Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117th Congress: DEMS IN DISARRAY!!!111!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I don't understand your point. The State of GA has zero to do with her being on Committees outside of voting her into office. The Dems aren't voting to remove her from Congress, just kicking her off the Budget and Education and Labor Committees which they can do with a simple majority if I read right. She will then be replaced by a different GOPer.

The people of GA will still have their chance to vote her out, in the meantime she won't have her seat on a committee she doesn't belong on. All the Dems are doing is exactly what McCarthy did to Steve King. (and the Dems asked him to do here)

And yes the move is in response to the Dems...that is the whole point. They have no basis for it (nor the votes for it) they are doing it to prove a point and because they are racist as hell and hate her. The two don't parallel no matter how much they pretend they do.

psych,

The House GOP might unify for this specific action, but their issues aren't going away just because MTG becomes a martyr for 12 seconds. As long as she is in the party and people like Gym Jordan and Matt Gaetz want the Liz Cheneys gone in favor of the Trumpers the problem will exist. I think you are reaching there. The vote last night proves the problem isn't going away until the Trump element goes away.

And if they want to flip it around when they get power and start removing people willy nilly when they get power that is the price you pay if you think it is worth it. Omar has never said anything even approaching what MTG has and I say that as someone who has ripped her on this board for the things she said. I have no idea if the risk is worth it...but I also know you can't just refuse to do things for fear of retaliation that is what gets Dems in trouble all the time. It is a mess.

No one is going to vote GOP because they feel sorry for MTG (though some will try and justify the vote by saying they are...they always were voting that way though) and no one is going to flip Dem because they leave her on the Education Committee. So the question becomes (and I don't have an answer for it) is it better to leave her on the committees to cause problems and tacitly legitimize many of the things she still won't publicly disavow or take away her bully pulpit? What do you do if one party, that constitutes almost half of the House, refuses to govern or do what is right? She didn't just make some backhanded comment about Jews that might be construed as racist she was trafficking in some of the same conspiracy theories that lead to 1/6 (including a video where she says they should storm the Capitol in 2019) and mainstreamed some of the most Anti-Semitic and Anti-Muslim stuff you can find. She is on record calling for violence against members of a Congress she is now part of. It is a very weird situation...

Like I said I don't have an answer...because the real answer is the GOP Leader should have done the right thing instead he doubled down praying that she won't cause any issues and that by doing so he will be Speaker if they flip the House. I would probably prefer they let the Ethics Committee handle it but I have a feeling that will lead to the very same issue.
    I'll let Slap Shot speak for himself, but what I took from it was this: MTG announced herself as crazy before she was ever elected, yet she was elected anyway. With respect to her service in Congress, that's really up to GA voters.

With respect to her committee assignments, while it may be technically possible for the Dem's to force her ouster from committees, it's a questionable maneuver. Typically participation, or removal as punishment, has been the province of the representative's party, not the adverse party, or party in power. If the Dems proceed to remove her, it sort of sets the norm of the party in power removing people from the other party from committees whenever they say something that grieves them.
    Last edited by SJHovey; 02-04-2021, 11:11 AM.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I don't understand your point. The State of GA has zero to do with her being on Committees outside of voting her into office. The Dems aren't voting to remove her from Congress, just kicking her off the Budget and Education and Labor Committees which they can do with a simple majority if I read right. She will then be replaced by a different GOPer.

The people of GA will still have their chance to vote her out, in the meantime she won't have her seat on a committee she doesn't belong on. All the Dems are doing is exactly what McCarthy did to Steve King. (and the Dems asked him to do here)

And yes the move is in response to the Dems...that is the whole point. They have no basis for it (nor the votes for it) they are doing it to prove a point and because they are racist as hell and hate her. The two don't parallel no matter how much they pretend they do.

psych,

The House GOP might unify for this specific action, but their issues aren't going away just because MTG becomes a martyr for 12 seconds. As long as she is in the party and people like Gym Jordan and Matt Gaetz want the Liz Cheneys gone in favor of the Trumpers the problem will exist. I think you are reaching there. The vote last night proves the problem isn't going away until the Trump element goes away.

