;-), but I don't think it's reasonable to ask these folks to move to an overpriced coastal state. I would suggest that if they want to leave and are in a situation where they have the means to do so, they could help shore up our margins in more affordable swing states where the tide is turning blue because Republicans have been losing the gerrymandering, voter suppression, and/or transplant battles (MI, AZ, GA, maybe NC).

If you're a Dem transplant looking to leave a red state, or the coasts, why the fck would you move to Texas? Aside from the sh*t infrastructure, extreme weather, regressive taxation, corrupt AG, and fascist legislature, Republicans have their thumb on the scale to the point that Dems do not have a serious shot at any control there for the next 10 years at least.

Comment

• People just gotta pick themselves up by the bootstraps, magically make money appear, and then go to whatever dreamland they choose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Where Kepler is wrong is that there is presently no need for people to leave the "red states." They are not the side of a volcano, they are not some poor jungle village in Central America, and they aren't 1930's Nazi Germany, despite Kepler's repeated efforts to paint them as such. North Dakota was a spectacular place to grow up and live, and I wouldn't hesitate to live there again if I felt the need to move.
        Nazi Germany was a spectacular place to grow up if you were them:

The other responses are simply proving my point. Of course it is incredibly difficult to move -- devastating financially and emotionally. You guys are so ready with your blah blah coastal elite blah paint by numbers narrative you cannot see I am starting from that assumption.

The entire point is: and, yet, people do, when faced with this type of cruelty and malice and stupidity. This is exactly analogous to the abused wife staying with her abuser because to leave is to be utterly dislocated.

My point is not the Poors suck because they won't leave. The Poors do suck:

but not because they can't leave yet. My point is we need to make it easier to admit refugees. We do this for those who flee international totalitarianism and terror, and we should do the same for the interstate totalitarianism and terror of the MAGAts.

Last edited by Kepler; 09-12-2023, 11:26 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Humans are wanderers. They have been since the beginning. We constantly migrate to places where we think there are better opportunities for life. Notwithstanding all of the hand-wringing around here over supposed obstacles to moving, at no time in history has it been easier to move than right now. Transportation is easier. The ability to search for housing and jobs is substantially easier than at any time in history.

Again, people aren't fleeing red states because they see no reason to do so.
          lmao
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Abused women don’t leave their abusive significant other because it’s “utterly dislocating”? You talk with abused women on a regular basis like I do at my work? Good god, your analogies are hot garbage.

Comment

I tend to think that Kepler is right. Money isn't the obstacle. But he is also wrong.

The primary roadblock to people moving is fear. Fear of the unknown.

They are currently living paycheck to paycheck....
              I know you're going to argue otherwise but you contradict yourself. People living paycheck to paycheck absolutely have money as an obstacle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                You guys are so ready with your blah blah coastal elite blah paint by numbers narrative
                As opposed to your "blah blah poors/minorities still living in red states are fascists or just dumb blah poor people are icky paint-by-numbers" narrative?

Unserious takes get unserious responses, Kep.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                  Abused women don’t leave their abusive significant other because it’s “utterly dislocating”? You talk with abused women on a regular basis like I do at my work? Good god, your analogies are hot garbage.
                  6. 7. 8. I guess they don't know what they're talking about, either.

6. Family Expectations and Experiences. Many posted descriptions of how past experiences with violence distorted their sense of self or of healthy relationships: “I watched [my dad] beat my mom. Then I found someone just like dad,” or, “Because raised by animals, you partner with wolves.” Some mentioned family and religious pressures: “My mother told me God would disown me if I broke my marriage.”

7. Financial Constraints. Many referred to financial limitations, and these were often connected to caring for children: “I had no family, two young children, no money, and guilt because he had brain damage from a car accident.” Others were unable to keep jobs because of the abuser’s control or their injuries, and others were used financially by their abuser: “[My] ex racked up thousands of debt in my name.”

8. Isolation. A common tactic of manipulative partners is to separate their victim from family and friends. Sometimes this is physical, as one woman experienced: “I was literally trapped in the backwoods of WV, and he would use my little boy to keep me close.” Other times isolation is emotional, as one woman was told: “You can either have friends and family or you can have me.”
                  The analogy is correct. red state Poors are behind the eight ball and can't leave because they do not have the resources and are afraid of the isolation -- just like everybody else on this thread has been saying. Not sure what you're whining about.

