Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Got it.

I think of:

highly educated: med school, PhD, tier 1 BA
    educated: business, engineering, or law degree, other BA
    undereducated: no BA
    uneducated: no HS diploma

My estimate of the breakdown:

POC

highly educated: 90% Dem
    educated: 90% Dem
    undereducated: 80% Dem
    uneducated: 70% Dem

White

highly educated: 90% Dem
    educated: 70% Dem
    undereducated: 40% Dem
    uneducated: 20% Dem
    Amongst the queer community, I'd say 95% of us are Dem, only because we don't have a further left party to lean on.

As for education: I'm Amber Marie, trans woman, LGBTQIA rights and DV/SA survivors advocate and activist. I live in Michigan and am grateful for places like Grand Rapids, Marquette, Lansing, Flint, and Detroit, which provided enough cover to get us a Dem governor and turn us blue last November. I have my bachelor's in psychology from Northern Michigan and am blasting through my MSW from Denver University. However, I work a retail job because it's what I could get at the moment.

And I'll be real with you. Being educated and working class and watching myself and my peers be routinely dismissed as "uneducated flyover fatties..." doesn't do you any favors. Reverend Lovejoy once asked "what have I done to lose them?" And if I remember that episode correctly, one of the saints came off the walls and said "the real question is, what have you done to KEEP them?" At one time, Dems had the working class. The messaging was strong. It was direct. It was powerful. But you went away from that and Republicans slid right in.

Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      And I'll be real with you. Being educated and working class and watching myself and my peers be routinely dismissed as "uneducated flyover fatties..." doesn't do you any favors. Reverend Lovejoy once asked "what have I done to lose them?" And if I remember that episode correctly, one of the saints came off the walls and said "the real question is, what have you done to KEEP them?" At one time, Dems had the working class. The messaging was strong. It was direct. It was powerful. But you went away from that and Republicans slid right in.
      But being contemptibly dismissed, even when claiming to wrap it all in humor, has only ever built a feeling of appreciation and affinity reflected back towards you from the targeted group. It's clearly you, not him...
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Amongst the queer community, I'd say 95% of us are Dem, only because we don't have a further left party to lean on.
        LGBTQ are honorarily non-white. I can't imagine why any LGBTQ person would every be right wing. Not a lot of Jewish Nazis.

And women skew another 10 left across the board.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The white working class left the Dems as much as the Dems left the white working class. I'm old enough to remember the Macomb, MI betrayal and the Reagan Dems.

Turned out after 40 years of defending working class interests all it took to peel off blue collar whites to the GOP was an avuncular imbecile and Lee Atwater's racist political ads.

Working class and midwestern whites had opposable thumbs. They could count. They have only themselves to blame that they voted their race hatred and cut their own throats as a result. No pandering -- when they figure it out, we're here. Coastal liberals have been demonized by the center white Dems for fifty years and we didn't peace out.

Big girl panties. It's life and death, not feewies. If midwestern whites want to sob they should look at urban blacks and then shut up -- comparatively they've been on easy street.

Entitlement doesn't stop at the Mississippi River.

Last edited by Kepler; 03-08-2021, 04:02 PM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The white working class left the Dems as much as the Dems left the white working class. I'm old enough to remember the Macomb, MI betrayal and the Reagan Dems.

Turned out after 40 years of defending working class interests all it took to peel off blue collar whites to the GOP was an avuncular imbecile and Lee Atwater's racist political ads.

Working class and midwestern whites had opposable thumbs. They could count. They have only themselves to blame that they voted their race hatred and cut their own throats as a result. No pandering -- when they figure it out, we're here. Coastal liberals have been demonized by the center white Dems for fifty years and we didn't peace out.

Big girl panties. It's life and death, not feewies. If midwestern whites want to sob they should look at urban blacks and then shut up -- comparatively they've been on easy street.

This, coming from someone who tells me I should give up a situation that's rapidly improving for my people here and go live somewhere where a closet costs $3,000 a month if I can get a good deal on it.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

CNN displayed a chyron a few minutes ago that read: Democrats Pass Popular Covid Bill With 0 Republican Votes. Keep hammering that sh-t home. Every. Damn. Day. Republicans don’t give a **** about your families. 0. ****s.
              1000000% agreed!

