Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Can't you?

I have a long history here of being mostly on the Republican side of various issues, but the current iteration of the party makes me physically ill. It's caused me a great deal of self-examination (did my beliefs and actions lead to this? etc.) and a lot of re-thinking how I've lived and acted. Did I change? Did the party change? Did both? Either way, the GQP is completely unrecognizable to me from even 10 years ago.
    Party didn’t change. It was just exposed for what it’s been for the past 40 years: a Ponzi scheme for the rich. People like you, Drew, and Hovey are the intellectuals who actually pay attention to politics and recognize that one party resorting to basic, primal, authoritarian instincts isn’t a solid way to continue growing, or at least stabilizing, democracy. I personally don’t think any of you did anything wrong, but I live in Trump country, so I’m able to see people outside of just their political party/leanings. Democrats certainly aren’t without their (our) warts, but at least they publicly pretend to care about people. I think we’re more solid at hiding our hypocrisy.

Comment

• But the party has changed, at least to some extent. GWB would never demand this absurd cult-like level of loyalty. Nor would any other President or Presidential hopeful. I feel like Trump has truly perverted the party. Sure, the foundation for "this" was there, but it took a catalyst to start the chain reaction. Trump was the catalyst.

We need (at least) two functioning, democratic-loving political parties. Sadly, we're down one.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

But the party has changed, at least to some extent. GWB would never demand this absurd cult-like level of loyalty. Nor would any other President or Presidential hopeful. I feel like Trump has truly perverted the party. Sure, the foundation for "this" was there, but it took a catalyst to start the chain reaction. Trump was the catalyst.

We need (at least) two functioning, democratic-loving political parties. Sadly, we're down one.
        No. All Trump did was expose the underbelly. This has been there since Reagan took office. That was when the switch flipped.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Republicans Try To Rewrite History During Capitol Attack Hearing

“There was no insurrection,” Republican Georgia Rep. Andrew Clyde said of the Jan. 6 attack.
          https://www.huffpost.com/entry/repub...b03e1dd384d93f

And we cutely call Trump claiming the election was stolen the "Big Lie". There are so many Big Lies how do we pick just one?

Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), a white nationalist sympathizer whose own family disavowed him for helping to incite the riot, attempted to paint Babbitt as a “veteran wrapped in an American flag.” He also described the hundreds of insurrectionists arrested and charged by the FBI as “peaceful patriots” who are being “harassed.”
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• They fear what Trump' s base will do to them, in general, but especially if Hair Hitler points the mob in their direction.

That base has always been there, at least since the time of Reagan. The party " intellectuals" stirred up, fomented, and manipulated that base to retain their own power, using them as a means to their intended ends, tunnelling money to rich people.

That base, fed an ever outlandish red meat fever swamp, became dumber and more rabid and gullible. They would believe anything the Republican overlords told them. And their numbers were increasing. Some of their mob actually got elected, and began espousing their stupidity in Congress. And the mob continued to eat it up.

As you say, Trump was the catalyst. The Republican Frankenstein's monster oflo ignorance, conspiracy theories, and white grievance has finally turned on their masters, one of them being Liz Cheney. She and others like her spent years building this monster for their own aims and now its running amok through the countryside, out of control. It needs to be killed before it completes its campaign of destruction, or there won't be any countryside left
            Last edited by rufus; 05-13-2021, 07:52 AM.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Party didn’t change. It was just exposed for what it’s been for the past 40 years: a Ponzi scheme for the rich. People like you, Drew, and Hovey are the intellectuals who actually pay attention to politics and recognize that one party resorting to basic, primal, authoritarian instincts isn’t a solid way to continue growing, or at least stabilizing, democracy. I personally don’t think any of you did anything wrong, but I live in Trump country, so I’m able to see people outside of just their political party/leanings. Democrats certainly aren’t without their (our) warts, but at least they publicly pretend to care about people. I think we’re more solid at hiding our hypocrisy.
              I think the makeup of the party has changed significantly. Honestly a lot of the people who make it up today I wouldn't want to be associated with. I think the party itself has gotten much more extreme in its bizarre beliefs too.