Last edited by Kepler; 09-12-2023, 01:33 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

6. 7. 8. I guess they don't know what they're talking about, either.

The analogy is correct. red state Poors are behind the eight ball and can't leave because they do not have the resources and are afraid of the isolation -- just like everybody else on this thread has been saying. Not sure what you're whining about.

Whining? Is this what you turn to when you’re wrong? My goodness, you’re a hypocrite. You cite one article, where three of the eight reasons provided somehow act as proof that your analogy is correct? How about the other five reasons in your one article? Those point to…? I’d say take the “L”, but you’re acting like Chuck, Whalers, and Jeb, so I don’t expect you to do so. Frankly, it’s disturbing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

I know you're going to argue otherwise but you contradict yourself. People living paycheck to paycheck absolutely have money as an obstacle.
                      Well sure, it's an obstacle, but so is the need to get a new drivers license when you move to a different state. It's just not an insurmountable obstacle.

Are you telling me that the thousands upon thousands of people walking to the US from Central America or coming here from West Africa, are doing so with wheel barrows full of cash? People are taking the leap and changing where they live every single day with way less financial means than some waitress and her family in Huron, SD.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                        Is this what you turn to when you’re wrong?
                        Good lord, the old junior high school social media trope. This is not productive. You overreacted, you were rebutted, and now you are wildly throwing out flack, desperately trying to cover your escape.

Flee, I'm not pursuing. You've shown what you are. Drop your devastating adolescent last words, gather the rubes' cheers, and let's move on to why we all hate Hovey. That's more fun.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Well sure, it's an obstacle, but so is the need to get a new drivers license when you move to a different state. It's just not an insurmountable obstacle.

Are you telling me that the thousands upon thousands of people walking to the US from Central America or coming here from West Africa, are doing so with wheel barrows full of cash? People are taking the leap and changing where they live every single day with way less financial means than some waitress and her family in Huron, SD.
                          While it is way more onerous than Hovey is saying here, he is right that every refugee who comes to the US overcomes challenges incomparably more severe than leaving the slave states.

Fun factoid: the story of early American immigrants being poor is largely a myth. American immigrants prior to the 1960s were overwhelmingly from the middle and upper middle class strata of their societies, the way immigrants from Asia continue to be.

Indeed it was only when we really did started attracting the tired, poor, huddled masses in the 1970s, that Good Old Kind Honorable America blotted out the text of Lady Liberty. It didn't help, of course, that the new immigrants were the wrong color.

The Average American deeply cherishes and honors American values, right up until the instant they are slightly frightened or inconvenienced by them.

Last edited by Kepler; 09-12-2023, 03:09 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

As someone who's been poor enough to have housing instability and stay in a homeless shelter:

3x monthly income, a decent credit score, and a lack of places that fit one's budget may not be "insurmountable," but one cannot climb that mountain on their own.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Good lord, the old junior high school social media trope. This is not productive. You overreacted, you were rebutted, and now you are wildly throwing out flack, desperately trying to cover your escape.

Flee, I'm not pursuing. You've shown what you are. Drop your devastating adolescent last words, gather the rubes' cheers, and let's move on to why we all hate Hovey. That's more fun.
                              Classic use of DARVO on your part. I’m not overreacting. I’m not fleeing. I don’t have to cover an “escape”, because quite simply, you’re wrong. Your analogy sucks. Your one article you quickly pulled from Google trying to prove your point doesn’t trump the years of experience I have in the field of psychology working as a therapist, and now nurse, with women who’ve suffered abuse at the hands of husbands, boyfriends, etc. Your quadrupling down on this is embarrassing.
                              As for Hovey, yeah, I enjoy making fun of him, but in reality, he’s by far the smartest conservative on this board. Furthermore, if we were talking about the topic of running a business, I would value his opinion when it comes to what it takes to own a successful one, since I assume he must be doing well for himself. More power to him.
                              I’ll let you escape now. Back to the topic at hand.

Comment

Well sure, it's an obstacle, but so is the need to get a new drivers license when you move to a different state.
                                I stopped at this disingenuous b.s. Comparing getting a DL to a full on move to another state is preposterous even for you.

Cc:Kep - nor every refugee overcomes and comparing fleeing say a civil war to abortion legislation as a motivating factor is Hovey level b.s.
                                Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-12-2023, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X