Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Part Deux: Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    You would think Moss being on a show like Handmaids Tale would make her think twice about being a Scientologist...but alas she defends the cult still.
    Programming is deep.

    Is Moss one of the ones who is second gen nutbar? Like with other religions they almost never get free.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

      Programming is deep.

      Is Moss one of the ones who is second gen nutbar? Like with other religions they almost never get free.
      Not that I can tell but who knows. Probably one of the ones who joined to help her career...
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

      "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

      Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

        Not that I can tell but who knows. Probably one of the ones who joined to help her career...
        Yeah, she is, I looked it up.

        As with Christianity or anything else, if it's jammed into your skull when you're a child it is almost impossible to ever get rid of it. It will haunt you, if not as superstition, then as a villain to attack. Carlin never got over it, and he was more sensible than most.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Swansong View Post

          Are you talking copay or actual billed cost? Because MRIs can cost several thousand, depending on like a zillion things. They are so expensive that CMS requires the use of a decision support tool that's been approved by ... some AMA-like governing body. This went into effect in 2019 so under the Protecting Access to Medicare Act. Several private payers adopted it as well as a cost-saving measure.
          At the time, billed cost since I hadn't hit my deductible.

          I had two MRIs twice. With and without contrast. Each was about $1,500 for the pair.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

          Comment


          • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

            Wait, how much is expensive? I think the ultrasound was the cheapest of the scans I had done when I had my medical scare. I could have sworn it was under $200. The CTs and MRIs were all north of that. The MRIs were like $700 a pop.
            For some women coming up with even something under 200$ is not easy- beyond the actual cost of the scan there can be a bill for radiology read, missing work- unpaid, transportation and a host of other hidden costs. This is hard enough when they they only have one but financially impossible if you are talking about doing multiple scans.

            Many women who are uninsured are working multiple PT jobs (no benefits) so it can be a logistical nightmare to juggle getting the appointment, dealing with them getting time off from both or more jobs, transportation, dealing with the kids who often are shuttled from one relative to another between jobs...

            Many of the reasons women can't see their way to continuing a pregnancy- everything is one complication away from everything crashing down financially.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

              At the time, billed cost since I hadn't hit my deductible.

              I had two MRIs twice. With and without contrast. Each was about $1,500 for the pair.
              This can depend on what is scanned and also where the scan is happening. Best example= we had an independent radiology center that did x-rays, mammos, etc. They had a contract with the local PHO (Physician Hospital Organization) so by proxy with all the insurances, to do Mammos at a set rate (somewhere around 250)

              Mass General took over the site and didn't let people know this happened. They kept calling women to come for their annual screen. They were out of network. Mass General's agreement with insurances was to bill 800$ for the same services. The explanation for such a disparity was they were a teaching and research based hospital and this was part of the way they funded themselves.

              Women were getting wacked with bills for going out of network. Some of the insurances paid but then docked the hospital the extra money from their reimbursement. I used to tell the uninsured pts to call around to get the best rate. This of course was a pipe dream. ALthough it is a law they reveal prices they never give a straight answer.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                At the time, billed cost since I hadn't hit my deductible.

                I had two MRIs twice. With and without contrast. Each was about $1,500 for the pair.
                That’s a very average cost here fyi on a typical ****ty *** employer plan

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

                  That’s a very average cost here fyi on a typical ****ty *** employer plan
                  That's a normal amount until I hit my deductible then it's 20% until OOP max. That's pretty typical for insurance.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                    That's a normal amount until I hit my deductible then it's 20% until OOP max. That's pretty typical for insurance.
                    Well, yes.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

                      For some women coming up with even something under 200$ is not easy- beyond the actual cost of the scan there can be a bill for radiology read, missing work- unpaid, transportation and a host of other hidden costs. This is hard enough when they they only have one but financially impossible if you are talking about doing multiple scans.

                      Many women who are uninsured are working multiple PT jobs (no benefits) so it can be a logistical nightmare to juggle getting the appointment, dealing with them getting time off from both or more jobs, transportation, dealing with the kids who often are shuttled from one relative to another between jobs...

                      Many of the reasons women can't see their way to continuing a pregnancy- everything is one complication away from everything crashing down financially.
                      Agree and fair point. But that wasn't my original point. My point was that if im a doctor and someone requests one knowing it's $200, then I'd be hard pressed to say no.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

                        This can depend on what is scanned and also where the scan is happening. Best example= we had an independent radiology center that did x-rays, mammos, etc. They had a contract with the local PHO (Physician Hospital Organization) so by proxy with all the insurances, to do Mammos at a set rate (somewhere around 250)

                        Mass General took over the site and didn't let people know this happened. They kept calling women to come for their annual screen. They were out of network. Mass General's agreement with insurances was to bill 800$ for the same services. The explanation for such a disparity was they were a teaching and research based hospital and this was part of the way they funded themselves.