The Republican congress of the 90's worked great with Clinton as far as keeping the budget under control. Now its like they are doing everything they can to send us into bankruptcy. I really don't know how people can believe any of the nonsense they spout off.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I think the makeup of the party has changed significantly. Honestly a lot of the people who make it up today I wouldn't want to be associated with. I think the party itself has gotten much more extreme in its bizarre beliefs too.

The Republican congress of the 90's worked great with Clinton as far as keeping the budget under control. Now its like they are doing everything they can to send us into bankruptcy. I really don't know how people can believe any of the nonsense they spout off.
                Oh, you mean when the Democrats had no power after Reagan and Clinton figured out the only way to pass legislation and get elected is through triangulation? And now Turtle Boy has completely shut that down as well?

Comment

But the party has changed, at least to some extent. GWB would never demand this absurd cult-like level of loyalty. Nor would any other President or Presidential hopeful. I feel like Trump has truly perverted the party. Sure, the foundation for "this" was there, but it took a catalyst to start the chain reaction. Trump was the catalyst.

He didn't pervert the Party, he just was sociopathic enough to take advantage of aspects of the Party others refused to. Think about the way Reagan is worshipped by these clowns...Trump took that but mainstreamed it to a current candidate. He knew he had the "uneducated gun fellating racists" to back him so all he needed was to get the nomination and his deification was complete. Since he doesn't much care about anything he isn't going to pivot to get votes. That is why he won in 2016 and lost in 2020. If he pivots after he gets COVID he likely stays in office. He doubled down and it killed him. But he HAD to double down...his status as God King depended on it.

This was always a possibility with the GOP in my lifetime. The difference was people like GHWB, his kid, Nixon (before me but still) even Reagan felt that being President was a job of service. They may have been awful at it or may have done evil things for dumb reasons but even at their worst they were never going to go Fascist because they believed in at least the IDEA of what America stands for. They may pervert for their own means, but they wouldn't incite a coup just to keep their job. (their underlings would but that is different)

The co-opting of the Tea Party was the beginning of the end of the GOP. The old guard were never able to control them like they hoped and many in that crew used their stature and solid voting blocks to force the Party into the far right, non-negotiable POS it is today. Cruz and the Freedom Caucus were masters at it. Now they were always in the Party, but they were usually pushed aside and placated behind closed doors in election years. Now they had real power and knew how to use it.

Then, on top of those nutbars you had Trump who brought in the Anti-Establishment crew. The 10% of the country that never votes, and hates the government no matter who is in charge. The ones who believe 9/11 was an inside job. The ones who hated GHWB because of Ruby Ridge and hated Clinton because he was nice to Jews and A-RABS! The ones who think viruses are hoaxes and the Commies are coming to get us still! The ones who to this day still think "Q" is real and Alex Jones speaks truths. 40 years ago the GOP would have laughed at these clowns as unwashed sheep ready to fleece. Now they put them in charge because in a divided country that 10% = power. They sold their soul and it aint coming back.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Looks like MGT has been obsessed with AOC for at least two years now...

https://twitter.com/kfile/status/139...054842368?s=21

Straight up creepy video.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      Looks like MGT has been obsessed with AOC for at least two years now...

Can we get rid of this crazy and go back to using MTG for Magic: The Gathering like God intended?
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        Can we get rid of this crazy and go back to using MTG for Magic: The Gathering like God intended?
                        Every time I see it I think, "oh sh-t, my mortgage is unstable."
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No. The GOP was on this path ever since Reagan took it over. All the elements were there. Rabidly anti-intellectual populism. Iron links with Plutes. Religious lunatics.

The Republican party started down the path to authoritarian white supremacist nativism in 1978. Dump was just the next turn of the wheel, he was nothing new.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Aoc is right- the other side wouldn’t allow this.

time for the Dems to start playing that way

https://mobile.twitter.com/AOC/statu...30641693609984

Comment

How were they even allowed to be in there?
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

At this point I'm pretty convinced that Margarine is trolling because she hopes some dumba55 tries to attack her so she can play the "So much for the tolerant left" game.

Comment

Working...
                                X