Put it this way...I read a story about why in Texas Hispanics went for Trump better than expected and polling showed. They hypothesized (and there was some anecdotal evidence) that Trump's name being on the Stimulus Payment helped. How many people thought the extra $12 they got from the Trump's Tax Cut was helpful? People are tired of the culture wars and the identity politics anyways but especially after the year we have had. They want to know the name of the people who actually help them out. Well, one party is whining about Green Eggs and Ham on Faux while the other is passing legislation to get money and relief to the people. Remind them of that every day until the Midterms.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Part of why I laugh at the whole "Cancel Culture" bull**** is this:

Parents of Millennials in 1999: don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Parents of Millennials in 2016: Freedom Eagle dot Facebook says Hillary invented AIDS.

Parents of Millennials in 2018: Patriot Missiles dot Tanks says AOC is not the spawn of Satan, but Satan.

Parents of Millennials in 2021: Steven Shapiro dot Whatever says Dr. Seuss and Mr. Potato Head are REALLY offensive, and then the post after that is claiming putting your PIN number in reverse at the ATM will summon the cops if you're being mugged.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

1000000% agreed!

Put it this way...I read a story about why in Texas Hispanics went for Trump better than expected and polling showed. They hypothesized (and there was some anecdotal evidence) that Trump's name being on the Stimulus Payment helped. How many people thought the extra $12 they got from the Trump's Tax Cut was helpful? People are tired of the culture wars and the identity politics anyways but especially after the year we have had. They want to know the name of the people who actually help them out. Well, one party is whining about Green Eggs and Ham on Faux while the other is passing legislation to get money and relief to the people. Remind them of that every day until the Midterms.
                  https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1368545170103414785?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1368545170103414785%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eschato nblog.com%2F

Rep. Beyer (D): “I was knocking doors for Biden in Pa - the most memorable conversation I had was w/ a guy who said, ‘I just want to know who will send me the checks’ “We’re always doing things like Employee Retention Tax Credit.. they don’t feel real to people” - the checks do
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Compared to anyone, coastal elites have had it the easiest. The ones who get that the most likely vote Democratic at all levels of government. They aren’t NIMBYs.
                    To me, part of being educated is recognizing that you can still be on the same side of an issue as people who look down their nose at you, but don’t perceive themselves as doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                      Compared to anyone, coastal elites have had it the easiest.
                      Certainly true. The point is, to be white in this country is to get a free ride, so I don't want to hear anybody lighter than Halle Berry whine about anything, ever.

There's work to do, do it with a smile or a snarl, but do it. Let's kill Nazis, then b-tch at each other in the bar later and have hate sex on the roof.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• We need to go Lt. Aldo/Boondock Saints on them, since we know Nazis infiltrate all levels of the criminal justice system. You never see Batman and Bruce Wayne at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Maybe better hold off on adding Puerto Rico as that 51st state.

Lobbying with Quakers???

Comment

• Add Roy Blunt (R-Mo) to the list of retiring Senators.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

go live somewhere where a closet costs $3,000 a month if I can get a good deal on it.
                              If you can get a closet for $3k a month in NYC, that's a steal; let me know!

Seriously, though, more poor people live in NYC than any other city in the US. Now, yeah, I don't want to do it, but I don't want to live in Michigan either.

All that red? That's millions of people. Existing from day to day. And most of them aren't even white so you already start out ahead of them.

It can be done; people have been doing it, on nothing, for 150 years.

The money economy is cute and all, but it's not where many people live. A large part of the human race are still hunter / gatherers. Jobs are fine for unimaginative schmoes like me, but they imply you are already ensconced in the system. There is an entire parallel America that is completely beyond the official quote economy. It's just not something they teach about in schools, because governments and courts and cops and banks don't control it, and they really don't like to admit they aren't the authorities they think they are.

I wonder what percentage of the human beings who live within the ostensible borders of this country actually fall under its formal control in terms of law or economics. 60%, maybe? And yet the other 40% live, day to day, somehow. Did you even think about how that is possible? Whether there is an entire portion of human life that exists completely outside of our rulers' (and our) consciousness?
                              Last edited by Kepler; 03-09-2021, 01:25 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Are you done talking?

Comment

Working...
                                X