And if they want to flip it around when they get power and start removing people willy nilly when they get power that is the price you pay if you think it is worth it. Omar has never said anything even approaching what MTG has and I say that as someone who has ripped her on this board for the things she said. I have no idea if the risk is worth it...but I also know you can't just refuse to do things for fear of retaliation that is what gets Dems in trouble all the time. It is a mess.

No one is going to vote GOP because they feel sorry for MTG (though some will try and justify the vote by saying they are...they always were voting that way though) and no one is going to flip Dem because they leave her on the Education Committee. So the question becomes (and I don't have an answer for it) is it better to leave her on the committees to cause problems and tacitly legitimize many of the things she still won't publicly disavow or take away her bully pulpit? What do you do if one party, that constitutes almost half of the House, refuses to govern or do what is right? She didn't just make some backhanded comment about Jews that might be construed as racist she was trafficking in some of the same conspiracy theories that lead to 1/6 (including a video where she says they should storm the Capitol in 2019) and mainstreamed some of the most Anti-Semitic and Anti-Muslim stuff you can find. She is on record calling for violence against members of a Congress she is now part of. It is a very weird situation...

Like I said I don't have an answer...because the real answer is the GOP Leader should have done the right thing instead he doubled down praying that she won't cause any issues and that by doing so he will be Speaker if they flip the House. I would probably prefer they let the Ethics Committee handle it but I have a feeling that will lead to the very same issue.
      The GOP should have stripped her of her assignments, and they chose not to. End of story. Let the voters of her district decide if what she said and did as a private citizen are worthy of her no longer having a seat in Congress.
      Ilhan Omar’s comments are certainly not even close to being on the same lines as what MTG’s comments have been, but clearly the GOP doesn’t care whether they’re equal in their ridiculousness/dangerousness. They’d do it because we did it first. I’m sure you and whoever else on this board who is represented by Omar would be livid if she was stripped of her committee assignments by McCarthy and Co. come 2023, as you should be.
      Pass big Covid relief. Raise the minimum wage. Throw some climate incentives in there. Pass as much liberal legislation as possible into budget reconciliation and any other avenues that we can. I’m not afraid of the repercussions of liberal legislation, because I know it’s going to tangibly help people in need. If that isn’t good enough for voters come the midterms, so be it. We shouldn’t legislate out of fear on that front, but stripping the opposing party’s legislators of their duties/assignments seems like a bridge too far that solves nothing right now, and could come back to bite us later. And for what? The optics don’t look good for Democrats if they meddle. The optics currently don’t look good for the GOP. Let them set themselves on fire and watch them burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
        The GOP can easily spin this as Democratic overreach,
        That doesn't matter anymore. We can no longer govern in fear of what the Nazis might do.

Do the right thing, period. Let the rest come out in the wash. Even if we lose, we'll have done the right thing.

And we won't lose, because for once we'll be fighting hard for the people, not just our jobs.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I'll let Slap Shot speak for himself, but what I took from it was this: MTG announced herself as crazy before she was ever elected, yet she was elected anyway. With respect to her service in Congress, that's really up to GA voters.

With respect to her committee assignments, while it may be technically possible for the Dem's to force her ouster from committees, it's a questionable maneuver. Typically participation, or removal as punishment, has been the province of the representative's party, not the adverse party, or party in power. If the Dems proceed to remove her, it sort of sets the norm of the party in power removing people from the other party from committees whenever they say something that grieves them.
          100% agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That doesn't matter anymore. We can no longer govern in fear of what the Nazis might do.

Do the right thing, period. Let the rest come out in the wash. Even if we lose, we'll have done the right thing.

And we won't lose, because for once we'll be fighting hard for the people, not just our jobs.
            So we’re going to tell Georgians in the 14th district who it’s appropriate for them to vote for? Nah, I don’t think so. That’s not doing anything for the people. That’s just being spiteful.

Comment

So we’re going to tell Georgians in the 14th district who it’s appropriate for them to vote for? Nah, I don’t think so. That’s not doing anything for the people. That’s just being spiteful.
              If they want to vote for someone who called for the execution of Obama, Clinton, Pelosi, and others, they can have someone who doesn't have any committee members like Steve King did a few years ago. I think you have the wrong person who's being "spiteful" Ironically, if she just apologized, the whole thing would probably be dropped, but Republicans never admit wrongdoing anymore.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

My point is we don't refrain from doing it because of what Nazis think.

