Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
    I would take this map in a heart beat. No way the legislature passes it, though. We'll be seeing the 2nd nonpartisan attempt in October or November. https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/publ...color_2021.pdf
    Looks a lot better than most of the maps you see nowadays.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Looks a lot better than most of the maps you see nowadays.
      It would go from 1 solid R - 2 tossup - 1 lean D to 1 extra solid R - 1 tossup - 1 lean D - 1 solid D. And it puts 2 current R incumbents in the same district.

Like I said, no way it passes.

Comment

It would go from 1 solid R - 2 tossup - 1 lean D to 1 extra solid R - 1 tossup - 1 lean D - 1 solid D. And it puts 2 current R incumbents in the same district.

Like I said, no way it passes.
        Whiny little girly men can't just compete on the merits? This whole idea that districts are locked into a party before voting and campaigning even begins is so ****ing Anti-American it's sick. **** Republicans and Democrats who do this ****.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• TMBASQ: Does the constitution prohibit proportional voting for the house? Obviously if it isn't prohibited, it would be by state. And of course there is no chance the GOP states pass it. The blue states are dumb enough.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Stupid question on the basis of gerrymandering: Can you make any multi-county (or parish) district abide by county lines? or is that just too much of a hassle when you get into big cities?

You would have generally clear, established lines that are symmetrical or use natural barriers/borders (rivers for example).
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Whiny little girly men can't just compete on the merits? This whole idea that districts are locked into a party before voting and campaigning even begins is so ****ing Anti-American it's sick. **** Republicans and Democrats who do this ****.
              The non partisan staffers get 3 chances under Iowa law. In the last 50 years, the 1st maps have been approved twice, the 2nd maps twice, and the 3rd map once.

You can't expect a GOP-dominated legislature to approve maps that would shift power to the Dems when they get two more shots for free. I wouldn't expect Dems to, either.

if they go nuclear and go full gerrymander after rejecting the 3rd map, then it's time to get ****ed.

Comment

The non partisan staffers get 3 chances under Iowa law. In the last 50 years, the 1st maps have been approved twice, the 2nd maps twice, and the 3rd map once.

You can't expect a GOP-dominated legislature to approve maps that would shift power to the Dems when they get two more shots for free. I wouldn't expect Dems to, either.

if they go nuclear and go full gerrymander after rejecting the 3rd map, then it's time to get ****ed.
                So wait, the non-partisans get three chances to satisfy the partisans? Why even have a non-partisan step?
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

So wait, the non-partisans get three chances to satisfy the partisans? Why even have a non-partisan step?
                  The partisans only get a straight up or down vote, and if they vote down they have to explain why (based on the criteria set forth in law, which explicitly excludes partisan factors) so the non partisan staffers can correct it in the next round.

If the 3rd map is not approved as drafted, the partisans can take over and amend it as desired but it's then subject to immediate review by the state Supreme Court (which, unfortunately has gone the same way as the Feds in the last 10 years).

To put this in gaming terms, the rules allow 2 rerolls. The first roll (from the GOP perspective) was a 4. Why wouldn't they reroll hoping for at least a 10, if not a 20?

Now the caveat in all this is that traditionally they vote more based on state legislative lines than the federal ones, so who knows what they think about those.
                  Last edited by unofan; 09-16-2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    TMBASQ: Does the constitution prohibit proportional voting for the house? Obviously if it isn't prohibited, it would be by state. And of course there is no chance the GOP states pass it. The blue states are dumb enough.
                    Not directly, but it requires states to have Republican forms of government and gives Congress the power to regulate state laws with respect to congressional elections. So if congress says no, then it's a no.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Stupid question on the basis of gerrymandering: Can you make any multi-county (or parish) district abide by county lines? or is that just too much of a hassle when you get into big cities?

You would have generally clear, established lines that are symmetrical or use natural barriers/borders (rivers for example).
                      Could you (where feasible and the population allows)? Yes.
                      are you required to? No.

Comment

• As always, dead on.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Chris Coons' name always makes me giggle...that was as far as I made it in the story.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            I suspect that they actually like having Manchin to fall on the centrist sword for them and soak up all the hate from progs.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I suspect that they actually like having Manchin to fall on the centrist sword for them and soak up all the hate from progs.
                              It's like the three in the House who voted against the bill that would allow for negotiation of prescription drugs. I believe at least two, if not all three, were previous proponents of such a bill, but they had the ability to vote for it and not have it go through in the past.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• I think she really believes this too...I almost retweeted this to the Preposterous Statement Tournament (Twin Cities sports radio bit).

https://***********/RonFilipkowski/s...55827042017290
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X