• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Wow! DoD work pays well, eh? ;-)
    There's two of us, both ridiculously overeducated, we only had one kid, we never buy things, and we're old. It adds up.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

His being out of touch makes more sense now ;^)

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    We have talked about living in Phoenix from November-April, in Portland from June-September, and then renting a house in Northern Europe in May and Southern Europe in October.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    You're a good 15 years out of data with respect to Florida. If AZ were blue the way FL is red, then AZ would be a workers' paradise with socialized everything.
    Fair. AZ in 2023 is the inverse of Florida in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Minnesota is God's country in multiple ways if you don't care about professional sports. It's too good for a coastal elite.

Having been away for 15+ years in total I miss it badly. Central America, Europe, SE Asia and the Middle East notwithstanding
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-05-2023, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    I think AZ is roughly trending blue in the way Florida and Texas and Ohio are trending red.
    You're a good 15 years out of data with respect to Florida. If AZ were blue the way FL is red, then AZ would be a workers' paradise with socialized everything.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The Oregon Coast is a lovely place to retire.
    We have talked about living in Phoenix from November-April, in Portland from June-September, and then renting a house in Nothern Europe in May and Southern Europe in October.

Leave a comment:

• Proud2baLaker
    replied
    I love quite a bit about living in Idaho. Namely, my job/career, and my access to excellent fly fishing in beautiful areas surrounded by mountains (or sometimes near the top of them). But I absolutely hate the politics here. If a job that paid as much or more in my current field opened in a blue state that gave me similar access to the things I like, I don't think I would hesitate to take it.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    As long as young progressives/professionals keep moving to Maricopa County and the colleges stay strong Arizona will trend the right way. Unless they elect a Black Man as Governor...then all hell will break loose.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Hey I think OR and WA are truly beautiful
    The Oregon Coast is a lovely place to retire.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    I think AZ is roughly trending blue in the way Florida and Texas and Ohio are trending red.
    AZ is trending blue the way the US was trending blue in 2008. The backlash, as we have seen, can be lethal. Now add that AZ cons are just as stupid as KS cons but also just as violent as MS cons. It's a bad scene.

AZ will eventually (25-75 years) pass the kidney stone of white Christian nationalism the way the whole country will, but that is a very painful and bloody process and I would just assume we ride it out someplace safe, sane, and cultured. The problem is almost every place that checks all those boxes is either meteorologically or aesthetically hellish. I guess Denver and Santa Fe are exceptions. I dunno... Minneapolis maybe? (Dr. Mrs. hates snow unfortunately.)
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-05-2023, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    True, but the west is rain and the east is herpa-derp.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    I think AZ is roughly trending blue in the way Florida and Texas and Ohio are trending red. AZ has 1 Dem Senator, 1 moron-who-use-to-be-a-Dem, a Dem governor, and a state leg that's R controlled but trending D despite some pretty shameless gerrymandering. The US House seats are subject to the same evil gerrymandering and are 6-3 fascists.

Now to be fair, there is a very, very strong fascist movement there. Biggs, Gosar, Eva Bronze and that skeleton Blake Masters. But they keep losing in statewide races.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

We will retire where she lives. If she moves we will redirect.

It's too bad because all the truly beautiful states (AZ, UT, ID, parts of WY) are DerpWorld.

Maybe NM.
    Yeah no judgment here, but there's plenty of blue beauties out there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X