I am not in favor of kicking her out because I want the will of the people to be d-mn near inviolate. But I don't care whether the Nazis can spin it. And I don't care if it sets a precedent which they would somehow abuse because they'd do it anyway.

Cuz they're Nazis. As in, for real, not ironically.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I can’t say I’ve seen a party strip an opposing party’s members of their committees yet. Just because we can in this case, doesn’t mean we should. What a stupid can of worms to open up right now. Let the GOP do it first in 2023 then, and we can cross that bridge once they strike first. Slapping someone in the face and then when they slap you back you say “See, I knew you’d hit me” isn’t exactly a strong argument for stripping Greene of her assignments because the GOP might do it to one of our members in 2023. Whatever chance they do it now rises to 100% if we do it now, and first. And once Omar no longer has her committees, then what? How does she get them back? Do Handy et al. say “Well f-ck, she’s useless to us now, might as well vote in someone else?” How about if they decide to strip AOC? The part we currently agree on is the GOP won’t give two f-cks what the supposed reason is for stripping AOC. They could say she’s a BU grad, they hate dogs, strip her of her assignments, and then point to when we did it to MTG this year, say “Y’all did it first”, and the MSM prints that over and over again. Maybe Vox or Slate properly points out that MTG is a piece of sh-t and AOC isn’t and that the two situations were completely different, but ABC and Chuck Todd and Wolf Blitzer won’t.
                  I don’t give two f-cks about what Nazi voters think about all of this. I care about the Biden voters who happily voted for their GOP Congressperson/Senator in the process. They voted Biden because they want bigger checks and a better minimum wage. And if they didn’t, whatever, we’ll do it anyways because THOSE are the right things to do. HELPING people in need is the right thing to do. Do that without fear of elections.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post

If they want to vote for someone who called for the execution of Obama, Clinton, Pelosi, and others, they can have someone who doesn't have any committee members like Steve King did a few years ago. I think you have the wrong person who's being "spiteful" Ironically, if she just apologized, the whole thing would probably be dropped, but Republicans never admit wrongdoing anymore.
                    Didn’t she apologize? Sort of? Can’t say I watched the video. Either way, let the GOP choose to look foolish for not punishing her. I’m okay with Democrats censuring her. She deserves that, and there’s nothing overreaching for censuring such ridiculous behavior.

Comment

I can’t say I’ve seen a party strip an opposing party’s members of their committees yet. Just because we can in this case, doesn’t mean we should. What a stupid can of worms to open up right now. Let the GOP do it first in 2023 then, and we can cross that bridge once they strike first. Slapping someone in the face and then when they slap you back you say “See, I knew you’d hit me” isn’t exactly a strong argument for stripping Greene of her assignments because the GOP might do it to one of our members in 2023. Whatever chance they do it now rises to 100% if we do it now, and first. And once Omar no longer has her committees, then what? How does she get them back? Do Handy et al. say “Well f-ck, she’s useless to us now, might as well vote in someone else?” How about if they decide to strip AOC? The part we currently agree on is the GOP won’t give two f-cks what the supposed reason is for stripping AOC. They could say she’s a BU grad, they hate dogs, strip her of her assignments, and then point to when we did it to MTG this year, say “Y’all did it first”, and the MSM prints that over and over again. Maybe Vox or Slate properly points out that MTG is a piece of sh-t and AOC isn’t and that the two situations were completely different, but ABC and Chuck Todd and Wolf Blitzer won’t.
                      I don’t give two f-cks about what Nazi voters think about all of this. I care about the Biden voters who happily voted for their GOP Congressperson/Senator in the process. They voted Biden because they want bigger checks and a better minimum wage. And if they didn’t, whatever, we’ll do it anyways because THOSE are the right things to do. HELPING people in need is the right thing to do. Do that without fear of elections.
                      I saw a little of her speech and it seems to me this whole episode just gives her a bigger platform. She absolutely should not be on the committees but I think this whole episode plays into her hands and helps her cause.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• "And that's why we mindlessly obey a guy who put gold trim all over his NYC apartment." https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/statu...69456946716679

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Which is why I don't have the right answer. I don't advocate her being removed from Congress (unless she says this stuff while elected) but she has no business being on the Education Committee if she doesn't disavow the conspiracy theories. She has been given ample opportunity to do so. (despite being muzzled!1!1!)

