Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently Gaetz asked Trump for a blanket pardon...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Well, there is moving your headquarters, and then there is moving your company. Delta has 33k employees in GA. If you think all of them would move to *Minneapolis*, well, I guess you've never met southerners... Now, a symbolic gesture of moving your 200-person corporate office (a la Boeing's "move" to Chicago or Toyota NA's move from Torrance, CA to Irvine(?), TX) is doable. But I'm not sure what would be in it for Delta - their employees would just be peeved that the C-suite types moved on to a greener pasture while leaving them behind to deal with NJC (new Jim Crow).
      No company would ever move HQ once they hit a certain size. It would decapitate them.

3M did that and threatened to move to Texas. Fast forward to a couple years ago. They sold the Austin campus.

no company that has 10,000+ employees would ever pick up and move. It doesn't matter if it's from a hellhole to Valhalla. You aren't going to convince 10,000 families to move. And it would eviscerate the housing market on both ends. Even moving 5,000 families would be insane.

maybe remote work changes the calculation, but no way. Even if you left people behind, you'd never get the sweetheart deals unless the GOP ran the state.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...cott-coca-cola

Rand Paul saying BOYCOTT COCA-COLA.

For an anti-cancel-culture party they sure do run to the cancel-culture on things.
        You know what? This battle of culture wars is the war of attrition we needed. The GOP can rig the votes all they want. But they don't control the spending power of the United States, much less the rest of the world. Eventually these companies are going to stop giving to the GOP as the significantly larger democratic base says **** this we don't need to buy your product.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I doubt it. A lot of these companies pay little to no corporate tax because of the GOP they don't give a crap what the average person thinks. Even the ones who fled after the Insurrection will be back supporting GOPers by the Midterms. This is all BS political theater.

Coke and Delta will always donate to those that help their bottom line.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

No company would ever move HQ once they hit a certain size. It would decapitate them.

3M did that and threatened to move to Texas. Fast forward to a couple years ago. They sold the Austin campus.

no company that has 10,000+ employees would ever pick up and move. It doesn't matter if it's from a hellhole to Valhalla. You aren't going to convince 10,000 families to move. And it would eviscerate the housing market on both ends. Even moving 5,000 families would be insane.

maybe remote work changes the calculation, but no way. Even if you left people behind, you'd never get the sweetheart deals unless the GOP ran the state.
            GE big enough?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

You know what? This battle of culture wars is the war of attrition we needed. The GOP can rig the votes all they want. But they don't control the spending power of the United States, much less the rest of the world. Eventually these companies are going to stop giving to the GOP as the significantly larger democratic base says **** this we don't need to buy your product.
              I've thought for a while that consumer unions are the 21st century unions. Our labor doesn't matter anymore so you can **** us? Fine. Our spending matters. Try to supply side that.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                McConnell: Corporations should stay out of politics!

Also McConnell: Can I have some of that sweet, sweet Citizens United campaign cash?
                If I were a corporation, I would take heed of his suggestion, and not give him any more money at all.

Funny that politicians are doing the "shut up and play" move on their donors.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

GE big enough?
                  GE did not end up moving very much, and in fact returned a lot of the money MA gave them for it.

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...s-13617431.php
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

If I were a corporation, I would take heed of his suggestion, and not give him any more money at all.

Funny that politicians are doing the "shut up and play" move on their donors.
                    He literally - literally - said "shut up and give me your money".
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      This. Corporations care about electing pols who will keep taxes low and/or full of exploitable loopholes. Everything else is just a matter of good, smart marketing to the largest possible consumer base. Boomers are PO'd that the generational shift is in full swing and no one gives a sh*t about their Reagan era values anymore. It's ironic because they should've seen it coming ever since they fell for "Buy the World a Coke" when they were teenagers, while their own parents undoubtedly complained that America was going to hell in a handbasket because of those godd@mn pinko commie hippies.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

This. Corporations care about electing pols who will keep taxes low and/or full of exploitable loopholes. Everything else is just a matter of good, smart marketing to the largest possible consumer base. Boomers are PO'd that the generational shift is in full swing and no one gives a sh*t about their Reagan era values anymore. It's ironic because they should've seen it coming ever since they fell for "Buy the World a Coke" when they were teenagers, while their own parents undoubtedly complained that America was going to hell in a handbasket because of those godd@mn pinko commie hippies.
                        Who the **** can say no to Donald Draper?

Comment

• Originally posted by swansong View Post

ge did not end up moving very much, and in fact returned a lot of the money ma gave them for it.

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...s-13617431.php
                          hq
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

GE big enough?
                            They had under 1,000 employees there according to this:
                            https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...rs-6755956.php
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I doubt it. A lot of these companies pay little to no corporate tax because of the GOP they don't give a crap what the average person thinks. Even the ones who fled after the Insurrection will be back supporting GOPers by the Midterms. This is all BS political theater.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't remember (because I have the attention span of a goldfish) a time like this where companies are having their feet held to the fire on social issues. Usually they stick to the tax laws like you said. Companies and entities are now publicly condemning and punishing this bad behavior.

This is a major change.
                              Code:

Comment

Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't remember (because I have the attention span of a goldfish) a time like this where companies are having their feet held to the fire on social issues. Usually they stick to the tax laws like you said. Companies and entities are now publicly condemning and punishing this bad behavior.

This is a major change.
                                Is it? I don't much see it I wont lie. There has always been social movements like this where people call for boycotts and if the media picks it up the company puts out a friendly press release to end the news cycle and makes some superficial change to appease the mob. Then 6 months later everyone forgets and the cycle continues.

We like to think because things are louder things are changing. They really aren't. GA isn't changing their law, and no other state that deals with this will either. Coke is not going to risk their sweet low corporate tax rates just because a bunch of people on Twitter pretend they are going to not drink it because they donate to GOPers. Newsflash, none of them will just like Trump and his moron followers won't either. All the randos saying they were quitting Delta...would have been back if Delta had better prices for a trip they needed within a few months. Tim Cook ripped the law only AFTER it passed and every Apple cult member praised him to high heaven and just ignored that he had zero to say when he actually could make an impact. People want to be placated, they don't have the follow through to actually fight.

I mean jesus if any of this really mattered Chick-Fil-A would be struggling. Last I checked they are doing just fine despite supposedly every Lefty Progressive boycotting them over their religious policies. You know why...cause half of them quit their boycott the second they needed a sandwich while on a layover and never looked back. Their beliefs only matter in as much as they don't inconvenience them.

Write it down...right before the Midterms (or right after depending) CNN/MSNBC/WAPO/NYTimes will do a story that looks into various controversial candidates in the cycle and who donated to them. All of these businesses people are praising now for taking a stand after the fact will be on said list as will others like say Target or Best Buy. You don't even have to go back that far to realize this is true...how many of these companies "stood for BLM and Social Justice" in the wake of the George Floyd murder and still donated to people after that who trafficked in racism and supported Jim Crow-esque laws? Quite a few of them as they were called out for it in the wake of the GA law. Corporations don't care what you think, because they know they have what you want. They will play both sides against the middle and get all of the money.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X