                        Women were getting wacked with bills for going out of network. Some of the insurances paid but then docked the hospital the extra money from their reimbursement. I used to tell the uninsured pts to call around to get the best rate. This of course was a pipe dream. ALthough it is a law they reveal prices they never give a straight answer.
                        Yes. Shop around is very good advice. I wanted to know if I had cancer and was at going to die so I went with the hospital and didn't care about costs. Only who had an opening the next day :-P
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                          Agree and fair point. But that wasn't my original point. My point was that if im a doctor and someone requests one knowing it's $200, then I'd be hard pressed to say no.
                          I had a visceral reaction to this comment. Medicine is not Burger King. The direct to consumer ads have given people the impression that they should be able to request tests (treatments, meds) like they were ordering coffee esp if they are willing to pay out of pocket. I would have no problem saying no. Most Providers should have no problem saying no. If they don't then there is a problem with their ethics.

                          A Provider's job is to consider if there is a medical reason to recommend a test (tor treatment, or course of action). They also need to think of what the plan is if you do a test- You never do something without considering what you will do with the results. This is one of the first things you learn as you start ordering tests. You can be in a world of pain if you end up with incidental findings that make you do further testing even if there are no symptoms. You have to defend why you ordered the test to begin with and you get to deal with how much of a work up is necessary= the trade off between too much with incurred cost or too little and get your a55 sued.

                          Ordering unwarranted tests to is a waste of resources. We have limited medical resources- machines, staff, space- with limited accessibility in most areas. Just because people can afford it is not a reason to be doing tests on a whim because people want them.

                          If the person is looking to see if there is an abnormality with the pregnancy the capture rate would be very low having an U/S early. In most cases those tell you how many embryos are implanted and not a whole lot more except where it is in the uterus.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

                            I had a visceral reaction to this comment. Medicine is not Burger King. The direct to consumer ads have given people the impression that they should be able to request tests (treatments, meds) like they were ordering coffee esp if they are willing to pay out of pocket. I would have no problem saying no. Most Providers should have no problem saying no. If they don't then there is a problem with their ethics.

                            A Provider's job is to consider if there is a medical reason to recommend a test (tor treatment, or course of action). They also need to think of what the plan is if you do a test- You never do something without considering what you will do with the results. This is one of the first things you learn as you start ordering tests. You can be in a world of pain if you end up with incidental findings that make you do further testing even if there are no symptoms. You have to defend why you ordered the test to begin with and you get to deal with how much of a work up is necessary= the trade off between too much with incurred cost or too little and get your a55 sued.

                            Ordering unwarranted tests to is a waste of resources. We have limited medical resources- machines, staff, space- with limited accessibility in most areas. Just because people can afford it is not a reason to be doing tests on a whim because people want them.

                            If the person is looking to see if there is an abnormality with the pregnancy the capture rate would be very low having an U/S early. Those tell you how many embryos are implanted and not a whole lot more except where it is in the uterus.
                            Well said. Exactly right

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

                              I had a visceral reaction to this comment. Medicine is not Burger King. The direct to consumer ads have given people the impression that they should be able to request tests (treatments, meds) like they were ordering coffee esp if they are willing to pay out of pocket. I would have no problem saying no. Most Providers should have no problem saying no. If they don't then there is a problem with their ethics.

                              A Provider's job is to consider if there is a medical reason to recommend a test (tor treatment, or course of action). They also need to think of what the plan is if you do a test- You never do something without considering what you will do with the results. This is one of the first things you learn as you start ordering tests. You can be in a world of pain if you end up with incidental findings that make you do further testing even if there are no symptoms. You have to defend why you ordered the test to begin with and you get to deal with how much of a work up is necessary= the trade off between too much with incurred cost or too little and get your a55 sued.

                              Ordering unwarranted tests to is a waste of resources. We have limited medical resources- machines, staff, space- with limited accessibility in most areas. Just because people can afford it is not a reason to be doing tests on a whim because people want them.

                              If the person is looking to see if there is an abnormality with the pregnancy the capture rate would be very low having an U/S early. In most cases those tell you how many embryos are implanted and not a whole lot more except where it is in the uterus.
                              Except when the state starts to threaten to murder you because of religious zealotry. That's a pretty good effing reason.

                              Edit: WHich, again, was my entire point, the context of which seems to have been lost in the several posts since then. I'm not talking about randos wanting a pregnancy test or weekly pictures of their precious chicken nugget.
                              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-21-2022, 10:22 PM.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                              Comment


                              • Oh noes, more white women affected by these laws

                                https://twitter.com/jessicavalenti/s...mOQH4I4lvxxMdw

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X