I am not in Congress I don't know what I would feel if I was there. I don't necessarily like the precedent it sets but I also don't like that McCarthy full on trolled by putting her where he did. And make no mistake that is exactly what he did. This crap isnt new, he knew about these posts after the runoff in the GOP primary. Her opponent for the nomination told McCarthy all about her. McCarthy, if he had a spine, would have stopped all of this but chose not to. I am not sure what to do in light of that. If I thought it would do anything I would say censure her...if I thought the Ethics Committee would bail out both parties I would suggest that. Things are just too divided even in the GOP for any sort of pushback against her to occur.

The problem is, once again, the GOP has decided they don't need to do the right thing (or even the normal thing) and just want to keep pushing the boundaries. If no one can be held to account for the things they advocate and spread then there is no way to stop it. Putting her on committees that deal with Education has to be a bridge too far though it is like putting science deniers on the Climate committees it just makes things worse.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Removing her from a committee /= kicking her out of Congress and barring her from re-election.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I can’t say I’ve seen a party strip an opposing party’s members of their committees yet. Just because we can in this case, doesn’t mean we should. What a stupid can of worms to open up right now. Let the GOP do it first in 2023 then, and we can cross that bridge once they strike first. Slapping someone in the face and then when they slap you back you say “See, I knew you’d hit me” isn’t exactly a strong argument for stripping Greene of her assignments because the GOP might do it to one of our members in 2023. Whatever chance they do it now rises to 100% if we do it now, and first. And once Omar no longer has her committees, then what? How does she get them back? Do Handy et al. say “Well f-ck, she’s useless to us now, might as well vote in someone else?” How about if they decide to strip AOC? The part we currently agree on is the GOP won’t give two f-cks what the supposed reason is for stripping AOC. They could say she’s a BU grad, they hate dogs, strip her of her assignments, and then point to when we did it to MTG this year, say “Y’all did it first”, and the MSM prints that over and over again. Maybe Vox or Slate properly points out that MTG is a piece of sh-t and AOC isn’t and that the two situations were completely different, but ABC and Chuck Todd and Wolf Blitzer won’t.
                              No we would vote her back in and force them to do it again. The same thing the GA 14th will do with MTG most likely. Same thing that NY will do for AOC. The truth is you can only really pull the move once before it looks ridiculously petty and the negatives outweigh the positives. Plus, most likely Pelosi (or McCarthy) will just make a worse pick in replacement just to prove a point.

Honestly, the best outcome out of all of this (since McCarthy is a spineless twat) is that the vote fails. Have a couple of Dems decide not to do it for the reasons we all don't think it is a good idea (precedent) but also still show how lockstep the GOP is with MTG. (since we know they won't cross the line) Get them on record, and start the barnstorming now. Paint yourselves as willing to compromise and show they aren't. Show you are willing to listen to "the people" [insert jerking off gesture here] while they only listen to each other. Best of both worlds.

And as far as I know she never apologized. She disavowed lying about the school shootings but only AFTER she was outed in an interview I posted here where she admitted she was lying about them being false flags. If she gave a PC and just said she was caught up in hysteria but she thinks Q is trash and that violent acts against the government and Congresspeople is disgusting she would be fine. She needs more than a mediocre press release and an interview on OANN. She needs to be taken to account. Trying to scrub her social media just proves she knows it problematic she just doesnt have the political skill to do what must be done.

Problem is if she does that she is out. She got in because she courted that crap.
                              Last edited by Handyman; 02-04-2021, 12:55 PM.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• A Twitter thread detailing her excuse laden appeal.

I still think this is a bad look for the Dems even if I 100% agree with the sentiment behind it.

Comment

Working...
                                X